Home

Quanons Crazy Projects!

Quanon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More Malachor madness. I'm at home rightnow being sick. So decided to do some relaxing photoshop work on the Malachor skybox thing.

It's shaping up nicely; started to add some swirling fog. Some tweaking will be needed on the gradient that colors the clouds. Don't like the blue tint at the top anymore. Other stuff is the gradients across the rocky peaks. Some have a more redish tint, the central one is bugging me for a reason :lol:

Anyway here's a preview of the big sky so far:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Malach_Sky65.jpg

One of the techniques we learned about in art class was Atmospheric Perspective. Basically, the closer the mountains are to the viewer, they will have more contrast, and be closer to natural color. Each further row of mountains back, should have less contrast, be lighter, and start to blue shift (at least in Earth's blue atmosphere; on Malachor things might green shift?).

The clouds will do the same thing, but it's harder to tell (since they don't have rows). I can see that you're trying to do that with gradients.

Eventually, the furthest row of mountains and the clouds should be almost the same color, brightness, and contrast. Any horizon line would be almost impossible to see, since it would look like the ground and sky were merging.

Here's some examples I Googled:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=creating+atmospheric+perspective&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FUM8U8uNKMns2wWoyYDYCQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1412&bih=917

Keep it up :)

Thanks for those helpfull tips Redrob41. I hadn't thought about that effect just yet.

Been fiddling with the skybox some more. Taking in the advice.

The furthest mountains now have grey/ green overtone. Have adjusted the gradient for the sky. It's brighter at the horizon. It all work better together now.

I've also applied some light blurring on the things more distant. And worked on upping the contrast on the front peaks.

Now to test the thing in the game. I'll add in some screenshots later on ;)

Show spoiler

Malach_Sky75.jpg

Malachor is slowly growing into a somewhat bigger project. I've been messing around to get a new and bigger skybox into the Malachor area. Though somewhere, somehow I screwed up :lol:

Or the game crashes or my own made placeable doesn't appear in the game. Not sure if the fault is within the model or me being clumsy with the files involved.

Being a bit miffed about that setback I started to work on the cliffs and rock texture of Malachor. Slowly replacing them all with a new look to match my skybox textures.

Preview, note floors still needs to be replaced and it looks just a tad darker on these screens then it is in the game:

Show spoiler

MalaPrevz01_zps0cbff355.jpg

MalaPrevz02_zpsa211697b.jpg

MalaPrevz03_zpsd1c4140e.jpg

Hello all!

I've been slowly altering all the textures for the Malachor surface.

Taking me awhile to tweak everything to perfection :p

I also made few mistakes as in things looked abit to differant and some nasty obvious tiling on my textures.

Allthough I must say, some parts of Malachor, the uvwmapping is sloppy.

On one big cliff the texture is very large, turn a corner and the same texture is suddenly used rather smallish, wich gives this odd over repeating effect.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Ugh... and there's not much I can do about it either.

Enough words; some screenshots!

Show spoiler

O_N01_zps3648d573.jpg

O_N02_zpscd78c1db.jpg

MalaRrR02_zps95d905b0.jpg

MalaRrR03_zps6164e144.jpg

Not too keen on the blue marble with white bits. Maybe if its pattern was smaller, it would look better. As it is, it reminds me of ham.

^I agree. My suggestion would be to make it darker.

As long as you get rid of the white (or make it less prevalent), then it will be alright.

Aha, yes, the tiling is rather far to obvious, though I really like that particular kind of marble :p

Wow... Just... Wow. xD

As for you skybox Q, definitely a vast improvement. Definitely worth giving your pig a stroke, what what? :xp:

Hahaha, rub it! Dang you! Rub it real hard!

I'd like to see what that marble texture would look like if you made it greyscale. Could you post a shot trying that out?

Well, I could do that, though already 90% percent of all the Malachor textures is overly greyish. On this texture blue is the main tone, even in the orginal.

But I'll do some more test runs.

Speaking of test runs. Playing around with a trial version of FilterForge.

It creates textures and there's a large database. I've been playing around with swirly obsidian rock.

Show spoiler

Swirl02_zpscc984a86.jpg

Swirl01_zpsf674174d.jpg

It's just testing the waters; I've created more variants, more swirly, less so. Bigger swirls, tiny swirls... You get the point :lol:

One thing though, is I'll have to adjust the colours and the contrast. It just pops out to much compared to the other textures.

Stay tuned for more updates, thanks for the critiques guys ;)

Archived