Home

Top Ten Worse Questions to ask at GameStop during the holidays

Darth Groovy

I been at this for a few years now. The next few days are the hardest, because people have waited until the last minute to shop, and are awe stricken that we are actually sold out of stuff. Video games are almost bullet proof in a sagging economy because almost all kids play games. I live in an area where people go to live and breed children. My average customer is about 8-10 years old. I been in retail for several years, and you must understand that while it may be convenient for most customers, it is not a smart business move to load stores with product only days before Christmas, else that product won't move unless sold, and will result in loss after business slows down AFTER the holidays. I don't want you to think that we are insensitive, trust me we share your pain, but please realize that there is only so much we can do as well. I have comprised a list of the absolute worse things to ask your local GameStop this particular time of year.

10. Phone call: How much can I get for the following games?

GameStop answer: "Top Value". That's it. Calling us for trade values on the phone this time of year is futile. Most standard stores have approximately 2 registers. We don't have most of the trade values in our heads, so we have to type those titles into the register to get those values for you. Now when we do that, we have to put on hold, the people standing in line with product in hand and ready to pay. Where do you think our priorities lie? We are going to take care of the customer in front of us first. Else we get some really ugly looks. On an average day right now, we will do about 200 transactions per day. An average day on the rest of the year is about 50 transactions from both registers combined. Second, those values do change from day to day, we don't want you coming back 2 to 3 days from the phone call bitching at us because the trade value is now lower than what we quoted you over the phone. Third, some of our competitors try to match those prices by calling us, not fair. Also, those values we give you over the phone, do not factor in weather the disc is scratched. And that is without applying all current promotions. Trust me, it is much, much easier to just bring the damn things in, let us look at the merchandise and scan it at the register, and it takes less than half the time it does to type all that into the register. So our answer will be "Top value! Bring in your trades and we will get you a total as soon as possible."

9. "Can I put my name on a list?"

There will never be a Christmas where we will not be out of some damn fad gadget. For the last two Christmases it was the Nintendo Wii. This year, it's the Wii again, along with Wii Fit, and Mario Kart. Here is why lists don't work. I take you back to Christmas of '05. It was the launch of the Xbox 360. We started a "list" back in the summer. We let anybody and they're brother put down a $50 deposit and allowed them to be part of this perpetual list. Only the first batch who pre-ordered in the first week, were actually guaranteed a system on the day of the launch. Everyone else would be called in order of the list, as future systems arrived. We would call, and get no answer. Then we would wait a day or so, and call the next name on the list. For those that failed to come in, or call us back, they got pushed down to the END of the original list. People that were on this list, actually believed that they could come and get the 360 whenever it was convenient for them, because they put a deposit down. Sure, sounds good on paper, but why should the other 100 plus people wait until you are good and ready to pick your machine up? The "list" was not finished until spring of the following year. LONG time for paying customers to have to wait. The whole process proved to be a failure of biblical proportion, and GameStop swore never to do a call list like this ever again. GameStop policy, is that you have 48 hours to pick up after the initial call. Sometimes we can make exceptions on a case by case basis. But if you didn't bother to come in or call us back, how is that our fault? Keep in mind that even IF we continued to do call lists, that you would in fact be on the END of said list, and would probably not receive a call until your kids are in college. During times like this, with scarce product, the ONLY way to be absolutely fair, is to go first come, first serve.

8. "Are the used games all scratched up?"

Yes. We take turns kicking the games around the store, and after hours we throw all of them into the center of the store, and build a bonfire and dance around them like wild Indians. Just because something is used, does not always mean it is "icky". People won't bat an eye buying a used game off E-bay, but scoff at the very thought of buying a loved one a used game as a Christmas present. I can understand the whole it "has to be sealed, or it's not new" concept. And for that reason, I have a shrink wrap machine to accommodate your needs. Some managers are different, but I am absolutely picky when it comes to taking in used product from customers. As a rule of thumb, if I won't personally buy it, I won't try to sell it either. I expect quality myself....even in a used game. They are expensive...I know! Trust me, if you ask an associate to show you the disc before you buy it, it really won't hurt our feelings. In fact we will do all we can to find the best looking one in the bunch.

7. Get over the Nintendo 64. Seriously... WTF?!

It has not been in circulation since what, 2000? No we don't carry them. No we don't have any used games or accessories for them. Shame too. I wish we did. Seriously. They were the perfect game system for little kids that can't take care of stuff. They were built like tanks, and the cartridges were not so easy to tear up either. GameStops are usually small. And we can't carry every game console there is, so periodically we have to get rid of something old. And we don't usually get rid of old things, until they go months and months without selling. When we had N64, nobody paid any attention to them. Now they are gone, we get questions on a daily basis as to where to find them... where to get games...etc etc. E-bay, yard sales, or the internet. Otherwise, get yourself a Wii, and download the old games from the shop channel like everyone else.

6. Got any good sword games?

Well, EA sports has not yet released Sword Game 2010. So until then, can we get specific? Do you want a good sword fight, or just the presence of a sword in the game itself. I mean that is too broad of a category. I get this question at least once every Christmas. Do you want Zelda, Assasin's Creed, God of War, Balder's Gate, or Oblivion? Or maybe Conan? LOT of differences in those games. Otherwise I suggest buying a real katana off the internet and attacking your neighbor's lawn shrubbery.

5. Know where I can find Final Fantasy VII?

Ebay of course. I don't get upset when I hear the question. It's a tough item to find. However, GameStops phased out Playstation One stuff at exactly the same time we phased out N64. Sure you can find this title, but it will cost you a pretty penny. Even thought this game was once sold at the greatest hits price of $19.99 at your local Wal-Mart, many RPG purists consider this game to be the absolute best of it's kind, and it still continues to spawn films and spin offs of it's content. I am a victim of this as I recently used channels to track down a copy of the original Silent Hill. Sadly, I paid just as much for it as I did when it first came out. I just had to have it since I was a fan of that series, and decided recently to collect the entire series. Happy hunting.

4. "That's all your going to give me for this trade in? What a rip off!"

Yeah, I feel ya. Just remember one thing, and this ties in with number 10 on my list. GameStop is a corporation. All the trade values are set for us out of our corporate office in Grapevine TX. If you have ever had an economics class in your life, you will understand that we are not specializing in "ripping you off", however the laws of supply and demand take effect here. Sure, Max Payne was a great GREAT game....back in 2000. It is now 2008, soon to be 2009. Max Payne sells for $4.99 used in our stores. Even though you paid $50 for this title when it came out, how much do you expect to get in trade in, if we are selling it used for $4.99? Even worse, sports games. In particular-Madden Football. They been making Madden games since I don't even remember. Problem with Madden is that rain, sleet, or snow, there WILL be a Madden game every year. Once the new one is out, EVERYBODY trades in the old one. Pretty sure that Madden NFL 2001 for PS2 is selling for about $0.99. How much you think you are going to get for that title? Yelling at us about it makes as much sense as yelling at a news vendor because you don't agree with the headline on a newspaper. We have no control over this. Our back rooms are over flowing with these titles. People don't buy them....prices drop, along with trade credits. Also keep in mind, that everyone is now dumping they're Game Cubes, Original Xbox, and PS2. Trade values on those are dropping as I type this. Also, if you drive to the next GameStop thinking they will give you more, you are a fool. The prices are company wide. Sorry.

3. "This system works fine, you just have to jimmy with the power button a few times, blow on it, and say Klattu, Barada, Nikto, and it will work just fine."

Would you pay $59.99 for a system if you had to do all that? Neither would we. Next.

2. "You know, I spend a lot of money here!"

This one actually works my nerve more than anything anybody says. In fact I sometimes loose it, because I hear this way too much. Well shucks. The only times video games are actually "cheap" is when they suck, or they become obsolete! I still remember as plain as yesterday paying about $59.99 for Street Fighter II Turbo for Super NES. I also remember paying $199.99 for my first Playstation One and thinking I was getting a good deal. Ladies and gentleman, ALL NEW SYSTEMS ARE EXPENSIVE WHEN THEY COME OUT, AS WELL AS THE GAMES. My response to this is that Video games was NEVER a cheap hobby. If you have kids, and you purchased a game for a next gen system in the past year, yeah you DO spend a lot of money hear. Also, what you define as "a lot of money" may not be so much money to somebody else. I have seen gift givers drop as much as $700 to $800 on just one kid! I usually feel like I am going to throw up. I love my parents, and they always took care of me at Christmas time, but when I was a kid, I was pretty excited to get some Transformers, Lego kits, Play-Doh sets, or G.I. Joe figures. I don't think my parents ever had to spend $700 - $800 on me and I always had a happy holiday. My experience is that kids are always going to want what is the hottest. Those old Game Cube games probably won't cut it, and I didn't set the prices on this stuff, I only sell it. Sorry, but that remark don't work on me. And just because you spent $100 on your kids in the past couple of weeks to get them to be quite, does not mean that I have to stand on my head and spit wooden nickels for you. Dammit.

1. "Do you think this would be cheaper somewhere else?"

Number 2 used to be number 1 as the worse question to ask me, however this one is my new favorite. So now you have come to my store, and by asking me this, you have tasked me with the tradition of comparative shopping. When you came in the store, you saw the big sign that said "GameStop", yet you were what...? Hoping I would say, "hey, I don't want your money, so run on over to Wal-Mart where they are $5 cheaper! Or better yet, "hey I don't know, but lets bust out the Sunday sales fliers and see!", or better yet, why don't I just call every store in the zip code and see how much they are selling this particular product for?" I draw the line. I work for GameStop. This time of year, I work a 6 day mandatory work week. No I don't get to shop, nor do I have the faintest clue as to what my competitors are selling this particular item for. Wanna know why? When GameStop purchased EB Games (our biggest competitor), we became the largest video game distributor in the world, and a fortune 500 company. With that success, we lost some privileges. The biggest loss, was our ability to "price match". I was actually able to price match, up until about 2007. We run our own adds. We no longer price match. It's actually not THAT bad of a thing, because people were getting creative with it. Some people would hunt around on the net, and find that Joe Bob's Video Game Barn.com was selling a game for about ten dollars cheaper than we were. Well go figure. One of the biggest problems with that, was wholesale businesses. I am sure many of you live near either a Costco, or a Sam's Club. Yes, they usually sell systems and games cheaper, but they often include accessories that you may, or may not want. ALSO you have to pay a membership fee to shop in places like this. GameStop is not a wholesale outfit. And we don't charge you a fee to shop in our store. Also, places like Frye's electronics, and sometimes Target, will sell a particular item far below the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), and with that sometimes the big businesses can be fined. Target I know, will pay the fine, if they think they can make a profit off of this. What they don't tell you, is that even though they cheated on the MSRP, they only have about 4 copies of that game available the day that sale starts. They want to get you in the door so they can sell you a big screen TV, or a GPS system for your car. Gamestop is all about video games and nothing else.

Anyways, this thread has become to long, so I would like to close by saying. We DO appreciate all of your business, and I hope this thread doesn't chase you away from your local GameStop, I only hope it helps you understand us better. I speak for myself. I love customers. Especially old people. I love them because they listen, and they trust me.

I didn't put this on the list, because I didn't want to come off like a complete arsehole, but please do not hound us for shipment times and delivery dates on hard to find items. The system works like this. We get a distro that downloads in the POS. It says I am expecting 3 shipments of Wii-Fit. They come 2 to a box. All the system tells me is that they are shipping out of the distribution center on a certain date. Now that could mean, I would get them all on one day, or maybe some one one day, some on another, or not at all for another week. Truth is, we don't know until we get them. AND we don't want a mob of people fighting for them when they arrive. Now I will leak one secret for your personal well being and piece of mind. YES, sometimes we have to hold stuff for a flier. Here is the problem. Sure I can sell you this product now, but what about the people who line up the day after Christmas because our flier promises we will have them in stock? I make you happy, but I piss them off. OR, I piss you off now, and make those happy who have been standing out in the cold since before 6am on December 26th. Also, anybody collecting bribes, or making back alley arrangements, ask to speak to the DM, or call the better business bureau because we get fired for that sort of thing, so please....no bribes.

Happy Holidays.

Holy crap, Groovy, that's quite a list, though, I'd imagine that listening to the parents attempting to get their kids games/small children themselves all day long is very exasperating (To say the least). Next time I visit my local GameStop, I'll be sure check my questions. :p

On the other hand, isn't it reasonable to assume that the parents/children will ask these questions in order to find their game (or are these the type of people that will blow up in your face if you don't do what they want, when they want)?

You left off ever retail employees’ favorite question.

Do you have a mop? Junior isn’t feeling too well and had a little accident. Sorry about that, but I really need to go. You’ll be a dear and take care of that little mess before someone slips on it?

Great list, reminds me of all the things I don't miss about working retail.

oh GOD, i had that happen once...the mother wouldn't take the kid to the bathroom (he kept saying 'i gotta go potty' ) cause she was too busy deciding what camera to buy, the kid pissed all over the floor. at least she didn't expect me to clean it up, instead asked for some towels. lol

Wow, Groovy. This list makes me want to bake some brownies and take them to the Gamestop by my house.

Also, I'm with Rox. 700-800 USD on one kid at a Gamestop? I can't think of a single video game my parents every bought me. They got me a Graphics card for Christmas once, but I've always paid for my own video games and video game-related merchandise.

Wow, Groovy. This list makes me want to bake some brownies and take them to the Gamestop by my house.

Be it as it may, we actually get a kick out of stuff like that. One of our regular, brings us cookies and assorted baked goods. The local Jimmy Jon's brought be a sammich the night I got my stolen car back, and just yesterday some guy brought us a pizza from the local gourmet pizza place, just to thank us for helping him out. Believe it or not, little stuff like that does wonders for our morale this time of year.

"Otherwise I suggest buying a real katana off the internet and attacking your neighbor's lawn shrubbery."

GROOVY WINS POST OF THE YEAR.

YES! Another one for the scrap book!

This should be a new Yuletide tradition.

Darth Groovy's Annual Holiday Shopping Season Rant.

I like that idea. I think last year I went off about the Nintendo Wii. It was early January when I traded in all things Nintendo out of anger. Sometimes I miss the DS, but to Hell with the Wii. Since I got rid of it, not one game has come out that makes me want to own another one.

Hmm. Today I was at a Converse store and I think I may have asked a question that'd be number 11 on this list. I didn't realize it until after I asked, though. Oh well.

I was just checking out prices and I asked the clerk if there were any "projected sales for December 26th" and then it hit me that not only is that the busiest day of the year and they probably won't want anymore customers, but I'm guessing that clerks rarely keep track of every single sale going on, especially those in the future, AND that he'd probably already been asked that question multiple times that day.

He told me that they always have "some sort of sale" and that specifics on all future sales are essentially up in the air, then he went right back to his work. I instantly thought back to what you said about your response of "Top Value" and I realized my mistake.

Oh well.

:(

That was a pretty gnarly post there Grooves. I could only imagine my reactions to these kinds of questions.

But anyway, since seeing a particular video series on Youtube I've been kind of repulsed by buying used at Gamestop lately, I don't like how the corporate side of things works there. Most of my used games go off to Goozex now and I usually only buy new games if I ever find myself at Gamestop.

Anyway, just glad to say I know to not ask this kind of crap to you guys. I know my manners. Also, it's fun to find the occasional clerk who knows their **** about weird games like Sins of a Solar Empire. : P

Also, if my local Gamestop gets their shipment of Skate 2 late when January 21st rolls along, I'm going to fire bomb it... When should I expect those pre-order bonus shirts to come in?

GROOVY WINS POST OF THE YEAR.

Nope, sorry, that was already taken. Getting a douche arrested for abuse with some screen caps is way more cool. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194649

Also, I'm with Rox. 700-800 USD on one kid at a Gamestop? I can't think of a single video game my parents every bought me. They got me a Graphics card for Christmas once, but I've always paid for my own video games and video game-related merchandise.

That's pretty sad. I remember the first game my parents got me was a Ms. PacMan handheld. I used to carry it everywhere with me. I guess I carried it on, I get my kids games all the time.

@ Grooves - I sympathise with you, I really do. I used to work in a bank, and some of the dumb ass questions I used to get asked would make you curl up into a little ball and rock back and forth until the men in white coats would come for you.

GameStop employees are *******s around here. I swear to God they've jacked so many of my pre-order gift thingys and then claim that they just didn't come with my game...

...I really hate those ****ers.

But then again, I haven't met anyone in Ohio who doesn't have his head so far up his ass that it actually sits perfectly on their neck...

Oh, and I remember customer questions about games and CDs during the holidays. *shudder* I didn't think they made people that dumb.

4. "That's all your going to give me for this trade in? What a rip off!"

Yeah, I feel ya. Just remember one thing, and this ties in with number 10 on my list. GameStop is a corporation. All the trade values are set for us out of our corporate office in Grapevine TX. If you have ever had an economics class in your life, you will understand that we are not specializing in "ripping you off", however the laws of supply and demand take effect here.

I'm guilty of this one. I did not, however, make a fuss and use words such as "rip-off". But still, in my defense, being told I could get eight dollars for my Gamecube a few summers ago was a bit disheartening.

I'm guilty of this one. I did not, however, make a fuss and use words such as "rip-off". But still, in my defense, being told I could get eight dollars for my Gamecube a few summers ago was a bit disheartening.

you could get more for it at a yardsale or by selling it in the paper.

I've actually seen some of these things happening. I was browsing around Gamestop, and this dude comes in and asks for Mario Kart. What he doesn't realize is that Mario Kart been sold out for months, and gets really cheezed off at the clerk because they don't have it, saying he was one of thier best customers because he got his Wii there. I was actually considering going up sucker-punching him in the face.

That's pretty sad. I remember the first game my parents got me was a Ms. PacMan handheld. I used to carry it everywhere with me. I guess I carried it on, I get my kids games all the time.

I remember my first game and system. My uncle had a Dreamcast, and sonic Adventure, he never used and gave it to my parents, who passed it on to me. Man, I loved that Dreamcast, I basically played Sonic Adventure to the point of unplayability.

Yeah I sold it for like 50 bucks independently :D

Sorry, Grooves D:

Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Gamecubes are not selling in our stores, so they are pretty much worthless to us, as are PS2,s and original Xbox systems. Glad you made a profit. I usually tell customers that they won't get much for them in trade in, but they trade them in anyways...all...the...time...:fist:

Hooooly ****, went into a mall Gamestop today (day after Christmas = hell) and it was terrifying. It was minimal in size, probably 25ft by 30ft. There was over 30 people in there. Parents, little kids, other teenagers, all hell. It was noticeably stuffy and about 15 degrees warmer. Thankfully they had plenty of copies of Fable II, which Wal-Mart and another Gamestop had none of.

Walked in, had a lady employee giving out sales fliers, politely declined and asked if they had any copies of Fable II in stock. She said yes and said "Do you have ID on you?"

In that split second I forgot completely why I would want to make sure I had ID and said, "Oh, come on, I'm 6'7" (I've gotten really casual talking about my height to complete strangers cause of work), do I look under 18 to you?"

She kinda went "Buh?" to me, so I quickly made sure to tell her I was just messing with her in a friendly way.

So stand in line, some other guy jokes, "yeah, you are damn tall." Get up to the counter, the place is complete chaos. All kids under 12 swarming the demo kiosks and stuff, asking their daddy or mommy for game. Some of which were total ****. (I'm sure the Build-a-Bear Workshop game on the Wii is totally worth that $30). Kids are failing out of Rock Band 2 (hint, you can't play drums with a microphone) and crashing in Motorstorm.

So yeah, clerk just asks, "Whadya want?"

"Fable 2."

No sales spiel, no pre-order crap. I just throw my money at him, and when he's getting the change I say, "Dude, I know what you're going through and I feel for ya. Just stay alive." He just chuckles a little and nods. Then I get the hell out of there.

I think I'd kill myself if I was in there for more than twenty minutes.

:V

Yep. Way I see it, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, then you are a moron if you go to GameStop on Dec 26. It always was, always is, and always shall be the absolute busiest day of the year at any GameStop. Actually had you been in my store between 7am, and 11, you would have been fine. All Hell didn't break loose until about 11:30 am. Same time all Hell broke loose last year. Trust me, we do anything we can think of to keep those lines short, but when the whole world decides to come to your store on the same day, only so much can even help to begin with.

Thankfully they had plenty of copies of Fable II, which Wal-Mart and another Gamestop had none of.

:V

i had that happen, but fortunately i work there and got my homie to go look for me. (and i went back there and looked too lol) and found a copy. some stupid reason they took it off the modular...but it worked to my benefit. :)

Groovy: Do you work at a gamestop inside the mall, or one of the nice standalone ones (usually on a strip mall)? I prefer the standalone ones, they look much cleaner, and there is usually more variety.

Archived