Home

[Spoiler Warning]Revan's Mask

Trench

So he's wearing a female's mask. Why is everyone so surprised? The guy wore a dress, too, but no one commented on that.

Out of curiosity, is Revan's gender specified in the comic? I stopped paying attention around the time the story took a huge leap off a cliff.

Out of curiosity, is Revan's gender specified in the comic? I stopped paying attention around the time the story took a huge leap off a cliff.

I haven't read it, but all other sources say that Revan was a lad.

"Canonically" is arguable, but true. They made Revan "male" because they could not put "it" into the Star Wars canon books. There had to be a gender for promotional reasons, and the gender was only specified when this issue came up.

From the little I know of the comics, Revan always has a hood on, has never been seen fully, and everyone seems to regard Revan in terms aiming around directly calling Revan a "he" or a "she".

This is from my limited knowledge however, and would like clarification on Revan's gender in this comic series. Not that it is really important, but the choosing of a female mask seems to just be another throw at ambiguity for this storyline.

Can't really cross-dress if you have no gender.

Lets just say Revan was a Hermaphrodite. An unknown near-Human species that took on the characteristics of both male and females by dressing as both.

But he was canonized as male in a source outside of the KotOR comics and games.

"Canonically" is arguable, but true. They made Revan "male" because they could not put "it" into the Star Wars canon books. There had to be a gender for promotional reasons, and the gender was only specified when this issue came up.

From the little I know of the comics, Revan always has a hood on, has never been seen fully, and everyone seems to regard Revan in terms aiming around directly calling Revan a "he" or a "she".

This is from my limited knowledge however, and would like clarification on Revan's gender in this comic series. Not that it is really important, but the choosing of a female mask seems to just be another throw at ambiguity for this storyline.

Well, to be fair, I was confused the first time I saw David Bowie, so I guess the whole Revan thing is kind of shaky too. They probably didn't give Revan a specific appearance because he's the only major character in Star Wars that was given the option of customization by the player. Maybe they cloaked him so people wouldn't feel unfamiliar and be like, "BUT I CHOSE THE 4TH BLACK HEAD! WHY IS REVAN ASIAN???"

Canonically' date=' Revan is male. But his "skirt" was actually more like an extra long Kama.[/quote']

FYI to all but here on planet Earth men can and do wear 'skirts'... and can look quite respectable doing so... Never piss off a Scot by calling his kilt a 'skirt' let me tell you. ;)

The only problem I have with it is that I always hated the idea that Revan wore the mask in his Jedi days. As such, I've never been a fan of mods that create "light side variations" of Revan's Sith robes and mask. To me, the suit and the mask were directly connected to his identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith.

In the flashback where he and Malak discover the star map on Dantooine, I had always interpreted Revan's appearance in that vision as a representation, because the player is not aware that he is Revan. I assumed that the Forced filled in what information was missing in his brain with what the amnesiac Revan knew to be "Darth Revan," whom he did not know what who he himself once was. When that event actually occurred, I had always assumed that Revan was not wearing his Sith armor or mask.

^exactly my opinion

What if this wasn't the final mask he wore as a sith lord, what if after killing the mandalorians and winning the wore, he made his own version based off of her mask.

I'm hoping that this / something like this is/will be the case.

The alchemy idea is pretty cool.

What do you think about that?:D

The fact this is a PG-13 forum means I cannot say what I think about this.

That's gotta be one of the stupidest back stories ever. :rolleyes:

QFT

it's stupid

seems to be a trend in that series of comics. there was also that revanchist crap that absolutely ridiculous last name for malak and now this ****

Agreed.

well, from the few comic pages I have seen, I don't think that Revan has the distinguishing marks of a she.

Seriously, I'm kinda glad that I don't read a lot of this comic series, what with Alek SquaisjeutHOesgkjn and the Revanchist and other stuff I can't think of right now.

I really like it.

1. It did seem that Revan's mask was based on Mandalorian style. This confirms it was.

I also figured Revan wore a mask or something like a half niqāb since obtaining Padawan rank, either as a holdover of the unknown culture s/he came from, and/or because Kreia always was one for encouraging her pupil to conceal as much as possible. This also helped immensely when <Fullname> came into play. Since no one had seen Revan's true face since at least the War, and maybe since his/her mid-teens, no one could ID the Endar Spire's new recruit as anything other than a soldier out of boot camp/hyperspace route scout/"reformed" smuggler.

2. It had a moment that showed that not all Mandalorians were total monsters. Warriors, yes, aggressors, yes. But some had more honor than to continue slaughtering unarmed people.

This also has another effect - when the Mandalorians look at that mask, they are looking into a mirror of sorts. One that will remind them they had the chance to put the brakes on, and failed to do so.

3. Revan's gender or lack therof has been bandied about before. Yes, canon said Revan is a man; canon also said Han shot second. As far as I'm concerned, by making Revan androgynous, Dark Horse is doing it right.

So that means that Revan is a crossdresser?

But honestly, I could tell it was from some Mandalorian, just a matter of who and why he had it and not them.

BTW, all those wear Revan's clothes mods are right now going into dissuse for me after that stupid backstory.

Never really used them much anyway, myself. Yeah, the medieval based "T" design will always be mando in SW, ever since ESB. I thought the same thing: "Hmm, that's awful similar to a mando mask."

Now I guess my eye just senses the obvious due to experience. Still, I didn't get set on it b/c I wanted to keep an open mind about the origin.

Mask to me was unisex as were the robes.

Yes, I believe they refer to the Revanchist (Pre-mask Revan) as "his, him, he" somewhere once, but it is minimal. Then again this might just be b/c of other canon sources and it may totally be ambiguous. I wish *now* I had payed a little more attention.

My memory serves as after reading the comic, asking myself: If the council referred to "him" as THE Revanchist, is that cloaked figure Revan? I could be mistaken, though.

Agreed there on Ambiguity--especially now that I am caught off guard.

I recall the comic issue with cloaked figure referred to as "the Revanchist" as I said above. Made contact with the council. Was my only reason for chaecking through it. Vrook, Vandar, and the rest were the ones.

Again: I'm sure it's a he b/c I remember asking myself, "OK, we have the figure and the council referred to the figure as "him", so is that Revan?" This may be little more than hearsay, but I am pretty damn sure.

I can't remember completely right now though. Sorry.

You'd have to back order and/or see for yourself.

Otherwise I refer to "The Revanchist" here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

Now now children, play nice:xp:

Hmmm... So I'm guessing there are still no takers on that Mandalorian armor mod?

Knock yourself out. :)

I really like it.

1. It did seem that Revan's mask was based on Mandalorian style. This confirms it was.

Okay and that is another.

I also figured Revan wore a mask or something like a half niqāb since obtaining Padawan rank, either as a holdover of the unknown culture s/he came from, and/or because Kreia always was one for encouraging her pupil to conceal as much as possible. This also helped immensely when <Fullname> came into play. Since no one had seen Revan's true face since at least the War, and maybe since his/her mid-teens, no one could ID the Endar Spire's new recruit as anything other than a soldier out of boot camp/hyperspace route scout/"reformed" smuggler.

Also part of why I believe the Revan's robes look the same regardless of gender when worn. Concealment.

2. It had a moment that showed that not all Mandalorians were total monsters. Warriors, yes, aggressors, yes. But some had more honor than to continue slaughtering unarmed people.
Why have you not made a Mando Women mod for TSL yet? :D Besides I see Te Mirdala as a willing young'n, eager and willing to get modding EXP.

Just a thought. :lol:

This also has another effect - when the Mandalorians look at that mask, they are looking into a mirror of sorts. One that will remind them they had the chance to put the brakes on, and failed to do so.

3. Revan's gender or lack therof has been bandied about before. Yes, canon said Revan is a man; canon also said Han shot second. As far as I'm concerned, by making Revan androgynous, Dark Horse is doing it right.

Mystique is often a good strategy for generating interest and sales. Even you would have to agree, I think? I'd say it partially accounts for the successes of whenever a SW title is released.

First, I'd have to reinstall TSL. Second would be finding the disk. Third? Well, I don't have the hang of modeling. I'm figuring out scripting. Placables and new objects to add to a game? I can whip up those. Dialogue? Still my specialty. Modeling? Not so much.

Bro in law has been devouring the comics, and I read them when he's finished. Seeing how we both play LSF!Revan, we took an interest in how Dark Horse would handle it, and so far, they've done a marvelous job of skirting the issue. Perhaps the fact the mask came from a Mandalorian woman was meant to be a nod to us heretics. :D

Agreed, but we are discussing the EU, here, so it's hardly surprising. I've seen worse, unfortunately.

QFT. The worst I've ever seen was, fortunately, on Star Wars Fanon, but it was still uber-stupid.

Archived