Home

LucasCast: Episode 5

Jeff

How do you rate this episode of LucasCast?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode of LucasCast?

• Excellent!
    • It was very good.
    • It was okay.
    • You guys can do better.
    • It sucked!

Fave characters:

Glottis and Manny (Grim Fandango) and Dom (Gears Of War 1 and 2.)

Most frustrating games:

Myst (I just never saw the point... so I gave up.)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (Great idea... horrible execution. Could have been great... instead: Meh.)

Homeworld (I suck at RTS. Got through the first couple of levels... then no further.)

Most frustrating moment in a game:

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - The level where you are running from the tank on the wall.

I was with the game (and loving it) right up to that point. Then it kinda becomes like a 3rd person "Pitfall" where you have to quickly accurately line up each jump for several minutes. Totally different from the rest of the game before it. I never got through it... even after 50, 60, or more tries. Pissed me off completely, and ruined the game for me. I never finished it, I was so sour after that.

Most moving/ memorable gaming moments:

Dom's reunion with his wife. (GOW 2)

Lola gets planted... and Glottis gets sick. (Grim Fandango)

The ending of Freespace 2.

i had to fast forward the mass effect bit. i have a burning hate for spoilers.

speaking of, i saw it at a store, which had a clearance table, on which, under 100 copies of lame games, was Mass Effect pcdvd for NZD $45. flip. i had just blown all mah pockit money on gifts for people. :ball: i hope to God that its still there...

but whats this about limited installs?!!

I literally crapped my pants the first time I played the end of FS2. It was like, 'you have 90 seconds' and I'm like 'but I'm 10k away from the jump node' and it just plays the end anyway :D

"They're doing WHAT?!??... Holy crap!!!... ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES!!!!"

I almost made it... but not quite. :D

I picked up a used copy myself--I'm having a great time with it, though learning how to use the 360 controls after PC gaming Bioware games is really different. It's taking me awhile just to get the hang of that. I can't get used to hearing Jennifer Hale with an American accent, though. :lol:

I can't get used to hearing Jennifer Hale with an American accent, though.

im playing as John, so i dont know what Jane sounds like, but have you played Jedi Academy? Jennifer Hale was the female PC and had an american accent. when i played kotor for the first time and encountered Bastila, i had no idea it was Hale until i heard the "ouch" lines in combat. stellar voice acting and actor.

It's a first person shooter that isn't like every other first person shooter out there and also has a compelling and interesting story.

story? im all into story. but i doubt my computer can handle it. heck, im running Mass Effect on a laptop version of an unsupported graphics card. (took some tweaking, but i have it on a nice playable setting).

speaking of, im playing the game, and im getting HORRIBLE textures on 'Ultra High + Anisotropic'! whats up with that?

id post this on a mass effect forum, but staying the hell away until i finish the game. (spoilers)

This is your answer:

ah, but the next time i started the game, the textures drastically improved. just like that.

when i had the problem, it was so bad that the logo on Shepard's suit was a white splotch with a bit of red. now its a crisp, defined 'N7'. weird.

besides that i have another oddity: the game came with two dvds... when i installed it, it didnt even ask for disc 2. it just used disc 1. and now, the game runs without any disc. which is insane. think about it: big, corporate EA letting us play mass effect without the disc... :eyepop

im not using images or anything. it just... works

Has EA gone nice, or are they letting us play it without the disc because theres some mega anti pirating thing they've stuck in the game?

if its a random occurrence, i aint complaining. the longer my discs remain immaculately scratch free, the better. :D

• 3 weeks later...
besides that i have another oddity: the game came with two dvds... when i installed it, it didnt even ask for disc 2. it just used disc 1.

disc 2 apparently has a bunch of more languages.

nd now, the game runs without any disc. which is insane. think about it: big, corporate EA letting us play mass effect without the disc...

im not using images or anything. it just... works

Has EA gone nice, or are they letting us play it without the disc because theres some mega anti pirating thing they've stuck in the game?

the reason for this is indeed some dastardly drm.

for those who dont already know, (like me before i bought the game), the game requires you to connect to the internet every 10 days to check the cd key. if you dont, itll block you from playing until it can connect again.

thankfully, that has been removed now. you still have to be online the first time the game runs though. but thats acceptable.

whats NOT acceptable is that you only get 3 initial activations before the game brands you a pirate and locks you out.

i hear bioshock had a similar system, but with that you get 5 installs, and when you uninstall one of your 5 installs, it gives it back to you.

not so with mass effect: YOU DO NOT GET ANY INSTALLATIONS/ACTIVATIONS BACK!!

this is plain unbelievable for me. its insane. just... insane.

to be honest, i couldve lived with the 10 day activation thing, but that was a total middle finger to people who dont have 24/7 internet connections.

but the limited activations is unacceptable. what if i get a new computer that can play the game maxed out? what if i want to reformat/reinstall windows to make my computer fast? what if a virus destroys my computer and i have to reinstall??! (the latter has actually happened to me recently).

whats perhaps the worst thing is that people who pirated the game have no complications like this, while people like me, who parted with hard earned money for this game, are screwed into the next dimension by ea.

but that said, mass effect is an absolutely amazing game. it was everything they said it would be. it was, totally, "Oowsum". (:xp:)

Archived