Home

Can't stand Vista? Try Mojave!

Rogue Nine

And Microsoft resort to tricking people into paying the outragious price for their useless OS. :lol:

I love Windows Vista, especially the Windows Update thing that likes to pop up and ask you to restart when your typing, so when you accidently hit "enter" you loose everything... And I think the most popular application on my computer will be the Task Manager. :p

Honestly, even if it's not rigged, it is still a poor test.

When I first got Vista I thought it was a pretty acceptable OS. I liked some of the bells and whistles, and I didn't have any complaints.

Then every now and again something small would happen. It varied, sometimes I couldn't get a driver working properly, the Aero effects would lock things up, or just made the screen look a little wonky, etc. etc.

It was a bunch of little things that all piled up into eventually driving me to switching back to XP, and nothing I would have known from an hour long demo session.

Have any of you naysayers tried Vista within the last couple of months? SP1 fixes a lot of issues people have been having with the system. Plus now that it's been out for a good amount of time, drivers have matured and adapted and other kinks have been smoothed out.

Honestly, this isn't unlike what happened with XP when it first came out.

Have any of you naysayers tried Vista within the last couple of months?

Uh...yes. Ever since the newest updates came out, every time I turn on my computer I have to hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and manually run explorer.exe just to get the desktop to show up. :indif:

Meh, it happened to my father's too, only he doesn't remember how he fixed it. I haven't bothered to try, because the last time I tried to fix a Vista problem, my desktop disappeared and I wound up having to manually run explorer.exe every time I turn it on. :rolleyes:

Answer my question!

Meh, it happened to my father's too, only he doesn't remember how he fixed it. I haven't bothered to try, because the last time I tried to fix a Vista problem, my desktop disappeared and I wound up having to manually run explorer.exe every time I turn it on. :rolleyes:

Uh, reformat and reinstall? Patch to SP1 when you're done. Worked for me!

I'm still enjoying Windows XP with fresh eyes. I ran Windows 2000 up until about April of this year. I knew everything that OS could do and what it couldn't do. During my long holdout, I learned of the advantages XP offered. Finally my IT department decided I needed a new machine and booyah I became an XP user. (Corporate license installation CD found its way home with me one night as well.)

I'm still learning about Vista from a distance. Most of what I see comes from KSE / game issues and abstract information from the net. Nobody at work or around me has Vista yet, which I am waiting for. I'd rather master an old OS than pioneer a new one.

Vista has been mired in negative publicity and I suspect there's more truth to the video than propaganda. I do believe that Microsoft's dedication to improving the OS will eventually satisfy people in the same way XP did. Does anyone remember balking at XP's activation features? I still don't like that aspect. Yet people learn to accept things and given enough time, even products originally dejected by the public can become mainstream if there is a strong enough corporate inertia at work.

Answer my question!

Sorry Ninez :(

I have not used Vista w/SP1.

All of my conceptions about Vista are from the 2-3 weeks I used it back in April/May.

Is K2 working for Vista now? If so, maybe I'll dust off that old disc.

I trust your recommendation - better not let me down :D

_EW_

Pshht, yeah, I'm going to waste my time doing that when I have a nice, new, non-Vista computer just sitting right here. :xp:

Seriously, I already had to reinstall Vista once. The installation failed, and after waiting on hold for three hours, I got someone from tech support on the phone who managed to kill my hard drive altogether. Fortunately I had everything backed up and the computer was still under warranty. Not trying that again, thank you very much. :indif:

Is K2 working for Vista now? If so, maybe I'll dust off that old disc.

I had it working before my reinstallation fiasco. Now I can't even get it to install.

Well, sorry you had to go through that, JCarter, sounds like a load of suck. Perhaps Vista doesn't like your hardware configuration or something. Maybe a scratched disk. A lot of things could have gone wrong, but it could have happened the same way for XP. At least you have legitimate experience with Vista.

I think this marketing campaign is targeted at those people who don't know any better and have not actually used Vista and are simply parroting what they hear from people who used it right when it came out and was pretty raw. Like I said, it's been over a year now and things are definitely a lot better, so people just need to drop their preconceived notions and give Vista a fair shake.

Well, sorry you had to go through that, JCarter, sounds like a load of suck. Perhaps Vista doesn't like your hardware configuration or something. Maybe a scratched disk. A lot of things could have gone wrong, but it could have happened the same way for XP. At least you have legitimate experience with Vista.

It's a shame, really. Vista does have a few nice features, but like XP it probably won't be worth the trouble until SP2.

Finally my IT department decided I needed a new machine and booyah I became an XP user. (Corporate license installation CD found its way home with me one night as well.)

It seems the IT department wants to go from 2000 to Vista. Which I think is crazy. A) our hardware sucks. The computer I use for Photoshop, video editing, ect is 1.8GHz and 512 RAM. With all the crap they have running in the background, anything I do brings the computer to a crawl. They're gonna have to replace all the desktops with newer hardware to handle Vista.

If Vista wasn't so bloated and full of pretty-colorful-shiny-glossy-crap, and wasn't so dumbed down for the computer illiterate, I'd probably like it more. As it stands, I spent a full day disabling all sorts of annoying crap and trying to get it to play nice with my XP network (I still can't go from Vista -> XP got it backwards, can't connect XP -> Vista).

Have any of you naysayers tried Vista within the last couple of months? SP1 fixes a lot of issues people have been having with the system. Plus now that it's been out for a good amount of time, drivers have matured and adapted and other kinks have been smoothed out.
niner saying sp1 makes you get ****ed a little gentler isnt a very convincing argument.

like tk, i stuck with 2000 for quite a while. and saying "oh xp sucked when it first got released" doesnt make vista not suck.

you shouldn't need a workaround to make your os achieve what is now considered a basic level of functionality D:

and yes i've used sp1.

As a gamer, I keep hearing all these great things about how dx10 makes the game look so fantastic... yet here I am on XP with an nvidia 8800 gt card, and everygame I have installed has run on max settings with little to no problem. AND the screenies of dx10 look like what Im seeing on my game... so really there must be little tiny things not picked up by screenies that make dx10 the messiah of gaming. lol

Anyway, no I havent tried Vistaids since sp1. And I probly wont for the simple fact Im not wasting 200+ dollars on it. I only got XP because I was able to pay 12$ for it from the college I was going too.

It looks pretty, really I used to not even use the theme settings on XP to save on ram...

Well I was a pretty satisfied XP user also booting Linux and I wasn't interested in trying Vista with all the negative things I had heard about it but when I got my laptop it came with Vista installed so I stuck with it and so far haven't had many problems. I would mostly agree with Niner that its like XP was, there are some little problems that might bug you at first but overall I'm happy with it.

Yep. I first tried it a year ago and after trying to install one program that turned out to be incompatible I ended up in an endless loop of the blue screen of death with a ten second timer to restart and then an attempt by Vista to finish the installation, again the blue screen, the restart aaaand you get the picture. Format, install XP.

More recently, I gave it a second try about two weeks ago after my recent PC upgrade. At first it seemed OK, everything worked, but then for some reason it decided it won't open the Control Panel, Device Manager and Properties (Personalize, as it's called in Vista) anymore. It opened any ordinary folder with no problems, it opened the web browser, media player, etc. Even after a restart it still wouldn't open any of those three for me, so - format, XP.

I'm not giving it a third try until I hear it got a decent Service Pack that fixed over 90% of bugs and all the compatibility issues. Otherwise, I'm waiting for that Windows 7. Maybe it will work like a charm, but Vista has a looooong way to go.

Archived