Home

Episode 14

Jae Onasi

What did you think of this episode?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • So-so
    • Needs work
    • It sucked

We made it finally!

Here's the link (clicky).

Here are the topics (we'll add links as we go along--I didn't want to delay the release any longer).

Topics:

Games we've been playing

Jae: Siege of Mirkwood expansion for LOTRO and Dragon Age

Favorites of 2009--Game, movie, new TV series, album, song, LucasArts game, LucasForums thread

Jae:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Favorite game: Kotor Dragon Age, Movie: Star Trek, TV series: Legend of the Seeker, Album: Shallow Life by Lacuna Coil and Awake by Skillet, Song: "Hero" by Skillet, LA Game: Lego Indy 2, LF Thread: The forum Tales from Javyar's Cantina

leXX:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Favourite Game: Assassins Creed II

Favourite Movie: Star Trek

Favourite TV Series: House

Favourite Album: Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D

Favourite Song:

Favourite LA Game: The Secret of Monkey Island: SE

Favourite LF Thread: Hi, I'm new!

Discussion of the Top Ten Games as listed in Game Informer

GI's editors comment here.

Bloopers

Excellent episode. Made me laugh a bit. Looking forward to Episode 15's topics.

Speaking of Bones, I started watching it over the holidays and have been netflixing the seasons like crazy. Last night I watched the Yanks in the U.K. episode, and it was hilarious. Agent Booth is the best.

Here's my list of faves:

Favorite Video Game: Batman Arkham Asylum

Runner Ups: Sword of the Stars, Assassin's Creed II, Ghostbusters, Red Faction: Guerrilla

Favorite Movie: Star Trek

Runner Ups: Taken, Push, Fanboys, The Hangover, District 9, Zombieland

Favorite TV Show: Weeds

Runner Ups: Modern Family, Scrubs, Fringe, Psych, Eureka

I don't have a favorite Album or Song. I just listen to stuff.

Taken is such a kick ass film, I'd have to choose that as my second favourtie of the year, and Modern Family is hillarious. Since recording the cast I've played and completed Batman, and it deserves the hype, fantastic game.

What worked better for you this time? We did try to include more detail on the games and such.
There's nothing particularly wrong about, it could just be greatly improved upon. For example, right now the status quo seems to be "I think this game is good/bad", with then including "The graphics are good/bad, the music is good/bad, the explosions are good/bad", etc. A statement like that gives me no reason for me to believe in your original thesis that it's "a good game", and therefore I have no reason immediately deposit ~$50 into the nearest lair of robber-barons.

Next time, try this: assume that you're explaining a game to someone who has never heard of the game in-question prior to your mentioning of it just now. Summarize the basic gameplay and structure - and that includes analyzing and going into a somewhat-verbose dissertation on the formula - and then elaborate on why this game is unique from every other "Blood, Sex and Guns" on the shelf. The purpose is to convince damn near anyone into playing - and inherently purchasing - the game, and I should be quite convinced to do so before I proceed to sacrifice my hard-earned time-money.

There's nothing particularly wrong about, it could just be greatly improved upon.

Well, we can always improve on things. :) I wanted to know what you felt went _better_, however. Building on what we've done right is just as important as knowing what we do wrong.

I don't know if we want to go so far as to make it sound like a sales pitch for a game. There's a fine line between sharing our experiences with the games and sounding like the ShamWow! guy. I get your intent about adding more detail, however. The challenge is doing that in an entertaining and concise way, and getting it right on the first take, since we don't do multiple takes.

I wanted to know what you felt went _better_, however.
Everything felt more structured and flowed rather easily. Topics didn't digress after the 2-minute mark like in previous iterations; people seemed to know more about what they were talking about, rather than ad-libbing; etc.

Everything felt more structured and flowed rather easily. Topics didn't digress after the 2-minute mark like in previous iterations; people seemed to know more about what they were talking about, rather than ad-libbing; etc.

OK, we'll keep that and build on it, and try to add more info. Thanks!

Taken is such a kick ass film, I'd have to choose that as my second favourtie of the year, and Modern Family is hillarious. Since recording the cast I've played and completed Batman, and it deserves the hype, fantastic game.
I just saw Taken a few weeks ago on DVD and didn't realize it had just come out this year, I was thinking it was from last year, and I actually think it's the best movie from the year. Liam Neeson is so kickass and also has basically the best voice out of any actors.

Best game: Dragon Age

Quote from 'cast:

"...Tobias Reiper, who has joined the cast as 'Assistant Podcast Engineer'... that means he's Niner's bitch"

^Oh, man, I lol'd!! :rofl:

Next time, try this: assume that you're explaining a game to someone who has never heard of the game in-question prior to your mentioning of it just now. Summarize the basic gameplay and structure - and that includes analyzing and going into a somewhat-verbose dissertation on the formula - and then elaborate on why this game is unique from every other "Blood, Sex and Guns" on the shelf. The purpose is to convince damn near anyone into playing - and inherently purchasing - the game, and I should be quite convinced to do so before I proceed to sacrifice my hard-earned time-money.

Personally i think going into such for every game and every person would slow things down to a crawl. But doing it for one or two games an episode wouldnt be bad, imo. You guys have the power to make us (the listeners) buy stuff;

I bought Mass Effect after hearing about it on the cast. IIRC, leXX, after giving her opinion on the game (that it was awesome), talked about what the game was like: that it had a great story that drew you in, with crazy moral choices, and parts of the game that were so epic that it was like movie. Now that sounded exactly like the kinda game i would pay for. And it didn't disappoint.

So if you did say what a game is like, as Pastrami suggested, imo it would help listeners who are non-gamers (like me) to see whether a game is up their alley or not. :twocents:

Liam Neeson is so kickass and also has basically the best voice out of any actors.

I haven't seen Taken, but i agree, Liam Neeson's voice is awesome.

IIRC, he is in the upcoming movie Clash of the Titans as the Greek god Zeus. Totally fitting.

I just saw Taken a few weeks ago on DVD and didn't realize it had just come out this year, I was thinking it was from last year, and I actually think it's the best movie from the year. Liam Neeson is so kickass and also has basically the best voice out of any actors.
I saw it in 2008, which is when it came out most everywhere else. Only got delayed in the US because... I guess it wasn't Hollywood film?

It kicks serious ass though.

I wanted to mention that this is the first LucasCast that was NOT engineered by Rouge Nine. Rouge Nine had to go away on holiday, so Jae and Tobias had to teach themselves how to edit, which wound up being a lengthy process. We recorded this a long, long time ago, and I think it turned out pretty good, and it seems we are getting some rather positive feedback! I will say this. With it being recorded so long ago, I was starting to worry about some of the time sensitive material. Well I was working late last night, and I sometimes listen to podcasts at work while I am working after hours in the store trying to catch up on things. I had listened to in this order: Giant Bombcast, LucasCast, and Cagcast. I am happy to say that all of the podcast I listened to were all talking about the exact same stuff! We even picked some of the same stuff as well!

So please, give extra kudos to Jae and Tobias who labored hard on this, they had to basically learn on-the-job. I think the end result was pretty darn good for a first effort.

To the best of my knowledge, Niner is back, and we should be recording Episode 15 sometime this afternoon. We got some wonderful feedback in this thread that we can build upon. I want to thank all of you for hanging in there with us and not giving up on us. One month from now will be our one month anniversary as a podcast! We don't have any grand plans at the moment, but we will try to do something special. I just don't want to make promises we can't keep. Glad you like our improvement, and I hope we will continue to grow during this new year.

Warm regards,

Grooveh

I bought Mass Effect after hearing about it on the cast. IIRC, leXX, after giving her opinion on the game (that it was awesome), talked about what the game was like: that it had a great story that drew you in, with crazy moral choices, and parts of the game that were so epic that it was like movie. Now that sounded exactly like the kinda game i would pay for. And it didn't disappoint.

Reading things like this make it all worthwhile. :)

Btw...totally agree with Groovy (think it was groovy anyway) that Arkham Asylum is the best game of '09. I'm not done with it yet, but it's obvious that the developers did their homework and put a lot of time and effort in making it the pure Batman experience. I love the voice of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill...that was my favorite TV show as a kid and it really took me back.

Good pick Groovy.

Archived