Home

Dude, wash your hands

tk102

I always try to wash my hands every chance that I get. I take a shower everyday, wash after restroom use and keep hand sanitizer in my locker at school and in my room at all times. Washing your hands regularly everyday does reduce the chances of getting ill from my perspective.

so... WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Achilles--I've tried the paper-towel-on-the-handle thing, but I've usually found the trash can is too far from the door for me to toss out the towel after getting the door open. I don't want to put a germy towel in my pocket or purse, so just opening the door without the towel is the lesser of two evils many times for me.

And avoid being borderline OCD ;)

Washing your hands only goes so far anyways, you'll always touch one thing or another that has one bacteria or another on it, it's not the end of the world to get ill after all, as long as you wash them regularly you should be fine, but no one's bulletproof that's for sure...

@Achilles--I've tried the paper-towel-on-the-handle thing, but I've usually found the trash can is too far from the door for me to toss out the towel after getting the door open. I don't want to put a germy towel in my pocket or purse, so just opening the door without the towel is the lesser of two evils many times for me.

I have an almost OCD about washing my hands, and Jae I just throw the paper towel I opened the restroom door with on the floor if the trash is too far away... believe me they can and will take the hint and move the trash can closer to the door if you do this enough. ;)

There's alot of solid evidence that over sanitisation has also led to the formation of multiresistant superbugs.... like VMRSA(vencomyocin multi resistant staphylococcus aureus)

basic hygiene is important, but over doing it is plain dangerous.

finally, never ask anyone from India what they do in the toilet, you simply do not want to know :)

*winks at sabre*

mtfbwya

Please tell me you looked up what that abbreviation means...

lolz...I didnt need to look it up.

the first half of my training as a physical therapist was all that standard pre-med stuff. Plus, I did work in a hospital for the first 5 out of the last 7 years since I graduated :)

One tip I can pass on - the effective minimum duration of time to properly sanitise hands involves washing for the duration of thinking/singing/humming etc the 'happy birthday song' There was a very interesting study that introduced this into Thai hospitals, with quite amazing results :)

mtfbwya

lolz...I didnt need to look it up.

the first half of my training as a physical therapist was all that standard pre-med stuff. Plus, I did work in a hospital for the first 5 out of the last 7 years since I graduated :)

One tip I can pass on - the effective minimum duration of time to properly sanitise hands involves washing for the duration of thinking/singing/humming etc the 'happy birthday song' There was a very interesting study that introduced this into Thai hospitals, with quite amazing results :)

mtfbwya

Well, on the other hand I do agree that overuse of cleansing chemicals is bad. So Unless its for cuts and wounds I usually use only soap, maybe with moisturizer.

But seriously, singing Happy Birthday while washing your hands can be freaky...

Think about seeing your dentist singing Happy Birthday before ripping thru your teeth or things like that...

Ever since i started eating healthily i suffer alot less colds and illnesses than i use to. Only drink water. Have a sensible week long variation in meals including fish, red meat, white meat, vegetables, fruit. All prepared in a non-cholesterol inducing way. It's simple and it sees me through. The only downside is that my logs are alot tougher now.

Funny Herbiez.... diet and regular hygeineic patterns decrease your chance at getting ill.... yet it is only natural to get ill once in a while... sickness only strenghtens your immune system (after the sickness has subsided of course). Or at least thats what I have heard... somewhere.

And avoid being borderline OCD ;)

Washing your hands only goes so far anyways, you'll always touch one thing or another that has one bacteria or another on it, it's not the end of the world to get ill after all, as long as you wash them regularly you should be fine, but no one's bulletproof that's for sure...

Well, would you want me to see one person, not wash my hands, and then do your eye exam and handle your eyes? Probably not. :)

Now, at home, I don't stress out if my kids get dirty. As long as they wash their hands after going to the bathroom, I'm happy. They're supposed to go out and play in the yard and get dirty and all. There's also some question on whether putting disinfectants on cuts helps at all, or if it inhibits healing. The latest information I've seen says that rinsing a wound with plain saline and then putting some antibiotic ointment on it seems to work better than using a disinfecting wipe or spray on it.

@Astro--just one of those fun medical differences across the world in naming--MRSA over in the US is short for Methicillin-resistant Staph Aureus. However, MRSA tends to be resistant to vanco here, too. They're using the flouroquinolones (e.g. Ciprofloxacin) to treat it now and are worried about resistance developing there, too.

MRSA horror story--I was working in a nursing home practice about 8 or 9 years back. There was a lady with MRSA pink eye who was supposed to be in isolation. Her eyes were infected so badly that even I thought it was totally gross. However, she was so confused that she wandered out of her room all the time, and the staff just gave up trying to keep her in her room in isolation. The isolation sign on her door was a bad joke. So, she roamed the halls, wiping her eyes all the time and then putting her hands all over the rails, other patients, the desks and tables, etc., etc., etc. The medical director had tried to treat it unsuccessfully with even IV antibiotics with no luck, and finally had given up and just told the staff not to treat it. I looked at the culture/sensitivity sheet (I'm not sure why the med director hadn't done this), saw it was susceptible to a couple of antibiotics, so I put the lady on two different ointments to knock it out. The staff didn't like it and told me the medical director wouldn't like it and would just cancel the order. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and I told them that she was going on the meds, period, and if the med director wanted to come in and cancel the order, then he could. If I'd thought about it at the time, I would have reported the facility and that doctor to the state. And people wonder why MRSA is a problem in some facilities. Fortunately, most facilities are not horrible like that.

Archived