Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

Getting thrown around work a bit this week. I worked in one of the smaller recital halls last night. (One of our staff is out of town, so we are all working in different rooms to make up the slack.)

It was very weird to be working back in there after 4+ years... but the change of scenery is a good thing once in a while, I guess.

Working a different set of halls today.

Whoopee!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't ya just love it when you know you should go to bed, but don't see the point in sleeping because you know you'll feel just as tired the next day anyways? -_-

been going like this for a few weeks.

i work 1-10 tomorrow, it's going to be another boring day. love it.

need to find my 30' ethernet cable so i can get back on xbox live.

need to wake up at like 10am so i can get some laundry done.

i think it's weird how my whole sleep pattern changed since i moved in here. i don't go to bed before the end of the day like i was doing for a while. normal bedtime is 4am...

working on getting a girlfriend because maybe by getting one, i'll grow up a little.. right now i just dont understand my laziness and apathy.

heh i started on about it was my 24 and a half bday on the 21st of this month, and my dept manager was like 'how old are you?' 'i thought you were older' that comment kinda made my day. that and a girl at dunkin donuts drive-thru remembered what i usually order and asked if that's what i wanted.

god im so tired i should invest in sleeping pills.

o yea i bought the new disturbed cd it rocks, my favorite cd. all the songs are good too. my favorite band. :)

Work was pretty dull. (But in a good way. I guess...)

Went over my friend's house for dinner last night. Got a 5 year-old laptop that had been busted for 3 years and just sitting in the bottom of a closet to actually boot up. Everyone thought I was magic and a genius. Sweet.

(But then it stopped working right after I left. This indignity will not stand! I might have to break out the big guns on that one. I shall not be mocked by technology!!!)

We tried to go see Dark Knight last night... but all showings were still sold out everywhere. Bummah.

So I came home, ate some cherries, and fell asleep early.

Work today involves going to a lighting company trade show. A good friend of mine I went to college with will be there.

We might try to go see Batman again tonight. I think I'll push for getting the tix online. Maybe we'll try for IMAX even... The showing doesn't begin until 10... but I'm working late tomorrow night, so I can sleep in tomorrow morning.

It gets past the BIOS screen, and says: "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt... Insert the original Windows install disk and hit "r" to repair" and it lists a bunch of driver files (each time it starts, it's a different file, it seems.)

The big problem is, that there is no Windows disk... just the automatic Toshiba restore disks... which you can't easily get into to pull a single file out of.

Safe Mode does nothing... and even trying to get it to boot to a Linux Live CD failed to take.

I did get Windows back... and it looked stable. I even updated it to XP Service Pack 3. But when they got home, it did the same thing again.

Could just be a dicey hard drive... but now that we know that the hardware is still viable and that it can be made to work, I imagine they will be reluctant to give up on it completely.

This was his wife's machine... but she's been using his to surf the net and get email for the last couple of years. He was talking about giving her his newer laptop, and getting himself a new one... but if we can make this one work it will be fine for what she needs.

It feels to me like a hardware problem... but it's hard to tell.

It seemed like the only option they gave you was to reformat/ reinstall everything (which is what I did... and it worked for a while) or nothing. Putting the disk in and hittng 'r' only brought you to the Norton Ghost restore menu.

But he had tried that same thing twice the day before, and it didn't work...

If they can't get it to work again, I'll bring over one of my copies of XP and see how that goes...

That comp seems like it would be a really good candidate for Ubuntu, though... if Windows won't work again, anyway.

My Sony did not give a beep after someone laid her fist on it. It took me 8 MONTHS to find out this broke one chip on one of the two memory modules. So if you have two modules try them separately as one might be on its way to Nirvana already.

Also, clean the contacts of the RAM modules and sockets. CORROSION HAS TO BE WIPED OF THIS PLANET!!

I'll give it a try.

It's not my computer... so I have no real investment in it. It was just something to play with while I was waiting for him to grill up dinner.

My feeling is that they'll probably end up chucking it anyway... but since all she does is e-mail and web-surfing, it would be fine for that if they can get it to work.

It seemed like the only option they gave you was to reformat/ reinstall everything (which is what I did... and it worked for a while) or nothing. Putting the disk in and hittng 'r' only brought you to the Norton Ghost restore menu.

But he had tried that same thing twice the day before, and it didn't work...

If they can't get it to work again, I'll bring over one of my copies of XP and see how that goes...

That comp seems like it would be a really good candidate for Ubuntu, though... if Windows won't work again, anyway.

you need an actual XP disk, and go and do the time and find all the drivers. if it's only 3yrs old, then it should be still a decent lappy, and since it's a toshiba, drivers should be around...

curd, why don't i take if off your hands :D

Hmmm... I guess I'll take your word for it, since I have no interest in finding out for myself.

Saw 2 old friends at work yesterday. It was nice.

My buddy from college was at that lighting show. Got to talk with him briefly, catch up a bit.

The lights they were showing are pretty freakin' amazing too.

The other was a former student that used to work for me who was passing through Boston and stopped in unexpectedly to say "Hi!" That was nice. She looks great. Seems like she's doing well.

Work itself was a whole lotta nuthin'.

Saw Dark Knight right after work yesterday. Pretty damn epic. It wasn't either IMAX or digital, however... (both are still sold out everywhere) but it was a good new print in a decent modern theater, so it looked really good.

I'll probably see it again as soon as we can find an IMAX showing that isn't mobbed. Next week maybe...

My buddy is busy with his family all weekend... but maybe I'll head over some night next week to go head to head with the errant laptop. I will get it working again!

Big, loud, 2-guitar instrumental shred rock show last night.

I always know I'm onto something good in the mix when the guys from the recording studios below the hall have to come upstairs and find me to say: "Geez dude,.. like what the ****?!?? You're killing us down there!"

:joy:

I hope the weather clears up today... I need to get out and get some exercise.

Aimee Mann tomorrow.

She's OK... but I have seen her way too many times in the last couple of years.

Should be easy, though...

Ray:

I told my buddy your suggestion about the RAM, and he gave it a try with positive results.

But it doesn't appears that he has a bad RAM stick (either one he has works fine by itself...) but that the 2nd RAM slot might actually be bad. Either stick in the first slot is OK,.. but as soon as he adds one in the 2nd slot he gets errors.

At least we've narrowed it down.

He may just buy a bigger chip, and just run on a single stick.

Yeah... but like I said: This is a several year-old (at least 3,.. maybe closer to 5) machine that will probably only be doing wireless e-mail and Facebook checking... and little, if anything, else.

I really don't see it being much of an issue, honestly.

got another friend request on myspace giving 2 screennames, checked into it and this is what i got:

Kioet says:

hi

Kioet says:

you sent me a friend request on myspace?

Monica Furtado says:

Hey whos this?

Monica Furtado says:

Ohhhh Thanks for messaging me back bebe...how r ya?

Kioet says:

good

Monica Furtado says:

Wait... u know what right now i gotta start my webcam show...why dont u come to my page and watch my show and talk to me in there?

Kioet says:

no thanks

Monica Furtado says:

Dont worry, I will make your account PREMIUM so u dont hafta worry about payin or anything it wil be free.. but u cannot give your account to anyone else.. cool? promise? :-#:-#:-#

Kioet says:

why

Kioet says:

what for

Monica Furtado says:

OK! all my shows have nudity in them hun so in order to come to the chat room u gotta sign into the website using your credit card.. but once u get inside my chat room.. just message me your user name and I will upgrade that account to a premium aco**** so u dont get billed! that cool? but i can only do it if u absolutely do not give ANYONE ur user/pass? PWEEESE lol ---> http://www.naughtysiteremoved.com is the site bebe

Kioet says:

lol

Monica Furtado says:

Quick need your opinion..stalkings or no stalkings? or fishnets? ps - u better feel spec!al cause i usually only upgrade my friends for free lol

Kioet says:

lmfao

Monica Furtado says:

DAMMIT ok sara is yelling at me to come join her she wants to start the show lol.. tell me your user name once u sign in.. xox see ya in a mminute bebe! http://www.naughtysiteremoved.com/69

Monica Furtado says:

Away Message: Hey I guess I just missed ya, Im doing my cam show now so come chat and watch... we getting freeeeky this time http://www.((siteremoved)).com

Kioet says:

lol

Monica Furtado says:

Away Message: Hey I guess I just missed ya, Im doing my cam show now so come chat and watch... we getting freeeeky this time http://www.naughtysiteremoved.com

Kioet says:

have fun bye

Monica Furtado says:

Away Message: Hey I guess I just missed ya, Im doing my cam show now so come chat and watch... we getting freeeeky this time http://www.naughtysiteremoved.com

man that's just funny as hell.

and part 2. the AIM screenname:

[00:26] kioet: darios2233: the website i host my webcam with found out i got nude on my cam so they flagged my account lol so now they make everyone use a credit card to prove you are atleast 18. it is free though i promise. go to naughtycoedcams.com if you just click on a link on my page it will take you to the signup form.

RogueFifteen: aw dam im 17

RogueFifteen: i can get in anyway right? :D

RogueFifteen: i turn 18 tomorrow

darios2233: remember pretty please dont mention anything about that in the chat room once you get in the chat room ok?

RogueFifteen: hahaha ok

RogueFifteen: cool

RogueFifteen: will i be watching a man or a woman?

[00:26] kioet: lol

[00:26] RogueJedi86: sounds like it ignored what you said

[00:26] kioet: lol yeah

[00:27] RogueJedi86: I recommend having fun with quoting random lines from this random quote database http://qdb.us/random

[00:27] kioet: RogueFifteen: oh you'r eon the page?

RogueFifteen: cool

RogueFifteen: are you hot

darios2233: oh **** im already late to start my show. i have to get off aim now. i will see you inside my chatroom stud. remember not to say anything in the chat room about how i upgraded you so you could watch for free okay. hey make sure you sign in the chat room with your aim name so i know which person is you okay naughtycoedcams.com

RogueFifteen: NOOO!!!! DONT LEAVE!!!!!

Hmmm... naughty webcam shows. That's funny. She'll say anything to make a sale, it seems.

Walked for close to 4 hours after work last night, since it was the first chance I had all week for any exercise. I'm kinda achy this morning for some reason....

I slept kinda crappy last night, though. It's gonna be a long day today, I'm afraid.

Archived