Home

Feeling Down...

It probly is depression, but maybe not clinical depression... becareful of the doctors who are too quick to say it needs medication. As for getting out of your slump, go outside, go for a walk in the woods (preferably on a nice clear day). Watch a good comedy. Laughter is the best medicine, not zoloft. :)

Three words, my man (or gal): YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

Having recently been laid off, I've been "feeling down" too. My favorite remedies are to read a book, crank up my favorite computer games, talk to my favorite peeps, and WRITE. You can't believe how much writing (or any of my favorite hobbies) helps me get out of a slump! :) Even going to work gets my mind off "feeling down", or at least it did!

I agree with Aash Li's suggestions, especially the laughter part; it is the best medicine. However, may I make another suggestion. Counseling is another option that can be in your favor if things get too bad for you, but do stay away from the prescription meds if at all possible; those things have been known to give bad sideffects to a majority of people. It doesn't hurt to let it all out to a professional, if you know what I mean. A confession of the soul, if you will, does wonders for one's mind.

Try these suggestions first, you never know... they could cure the problem.

Best of luck to ya, think positive thoughts.

It probly is depression, but maybe not clinical depression... becareful of the doctors who are too quick to say it needs medication. As for getting out of your slump, go outside, go for a walk in the woods (preferably on a nice clear day). Watch a good comedy. Laughter is the best medicine, not zoloft. :)

^

I've found canoeing to be an awesome pick me up for myself.

It entirely depends on whats going on in your life...

I know what your going through; I probably should'nt be saying this, but my brother has gone through depression. He's done things that I will dare not speak of here, and you can imagine the effect it had on me. But like most people, he managed to overcome it :]

If what your experiencing is THAT bad, then do try your best to not sink down to his level: its not worth it.

And yeh. I entirely agree with Tysyacha; do things that make you happy. Be creative. It will keep your mind off things :]

I just have a Process I go through when i feel down, I think of a few things that make me feel good, or reminisce/call some old friends to catch up, visit my family... A lot of the times I've felt down is because I've fallen into a slump work or recreation wise... As said before exercise, slap yourself round the face lol.

Whenever I feel depressed, I go wakeboarding.:dev14:

But wakeboarding if expensive where I live, and if I'm injured or something I just shred a solo on a guitar.

Of course, just see a movie with my friends; it's the simplest thing to do, and you can do it anytime. Friends allways help. ;)

Some people may have noticed I've been feeling down. I think even my friends here noticed that too. On RPs, chats... everything.

Is it depression? I need someone to help me get out of this emotion. Any advice?

Contact your health provider--it might be depression, but it's not someone anyone can diagnose here, or treat. :)

Understandable, Jae Onasi. Thanks. :)

Thanks for the advices, everyone. I just don't want everyone to think of me differently. Even my family members. Sometimes I always think it's better if I'm just away from everyone...

But thanks again. If it is depression, I'll try my best to follow you guys' advice and make myself happy again. :)

Just remember that medication is only to be taken in hand with therapy, having someone to talk to regularly in a place where you're comfortable -and- getting exercise, no medication will ever be able to trump the power of natural reactions by the body. A steady dose of endorphins and confidence to speak openly with others brings back that connection that has been lost. Just be sure to plan things out with your doctor, ask questions if you aren't sure you understand.

I agree with Master Shake. If you have to leave, bring some buddies. But don't wander off and be alone, you'll just have thoughts of easy ways out. And since noones near you to say otherwise, you just might listen. I like reading (No books about death or romance, Death because its depressing, romance because it usually has a crap load of depressing stuff in it.), writing, watching tv. Or, I daydream. Think of something you've always wanted to do; IE Paint a good picture, be president, join some big secretive club; and pretend you are or did. It usually works wonders for my self esteem, because my daydreams always go the right direction.

Allow yourself to remember and recognize moments that raise your self esteem. Not just big ones but little stuff too. Over time it builds up. Recognize where you have been and what you have done. Allow yourself to recognize your achievements.

Busying yourself so you don't think about it chokes off fuel, energy, and most importantly TIME to give to the depression.

Being thankful for what you have instead of droning on about what you don't often helps. Gets rid of anxiety, helps at least.

One thing I'm trying to gain more of is a resillinece from 'falls'. One could always use a bit of improvement here--it lessens the severity often times by softening the initial fall. What this means is you've reached a certain balance. An optimum, still balanced. You basically can hope, but you don't have it so unrealistically high that it is disastrous when you fall. And at times you *will* have your negatives, but in returned you also see things realistically and use your irk as focus instead of a block or an eruption. Maybe do read up on Shaolin philosophy, or the way of the samurai. Also seeing limitations and tests as challenges to be overcome helps. Seeing many of life's trials as tests would be a start.

get some physical exercise, drink water. i've been feeling it too, not sure why though, but it sucks.

I agree with that. Exercise and drinking plenty of water. Diet and activity is more crucial than I think many want to even acknowledge.

I just have a Process I go through when i feel down, I think of a few things that make me feel good, or reminisce/call some old friends to catch up, visit my family... A lot of the times I've felt down is because I've fallen into a slump work or recreation wise... As said before exercise, slap yourself round the face lol.

QFET

That's a no no.

That's when the REAL problems start.

I agree with Master Shake. If you have to leave, bring some buddies. But don't wander off and be alone, you'll just have thoughts of easy ways out. And since noones near you to say otherwise, you just might listen.

I would like to say everyone is different, and somewhat (not totally), disagree with the above. You *will* undoubtedly need input from those you care about, but sometimes you cannot talk about everything. Letting it burn is bad if you feed it; if you don't feed it, that flame burns out. This is the quiet person's way if you just don't prefer talking. However, finding how the depression is fed is critical, and an inevitability anyways. If you are to get better.

A nice walk or venture out, preferably in the woods or somewhere with nature often times helps--especially if people issues are at rot of something bothering you. The tall people and people of stone (Trees and Rocks) are great friends at putting one at ease and listening to you. Sometimes smarter than the ones on two legs.

I like reading (No books about death or romance, Death because its depressing, romance because it usually has a crap load of depressing stuff in it.), writing, watching tv. Or, I daydream. Think of something you've always wanted to do; IE Paint a good picture, be president, join some big secretive club; and pretend you are or did. It usually works wonders for my self esteem, because my daydreams always go the right direction.

While this works to a degree, if I might give input: do not allow your daydreams pf desires to become an endless well of wishful thinking with no action as this can become depressing in the long run. (I have found this out the hard way!) Yes sacrifices are necessary to attain lifelong desires, but they needn't be rushed. Finding true contentment takes time and getting to know oneself.

Archived