Home

In What Movie Did You Realize Who The Emperor Was

HK-42

When did you realize who the Emperor Was?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. When did you realize who the Emperor Was?

• Episode 1
    • Episode 2
    • Episode 3
    • Game
    • Other(please tell)
    • What? He's the Emperor?!

I don't remember which movie it was, but I remember thinking that Chancellor Valorum was the Emperor when I first watched Episode I... don't ask me why.

Addendum: Why do we need spoiler warnings for movies that have been released years ago?

I could easily tell in the Phantom Menace that Palpatine was either Sideous or Sideous' lackey with his stupid smirks whenever people's backs were turned and how he knew about them returning to Naboo immediately after they decided.

I grew up with the original Special Editions. When I saw RotJ, I suspected. (Due to his use of Force Lightning.) Almost a couple years later, TPM came out and my suspicions seemed true. (First at the very beginning, and the very end during the funeral.)

So, I was content but mildly confused about how the Emperor's face became so wrinkled. Then, RotS came out 6 years later and cleared up my confusion. So, I'd say I realized during RotJ. :D

It was pretty clear that Sidious' and Palpatine's voices were identical through most of the movie, but I don't see how anyone couldn't have figured it out from -

Yoda: "Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice."

Windu: "But which was destroyed? The master or the apprentice?"

*Big, dramatic close-up of Palpatine's face while mysterious music plays*

If I didn't catch it earlier in the movie, that certainly did it in for me.

Title explains it self

Actually it doesn't (to me anyway).

Do you mean when did I identify the Emperor character as the Emperor? When I saw the hologram in Episode 5, I realized that Darth Vader was speaking to the Emperor, so that's a possible answer. (same as Darth333)

Do you mean when did I identify Senator Palpatine = Emperor Palpatine? That would be after I learned GL was going to do the PT (circa 1998 or so) and I read a little of the back history of the saga.

Do you mean when did I identify Ian McDermid as the Emperor? When I saw who the casting for Episode 1 was going to be. (same as Astor_Kaine)

I'm a bit sad and puzzled how this apparently was a mystery to some.

When I saw RotJ, I suspected.
Suspected what?

How old are you dude? I was 4 in 1977 and certainly wasn't reading GL's novels. Points awarded to you if you did. :D

I knew who the Emperor was in the early 1990s after reading the novelization prologue of A New Hope. I have always known his name since; thus, all I needed to see was a commercial to identify him in the prequels. Years following the original movies, the Emperor's real name has appeared on numerous toys. It wasn't a big surprise.

Some stuff I remember seeing in the 1990s -

1.jpg

41%2BL1RripZL._AA280_.jpg

I guess that my choice would be between 1996 and '99...

I saw the Original Trilogy when I was 4 and loved it. Then, I checked out an original Star Wars Encyclopedia from my country library and was paging through when I read something about him being a senator prior to being emperor.

Then Phantom Menace in '99 only gave further strength to said convictions.

Had suspicions after seeing TPM - and then compared the credits of TPM and RotJ ;) Guess which certain actor is in both films ;)

I attempted to do the same with TPM and AotC a year or so before RotS. They didn't have Darth Sidious' name listed as a character, in either one, I believe.

well i feel a bit stupid beccause thinking back on it now i saw Ep. I and II when i was kinda young then i saw OT then Ep. III and i put the pieces together but one day i decided to have a "Star Wars Marathon" and i watched them all and noticed he was in Ep. I as well but i first noticed him in Ep. III so go ahead laugh it up...

Archived