Home

Quanons Crazy Projects!

Quanon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continues to do some work on the helmet thing. Nothing major breathtaking... yet :lol:

The front is a bit heavy now, I'll adjust that. Not sure on the 'red' metal. I might just make it more like brass or just gold. Not sure what will follow.

Here's a peek at things so far:

Prev_Rend2_zpse879c39e.jpeg

Prev_Rend3_zpsb0485812.jpeg

Prev_Rend4_zps3379e291.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update on the helmet thing. Got the feeling it just misses some extra details... Though not sure what those might be.

Here's how things look so far:

Prev_Rend56_zpsf9944998.jpeg

Might have to throw out the heavy detail on the front of the helmet. Or opt for something a bit differant.... Hmmm, ponder, ponder.

Minor update on the helmet thing. Got the feeling it just misses some extra details... Though not sure what those might be.

---

Might have to throw out the heavy detail on the front of the helmet. Or opt for something a bit differant.... Hmmm, ponder, ponder.

perhaps if you didn't make it so contrasty. It's hard to tell what is the base and what is the paint, because it has almost a 50/50 split (is it black paint on metal or metallic paint on black plastic?). If you want it to look like the wearer painted something on his helmet, then I think that the paint should only cover 10-25% so that the base color is dominant.

If I were doing it, I'd probably make the pattern look embossed, like it was all the same color metal, but stamped.

maybe make the visor a different color since it doesn't match the overall them of the helmet, you could darken it to a dark almost black blue, you could change it to a reddish black, or you could just make it a shade near the details you have on the helmet. I think if you feel somethings off though its lower not higher, the details suddenly cut off and make a weird unnatural end maybe have them wave down and complete the pattern or something, i don't know how to model these are just observations,

If I were doing it, I'd probably make the pattern look embossed, like it was all the same color metal, but stamped.

That's what I'm trying to get with the ornaments on the crest. Another metal inlayed or stamped into the base layer.

The dark blue plates I might opt to go for a more plastic feel or carbon fibre stuff. Now it's supposed to be another metal. But it falls a bit flat...

maybe make the visor a different color since it doesn't match the overall them of the helmet,

Owh, the visor hasn't been textured yet. I'm doing that last; though not sure if it'll be red. It might look to evil.

I don't so much like the 'shower curtain texture on the front and spike, but looking good so far!

:lol: shower curtain??:lol:

Owh, dear; that's a clear warning something has to change.

Thanks all for the input!

I don't so much like the 'shower curtain texture on the front and spike, but looking good so far!

:lol: shower curtain??:lol:

Owh, dear; that's a clear warning something has to change.

I think the problem is that you've picked a repeating, tiled, rectangular pattern and placed it on non-rectangular shapes. It doesn't look like a metal smith held a piece of metal in his hands and created unique details on it, specifically matching the curves. The pattern lines shouldn't get "cut off" when they meet an edge (the red lines on the top fin are a perfect example), because a viewer can imagine the line continuing (essentially filling in the blanks) past the edges.

What was your inspiration? is there a real world culture that you're trying to emulate?

I googled ornamental spanish helmet and there were some great examples of top fins with fine details on them. They all conform to the shape of the fin.

I also googled ornamental etruscan helmet for some good examples. When doing inlays, I think that the contrasting color shouldn't overpower the base metal (the ground), but should just be used to highlight certain parts of the pattern.

I think the problem is that you've picked a repeating, tiled, rectangular pattern and placed it on non-rectangular shapes. It doesn't look like a metal smith held a piece of metal in his hands and created unique details on it, specifically matching the curves. The pattern lines shouldn't get "cut off" when they meet an edge (the red lines on the top fin are a perfect example), because a viewer can imagine the line continuing (essentially filling in the blanks) past the edges.

Yes, this is very true. I wasn't quite keen on what I felt about the helmet shapes patterns, but this detail would indeed make all the difference.

I mean in the end of it all go with whatever you like best, but I actually disagree with most people that have posted. The helment looks almost perfect. I could imagine a "Knight of the Old Republic" wearing it. Especially a dual bladed jedi. I can actually picture a soldier being killed and then a jedi in a full suit (with a similar design as the helment) coming out of no where and running through blaster fire up to the enemy.

I'm not sure maybe it's just my opinion but I love it the way it is.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Pushing on to get the helmet done. Progress is slow, but at least I know have a better idea on what I want.

@Redrob: I'm know experimenting to create a more suitable ornamentation. Following the shape of the crest. Just messing around with the emboss layer fx things in Photoshop.

@supreme kotor: Thanks for the defending the 1.0 version :)

Though I just aim for a certain 'realisme' on my model/ texture stuff.

And I was a bit doubtfull on how to proceed with the thing, at the time it didn't feel good enough for me. So I asked my fellow modders for a bit of input :p

Here's how the helmet is layed out in Photoshop:

Praetor_Helmet3_zps7fbd4d22.jpg

Now, I'm not suggesting that you use this design, but I wanted to point out how the gold pattern doesn't "overtake" the whole mask. The white base of the mask still takes up about 75-80% of the surface.

Jedi Temple Guard

There's lots of nice Jedi design swirls in the Tython Jedi temple, both inside and out.

Here, again, the gold and black onyx are details and highlights, not the main part of the helmet. The fin is nice, because it has a small scene depicted.

Iron Helmet Stock Photos

Maybe you could use the Great Hyperspace Bas-Relief for something similar on the fin?

Woot, thanks for those links RedRob. I had considered using something alike the bass relief seen in RotS. As it really gives off that 'ancient' and historic feel.

Didn't know Bioware and the Clone War cartoons used the flower motief so openly for the jedi. Was a bit afraid that would not be considered proper styling :p

Now, I'm not suggesting that you use this design, but I wanted to point out how the gold pattern doesn't "overtake" the whole mask. The white base of the mask still takes up about 75-80% of the surface.

Jedi Temple Guard

When I originally saw Q's helmet, the mohawk actually reminded me of this helmet.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
kotobukiya-artfx-star-wars-senate-guard-17-7683-MLC5249549807_102013-F.jpg

I like redrob's helmet suggestion better though.

• 1 month later...

Still working on the helmet. Though my 3D time has been taken by another project somewhat. Here's what I'm doing right now. Taken inspiration from the Art Noveau lines; slowly filling in the crest of the helmet.

Show spoiler
Prev_Helm_zpsce524656.jpg

Another minor update. Helmet keeps evolving, still a few issues left to solve. But I like the feel of it. More then with my previous attempts. Comments are still welcome ;)

Show spoiler

Prev_Rendlollo_zpsdb97fc6a.jpeg

Prev_Rendlollo2_zps020873a5.jpeg

Prev_Rendlollo3_zpse942dc2f.jpeg

Now it actually looks like plate metal with a design painted on it :thumbsup:. The face doesn't look quite like embossed metal, but the tiger stripes down the fin DO look like they are recessed down and filled with paint. Maybe it's because the face plate is convex (and pushed out), so the only thing that looks recessed is the eye slit. Once you've settled on a design, maybe you could model the embossing into 3D?

As for the face design, it looks like it has a nose (it's a bit comical to me), and the black on white around the eyes looks a bit too much like Kiss face paint in my mind.

Another minor update. Helmet keeps evolving, still a few issues left to solve. But I like the feel of it. More then with my previous attempts. Comments are still welcome ;)

Show spoiler

Prev_Rendlollo_zpsdb97fc6a.jpeg

Prev_Rendlollo2_zps020873a5.jpeg

Prev_Rendlollo3_zpse942dc2f.jpeg

That looks amazing, Q! :)

...Is there any way to make the visor part glow/pulsate?:D

Archived