Home

Happy Five Year Anniversary Knights of the Old Republic

Shem

I don't recall any particularly groundbreaking innovation made my KotOR that was replicated in CRPGs. :confused:

IIRC, it was the first CRPG that I can remember with all-voiced dialogue. It may not be the very first, but it's the first one that I played.

A great present for today would be the announcement of KotOR Three! *Watches as KotOR Three is announced, but to be an MMORPG. Head proceeds to explode.*

Happy 5th Birthday, KotOR! I'm looking forward to your sequel.

At Shem: What is Bastila wearing in the 'make-out' scene? :xp:

Half Life, most certainly; Halo IMO not. ;)

Bah, I can list a number of games that copied Halo's weapons system (two weapons at a time/weapon swapping/etc.) or the health/armour system (auto-regenerating health/armour etc.)

IIRC, it was the first CRPG that I can remember with all-voiced dialogue. It may not be the very first, but it's the first one that I played.

Hmm, probably not a pureblood CRPG, but Deus Ex had all-voiced dialogue...

Bah, I can list a number of games that copied Halo's weapons system (two weapons at a time/weapon swapping/etc.) or the health/armour system (auto-regenerating health/armour etc.)

A fair amount of what's in Halo is the same or quite similar to the Marathon trilogy (older shooters also made by Bungie in the 1990s). I can't think of anything in Halo that felt particularly revolutionary or new when playing it, but it's still a fun game so that doesn't matter to me. :)

It's not that surprising though, game development does seem to be a bit evolutionary in nature where developers build onto ideas from previous games they've made into new ones. This is also quite noticeable in Bioware games, which all seem to have a core of reoccurring themes and features.

Hmm, probably not a pureblood CRPG, but Deus Ex had all-voiced dialogue...

Deus Ex might be something of a hybrid, but ironically it feels a lot more like an RPG than many other games which claims to be RPGs. :)

Most excellent collage, Shem!!! :thumbsup:

Though it's only about three and a half years since I played KotOR I can say that I would have played the game when it first came out in 2003 if I had known then how much I was going to enjoy playing it later. :D

*sigh* Memories. :)

Archived