Home

Warner Bros. Puts All DC Projects On Hold

Yar-El

Article - Warner Bros. Puts All DC Projects On Hold

Some news for sharing -

Comic books adaptations have been swelling in popularity over the last few years, and this past summer "The Dark Knight" stormed international box offices. So, to maximize profits, Warner Bros. has reportedly placed all DC comic book properties on hold.

"A lot of the DC movies at Warner Bros. are all on hold while they figure out [as] they're going to come up with some new plan, methodology, things like that so everything has just been pressed pause on at the moment," writer and director David S. Goyer told IESB.

"The Dark Knight" already has pulled in an astounding $997 million worldwide and will be making a return to selected theaters at the end of January in the hopes that the movie will push beyond the $1 billion mark. With profits like that, it looks like Warner Bros. is now looking to capitalize on comic book movies.

"It was the double header of both ‘Iron Man’ and ‘The Dark Knight’ coming out, so more than ever I think they've realized, I think DC was responsible for 15 percent of Warner Bros.' revenue this year, something crazy like that, so they realized that comic books, it's become a new genre, one of the most successful genres," Goyer said.

Marvel Studios already has a plan in place for its upcoming projects and the foundations have already been laid with references in "Iron Man" and also a cameo appearance of Tony Stark at the end of "The Incredible Hulk."

I hope they don't change their other DC heros to mirror The Dark Knight.

I hope they don't change their other DC heros to mirror The Dark Knight.

Perhaps not the heroes, because Batman has always been a massacre on the big screen, but other DC villians could stand to take a leaf out of the newest rendition of the Joker's book. If all villians were executed as brilliantly as the late Heath Ledger's work in that role, then I would have a reaffirmed faith in the quality and depth of hollywood productions, something that has taken quite a few blows over the years.

Spiderman 1 & 2 were great IMO. The third one was just a straight up disappointment. The first two Spiderman films are one of the few superhero movies I like. Apart from Christian Bale's Batman movies, Iron Man, and the most recent Incredible Hulk.

QFT, QFE. Except for Hulk, I completely agree.

Speaking of DC, anybody here played DC vs Mortal Kombat?

I'm a longtime MK fan. Frankly it's all an attempt to outdo marvel vs capcom 1 & 2 IMO.

The game any good? I always wanted to see Motaro rip off Superman's head and **** down his neck; it'd be even nicer to BE motaro doing that.

Well, I suppose if they didn't make so many damn superman and batman movies ONLY, and gave some consideration to the rest of the crowd...that might be nice, no?

(Not that I have anything against batman, and I appreciate what superman stands for.)

Still. Something different? Wonder woman--I'm sure there are many sexy brunettes who could fill the role and are good at acting. How about the flash?

Meh. All these projects on hold are because the economy S-U-X and DC probably just hasn't seemed to have gotten the best crews BEHIND the lens. Not that they suck mind you.

Speaking of DC, anybody here played DC vs Mortal Kombat?

I haven't, despite being a longtime fan of MK, since the Genesis, I lost interest on the franchise over some other I've found more promising those last years. The reviews taxed the game of all the flaws old to the series, more exactly the "stiff gameplay".

The game any good? I always wanted to see Motaro rip off Superman's head and **** down his neck; it'd be even nicer to BE motaro doing that.
Nothing of that, unfortunately. The fatalities have been scaled down since DC heroes are on it (although I do find your proposal for one quite appealing :D) and the DC heroes don't have them; they're called "heroic brutality", being much less violent.

I haven't, despite being a longtime fan of MK, since the Genesis, I lost interest on the franchise over some other I've found more promising those last years. The reviews taxed the game of all the flaws old to the series, more exactly the "stiff gameplay".

Yeah. I guess MK Armaggeddon was okay. They did try the element of customizability--which IMO the WWE Smcakdown! still has the corner of the market on currently. Though lately they have been losing traction; their peak was 2006 & 2007, which is now old news. But in MK, I can't really say they have been innovative to a competitive point. It's okay, maybe roughly on par with Soul Cal 3. I was going to make "Master Vrook" using Cyrax's weapon/moveset since he has a single "pulse blade" (which is SO a cheap imitation of a green lightsaber). I have yet to open it up and get my PS2 back out though.

Nothing of that, unfortunately. The fatalities have been scaled down since DC heroes are on it (although I do find your proposal for one quite appealing :D)
Don't like them god-mode characters neither, eh? :dev14: Yeah, no weakness means no bravery either. I like what SM stands for, just not SM himself.

and the DC heroes don't have them; they're called "heroic brutality", being much less violent.

Ah. Scale down, slap a different label on it. Blammo!

Well, like pro werstling, just use pseudo violence to anesthise the young to real violence without showing any semblances to reality of it.

On one hand I can actually understand it since such might be an indignity to otherwise dignified characters. On the other, well, it makes the perspectives

to related things less realistic. Even if it is just a game.

The director should always give as much of a crap as possible. T_T If he doesn't care, he can go direct a romantic comedy, or something as equally inane.

Well, you cannot say crap-less given direction (crappy directing???) has yielded*entirely* unmerited garbage. Look at what ICP has done making the movie "Big Money Hustlas". While I admit I didn't laugh the first time (mostly 'cuz I didn't get it for its satire, sarcasm, parodic themes, and the outright so-screwed-up-terrible-it-actually-makes-sense thing going on) it caught on. Maybe you just have to acquire a taste for liking it, BUT, all in all for what it is, it's actually pretty good if you get it.

However, I don't presume that you like Insane Clown Posse in the least. So to you it may not seem all that great from a producer/director/screenplay-writer perspective as a whole.

Or something equally inane? You mean like Jackass? That made me LMAO, ROFL, and in some cases puke my guts out.

If DC would do something other than great Batman movies and absolutely terrible Superman movies, I'd consider them more of a movie power.

Batman being the only exception, Marvel has been putting out some great movies. The only one I thought sucked face was Spiderman 3, the other 2 being great if you realize you were watching a superhero movie about a guy who is bitten by a mutant spider.

There is making a masterpiece movie, or sticking to the source material. Dark Knight took the masterpiece way, and Marvel has been taking a more source material stance on writing and film direction. Batman has to, because DC comics aren't the greatest in the world in my opinion, as I cannot stand the amount of god characters and the lack of character deaths. The reason Batman is so cool is because he's like, the only character in there that isn't wielding some power given to him by one of many gods.

Power to DC for trying to push out some good movies for a change. I just also hope that Marvel keeps pumping out the same for the upcoming Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Avenger's movie, and the planned X-Men origins films (It is good to see someone competent holding an x-men movie).

The reason Batman is so cool is because he's like, the only character in there that isn't wielding some power given to him by one of many gods.

I'm more of a Marvel fan as well, but my favorite hero is indeed Batman, for a different reason. He had all the excuses and traumas to become a villain and instead chose to become a night vigilante.

Archived