Home

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Rake

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty good. I was wondering when we'll hear something about a sequel to The Witcher. I'm guessing that the main character voice actors haven't been brought in yet, since these voices sound like they're just there so we could hear something.

Oh, and :lol: at Geralt's ponytail.

Oh ye gods....quicktime events. Why do devs persist with that god-awful crap?

Otherwise it seems promising. They've wisely ditched Bioware's clunky Aurora engine, which was a bizarre choice anyway (especially seeing as they completely gutted the Open GL renderer and wrote their own DirectX one from scratch). I'm not sure what new engine they are using, but I assume it must be 3rd party given the quick turn-around. It doesn't look to be Unreal 3, which is the 3rd party engine of choice. I wonder if it might be Bioware's Eclipse engine (what they built for Dragon Age). It has that same kind of semi-outdated look as DA, and the "whore" scene shows some pretty obvious clipping of the hair through the body mesh which is an Eclipse trait (Bioware completely copped out on body mesh collision detection, although that's not unique to them),.

• 6 months later...
Quicktime events will be another innovation...

I think his English is a little off. He could not have meant "innovation." He must have meant "annoyance." Yea, that's it. Quicktime events are definitely not an innovation and I can't think of another likely word.

Otherwise, looks like it might be good. Still need to finish the first one, though.

Agreed, I much preferred his old head better. Knowing the community and CDRed though, a mod will be up within the month of release so I'm not worried. The face, hair, etc I can get over but what really, really bugs me is his eyes are human and not cat-like anymore. That, more than anything, gave his face the proper character.

Still though, awesome news. I actually liked the first game more that DA:O and it easily lists in my top 5 RPGs. It felt quite refreshing to be placed into a non player made character for a change. I am, however, sad to hear they are changing the combat system since I actually really loved the combat in Witcher, which is why it was so hard for me to go back to the combat in DA:O.

That, and it sort of bothered me how similar the Wardens were to the Witchers in concept. Both took basically poison to become what they were, few survived, and the end result was the ability to fight the world's monsters with much better ease at great personal sacrifice. Both used to be highly regarded, but are now trying to repair their image in the eyes of the people and many are after their secrets, destruction, and reboot.

Some in-game footage from CD Projekt RED's conference:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

The video quality is pretty piss-poor and it isn't helped by the constant flash photography. Still, it gives you an idea of where the game is at. It looks like they are going for more of an action-RPG style. Plus it seems they have caught Obsidian's disease and are going with timer-based dialogues, at least in part anyway.

Additionally, here are some comments from a dev on Geralt's funky new look - http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28191.msg5397755#msg5397755

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you see what I see?

The Wither 2 is the best E3 game at the moment! With huge advantage over The Old Republic MMO. Go witcher, go! :thmbup1:

Let's show Bioware what is better: great story-driven single player RPG or MMO based on great single player RPG. Your vote matter!

I only wish that crushing victory of The Witcher 2 will influence Bioware's (and Lucas Arts') bosses to make single player KotOR 3 :)

Hm. Hopefully the original game made CD Projekt enough money that they can afford better translators this time around...

Well, I never had any problems with translations since I played with original voices. But I heard that they rewrote English dialogues completely in Enhanced Edition. Now I heard they are making the second game in English from the start so there should be no problems like that.

• 3 months later...

Archived