1. 1. Do you have any tattoos?

• Yes, alot
    • Yes, a few
    • No, i don't plan on
    • No, but i plan on eventually

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one on my upper arm. My best friend and I made a pact when we were in high school that we would get a tattoo if the University of Texas ever won the Football National Championship again. I figured it would never happen, but after they won we both got Longhorn heads. He just wanted the black out line, but I went with the burnt orange filling.

I have 3 a cross on my rght forearm, a kanji symbol for "Dragon" on my left bicep (I was born in the chinese year of the dragon) and one on my right bicep. I'm thinking about one for my back, some kind of an angel but haven't made up my mind about that yet. If I do get the Angel I'll call it good.

I don't have any and I don't see ever having any. I just don't understand how anyone can get a tattoo by walking into a shop, looking on the wall, and saying "Yeah, that skull up there would look great on me when I'm 70 years old."

As an artist, I can't see having anything permanently put on my body that I didn't design myself.....and I have yet to design anything that I would want permanently on my body. ;)

What ^^^he^^^ said. :)

The only situation I could see getting a tattoo is one like where eight of the nine from The Fellowship of the Ring all got the elvish symbol for "nine". That was pretty neat and they were tiny little things. I don't have any plans to go on any great treks with a small group of people so I don't see this happening to me. :D

As an artist, I can't see having anything permanently put on my body that I didn't design myself.....and I have yet to design anything that I would want permanently on my body. ;)

Perhaps so.. but there are other artists who have designed stuff they would like on their bodies permanently. Not all tattoos come from off a wall ;)

Every single tattoo I have is a custom job that I designed, sketched/drawn & colored. All the tattooist had to do was create a transfer, stick it on me and trace/color with the needle gun. :D

And at 70 years old, I'm quite sure I won't give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks and will have absolved myself of worrying if it "looks cool/good" on me. I left that mentality back with high school :xp:

Granted, I completely agree that it has seemingly become "trendy" and I pity the people that get them today "just because their friend did", or it was the "kewl thing to do" at the time.

Mine were for personal reasons and defining events in my life. They serve as reminders and memories of those events, good or bad, but at least they were intentional and I had a part in their creation. :)

Every Tat I have has some meaning for me. I thought long and hard before I got my first one and am glad that I waited to do it. (I was 27) I always suggest to people to wait and really think about what to get and never get one because it's trendy. IMO that's the worst reason to get one and most ppl that I know who got one for that reason did end up regreting that decision.

I don't have any and I don't see ever having any. I just don't understand how anyone can get a tattoo by walking into a shop, looking on the wall, and saying "Yeah, that skull up there would look great on me when I'm 70 years old."

Well thats kind of an interesting statement, what makes you think everyone who gets a tattoo takes it off the wall? My full sleeve on my right arm was drawn on me it consists of a memorial to three significant people in my life that have died.

i wouldn't consider that a pointless tattoo

oh and to chainz i also have a bunch of piercings

Dumb is when you get one on your face - like Mike Tyson. I never wanted one, but where mine is I don’t think it will ever look bad and even if it does I don’t think I will be wearing a lot sleeveless shirts when I’m eighty. Most of my friends and family don’t even know I have one.

I've got 4 tats, used to have a labret until I had to take it out for work...

Everyone who's like "mooh it's gonna look stupid when your old" needs to realise that's still a whole life away, and when you'll be old I think you'll have bigger problems on your hands than what your tattoos look like...

I love my tats, designed them myself (well the ideas came from me, that tattoo artist (yes it is an art) did the drawing n stuff) and I'm gonna get plenty more...

Some of my ideas so far (anyone who steals this will receive an anthrax filled letterbomb!):

* Full Star Wars sleeve for my lower left arm, including "May the Force be with you" in Aurabesh script through it

* Full Japanese Samurai in a garden sleeve for my upper left arm

* Full Superman/Flames sleeve with the Rose I have already for my lower right arm

* Full Musically inspired sleeve for my upper right arm to fill what I have already

* Full Japanese back piece involving a dragon and a tiger

* Crossing pistols on my abdomen

* Wolverine (comic book style) on my leg

* Autobots and Deceptions symbols (probably on my legs)

* A Phoenix with my fiancee's name in Aurabesh scripted through it on my chest

I hate those people who get them off the wall and get this microscopic bloody dolphin or rose or stupid Japanese symbol god knows where, get a life, that's not a tattoo its a bee sting...

Perhaps so.. but there are other artists who have designed stuff they would like on their bodies permanently. Not all tattoos come from off a wall ;)

Every single tattoo I have is a custom job that I designed, sketched/drawn & colored. All the tattooist had to do was create a transfer, stick it on me and trace/color with the needle gun. :D

And at 70 years old, I'm quite sure I won't give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks and will have absolved myself of worrying if it "looks cool/good" on me. I left that mentality back with high school :xp:

Granted, I completely agree that it has seemingly become "trendy" and I pity the people that get them today "just because their friend did", or it was the "kewl thing to do" at the time.

Mine were for personal reasons and defining events in my life. They serve as reminders and memories of those events, good or bad, but at least they were intentional and I had a part in their creation. :)

QFT/QFE

Couldn't have said it better myself...You got any pics Chainz? If you don't want to share it with some of our narrow minded companions who might get offended you can always PM them ;)

I have a few tattoos...and...piercings... ;)
Ditto.

An unsolicited word of advice to those that haven't taken the plunge but are considering it:

Tattoos are forever. Don't get anything that can't be covered up with business attire unless you are 100% positive that you will never want a white-collar job (ever in your entire life). Also, "trendy" tattoos might be cool now, but look forward to a lifetime of regret as soon as the tribal/Taz train departs the station (assuming that it hasn't already).

If you can, try to go for custom artwork rather than picking something off the wall. Most people get tattoos to show how original they are. Nothing will make you feel less original than seeing "your" tattoo on twenty other people.

Picking your artist is like picking a mate: Sure you can kick them to the curb if they do something you don't like later, but they might give you something that you'll be stuck with the rest of your life if you aren't choosy. Ask to see examples of other work *they* have done (the stuff you see in the books might be done by another artist in the same shop, or even someone that doesn't work there anymore).

As for piercings....following your after care instructions religiously and depending on what you pierce, some bruising is normal. So long as you don't stretch anything larger that 6-8ga, the hole should pretty much disappear if you ever decide that you don't want the piercing anymore.

Always use the services of a professional. When visiting the shop, ask to see the autoclave (the machine that's used to clean/sterilize equipment) if they look at you like your stupid or refuse, go somewhere else. Reputable body artists will put your safety at the top of their list of priorities. If you don't feel the piercer your working with lives and breathes this philosophy, find someone else.

Piercing is a skill and like all skills there are certifications. You may feel better about things if your piercer is certified, so feel free to ask to see their credentials.

I haven't played much since I became Mr. Corporate America, but I used to have extensive experience in these circles (I actually worked in a piercing shop for a while). Nothing wrong with body art as a form of personal expression, just be smart about it. It's your body and you will have it the rest of your life.

Thanks for reading.

Archived