Home

Seeing KotOR 1 in a new light.

VarsityPuppet

I played the first Knights of the Old Republic again for the first time in a loooong time. I originally played it back in 2004 and was obsessed with completing it then.

Well, since that time, I just played through for the heck of it: just to run through.

Anyways, having played TSL for soo long, I've gotten used to their characters and stories, and I realized I never really payed that much attention to my party members backstories or personalities.

So, here goes.

Bastila - I can't help but see her as a snobby bitch. I KNOW, I said it, someone arrest me. Yes, she is a pretty face to look at, but that's the only thing that's stopping VarsityRevan from putting that bitch in-line.

And all her 'trust' in the Jedi order... psh. I must have been playing TSL too long, because I can't seem to undertake Jedi training so easily knowing I'm being manipulated by the Jedi council.

Oh yeah, she's in on it too. That really isn't helping my already negative disposition toward her.

Canderous - There were a couple of lines in K1 that seemed to have odd word choice for the individual known as Canderous Ordo (at least to me).

Again, having played TSL for so long, I got used to hearing Mandalore's diction, and had almost completely forgotten Canderous' vocabulary.

Realizing this, I noted that there is a reasonable difference between Mandalore from TSL and Canderous. You'd have to be an idiot to not guess they are the same person, but when you actually think about it, they do have different personalities (as characters). I suppose 5 years have passed and with Canderous already being pretty old in K1, another 5 years into seniorland could have made him loads mellower. But still, in K1 he seems more like your standard 'hard-boiled' mercenary (that's a Mandalorian) whereas I guess Mandalore seemed to exhibit more "calm badassery" (maybe it's just because of that armor). I know I'm not right on with those descriptions, but you get the idea.

Also, is it just me, or does Canderous seem like the type that would drop the "F" bomb a lot?

Carth - Carth doesn't actually seem that whiny to me anymore. Granted, he still is a goody two shoes, and has terrible tasted in jacketwear, but this time around, he's just not that annoying. I guess I'm more annoyed with Bastila's condescension than anything.

Mission - I usually just disregarded Mission once I got Canderous or Bastila, but this time around, I guess I just appreciated her alot more. She seems more innocent and less judgemental that that jedi swamp-tramp Bastila, anyway.

Zaalbar - It's nice to have a wookiee that isn't a complete psycho.

T3-M4 - Knowing his major role in TSL, I look at him with a bit more awe, but he's still basically useless after the Sith Base.

Juhani - I don't know how you make the "Russian Cat Jedi" the ugliest character in the game.

I mean, I consider accents to be very sexy and in some circles, cats are sexy too. There is the lightsaber too of course, but everyone knows lightsabers are sexy.

But NOOOOOOOO! Lets give Juhani the most unappealing cat features and make her face too striking to ever look at. If it weren't for her appearance, I might actually really enjoy Juhani: I like Russian Jedi Cats.

In conclusion, Bastila is a Jedi-harlot.

Hmm.............:raise: Seems like someone has a Bastila fixation. :D Juhani becomes a bit less unpalatable if you change her appearance w/the Selene mod or just use KSE to change her appearance altogether. Still, she's like an awkward mix of Carth and Bastila. Somewhat rigid about propriety like ole Basty and plagued w/self-doubt like Carth. Sometimes Zaalbar seems as worthless as T3 outside of the odd conversation mix on Kashyyyk. Found I used him less and less on succesive playthroughs. Ended up a lot of times w/Canderous, Jolee and HK as a bit of comic relief to mix things up. Wish they'd have done a little more w/Mission. Her story arc seems to sputter after Griff.

Bastila - I can't help but see her as a snobby bitch. I KNOW, I said it, someone arrest me. Yes, she is a pretty face to look at, but that's the only thing that's stopping VarsityRevan from putting that bitch in-line.

And all her 'trust' in the Jedi order... psh. I must have been playing TSL too long, because I can't seem to undertake Jedi training so easily knowing I'm being manipulated by the Jedi council.

Oh yeah, she's in on it too. That really isn't helping my already negative disposition toward her.

You're falling into the classic trap of liking or disliking them based on how you'd feel if you were inserted into the game's storyline (with the knowledge of someone out-of-universe), rather than whether characterization, plot structure, etcetera is good or not.

Well I have to be honest with you: I disliked....no no HATED her even as a male player. I did not know(of course:p) I was manipulated when I played the game for the first time, but I got really tired of watch out for the dark side you can never be so sure.....and all that crap. Even when I was fully light-sided he was baabing about the dark side and stuff.... And the romance was a bit disappointing too(without mods). She never really wanted it because of the Jedi Code and when it is done : "We shouldn't have done that:¬:. So yeah:

In conclusion, Bastila is a Jedi-harlot.

Carth - Carth doesn't actually seem that whiny to me anymore. Granted, he still is a goody two shoes, and has terrible tasted in jacketwear, but this time around, he's just not that annoying. I guess I'm more annoyed with Bastila's condescension than anything.

My first playthrough was with a male character so Carth was too...neutral. Maybe a bit closer to whiny. But with playing through with a female character he was my FAVOURITE of all. You can have so hilarious dialoges with him:lol:

You're falling into the classic trap of liking or disliking them based on how you'd feel if you were inserted into the game's storyline (with the knowledge of someone out-of-universe), rather than whether characterization, plot structure, etcetera is good or not.

Uh... trap? Didn't know I was supposed to be dodging anything while I played the game, least of all my own personal bias. I'm not worried about characterization or plot structure anyways: I'm just playing for fun for analyzing non-plot related gameplay, I'm not writing a review.

• 1 month later...

I hate Bastila in male play through. She's alright in female because shes not Twilight obsessing over me.

As far as Carth goes... Carth isn't whiny. People love to call him that, but in reality you're the one always pressuring him to open up. If anything, you're being a nosy pest by asking him all these personal questions and he even outright avoids these questions at the beginning of the game.

Carths a nice guy and I think played his character well as an near middle age man who thought he had no family left. The guy had been broken down and was pretty closed. Just like his rendition in Mass Effect, he was only whiny if you forced him to be.

As far as Carth goes... Carth isn't whiny. People love to call him that, but in reality you're the one always pressuring him to open up.

Carth whines at Mission and Bastila if you have them in the party together, and he can't contain his self-righteousness with Canderous. More to the point, you're splitting hairs, because pressuring Carth into opening up is the only thing you can do with Carth in the game. If you talk to him, he whines about his tragic (ugh) past. Period.

Carth whines at Mission and Bastila if you have them in the party together, and he can't contain his self-righteousness with Canderous. More to the point, you're splitting hairs, because pressuring Carth into opening up is the only thing you can do with Carth in the game. If you talk to him, he whines about his tragic (ugh) past. Period.

Though I see it as somewhat justified. He lost his wife, his son was presumed dead for a good while...I can't really see how you can not whine or cry while saying that.

Whether a character's emotions are justified or not is less important to me than whether their portrayal improves the viewer's experience of the story. I found Carth to have the opposite or no effect, but even that wouldn't be bad if his story wasn't so plain unoriginal.

On a slightly related note, I don't follow Avery's reasoning that Carth's whining is anything other than whining simply because it is the player that initiates it.

I never felt like Carth was whiny. You might call him a "goody two-shoes," but I've always felt like a guy I always knew I could count on. Were it real life, no one would ever call someone who's family was killed a whiner, and if you're not going to take the characters seriously, why discuss their character?

Whether a character's emotions are justified or not is less important to me than whether their portrayal improves the viewer's experience of the story. I found Carth to have the opposite or no effect, but even that wouldn't be bad if his story wasn't so plain unoriginal.

On a slightly related note, I don't follow Avery's reasoning that Carth's whining is anything other than whining simply because it is the player that initiates it.

Fair enough.

I never felt like Carth was whiny. You might call him a "goody two-shoes," but I've always felt like a guy I always knew I could count on. Were it real life, no one would ever call someone who's family was killed a whiner, and if you're not going to take the characters seriously, why discuss their character?

Eh...I felt like he whined sometimes, but not all the time. He did enough to get me mildly annoyed, but after that his personality went into a tolerable level for me.

Carth is slightly whiny, Bastilla is an obnoxious Jedi prude, and HK is the best NPC in the entire game. Period.

That being said I don't think Carth is intolerable, he portrayed his character well, if your entire family was killed what would YOU be saying? You'd probably be whining, all woah is me, and I wouldn't blame you. So, while Carth was whiny at points, I understand it.

Addiction

Carth isn't as whiny as some people in real life, I'll give him that.

He really isn't I am more whiny at times and with much less reason. Carth isn't to obnoxious, I don't understand why some people can't stand him. He really isn't that bad.

Bastila - I do hate her for not revealing the PC's true identity, but, didn't she agree that the council were using them like pawns ??? (Where Malak turns her). It is said that, if you believe into your purpose with no doubt, and no alterations, then you cannot be changed. Alas, in Bastila's case, she did doubt her position in the council. Also, she was obeying orders, afterall.

Carth - His family torn apart, his homeplanet turned to ashes by his very own heroes, and his own allies turned on him... Now if that can't tear a man apart, what can ? I mean, there was nothing for Carth left to live for, besides revenge.

The freakin', **ckin' council - Never thought they could be wrong, too arrogant to look beyond their own beleif, and left the people to die and suffer because they "couldn't" take action...

Well, that's about all I have to say...

Bastilla: Avery said it best, she's one of the better companions when she isn't Twilight obsessing.

Carth: Yes, he is whiny, yes it's understandable, no, it doesen't make it more tolerable, and yes, he needs Mira to give him a kick in the ass and some lessons in "how to deal with loosing a family". Overall though, his main problem is that he's so bland that it's hard to care about his story.

Revan: Most hated character in the game by far, mainly because with the choices avaliable, it was hard to even make even semi-sane decisions, as an example not being given a "lets use Bastillas ship" option meant I had to chop (more of) my allies to pieces for no good reason. His backstory didn't really help matters either.

Trassk: Fun as always. He never lasts

Carth: He seemed more fun to play as, but still a jerk nonetheless. I sympathised with him more on this playthrough because I finished his sidequest. He was the only reason I went LS in this playthrough

Mission: She was as boring as ever to play as, but was funny at times. Ohh how I have always wished to train her in the Jedi arts! She is cute, she is funny, but kinda annoying at times. She can be really useful, though I think I prefered her better on my first playthrough.

Zalbaar: Now here is a fun guy! He may be hairy, but he is cool. I think I appreciated him the same in both playthroughs. He doesen't have the cool factor like Hanhhar from TSL, but is way nicer.

Bastila: Is it just me or did she seem WAY hotter my second play through. In the first one, she was nice to look at, but was kinda annoying! She was also more fun to play as this time through. This is all probably because I completed her entire side quest this time wheras last time, I didn't even get around to talking about her family! That doesen't change the fact she is a snotty nosed Jedi princess.

T3-M4: Just a helpful droid. He is cool and can be useful, but other than that, he doesen't help much. I just appreciate him the same way in my first playthrough, and for the sake of just being there. My brother broke into the Sith Base without T3 with an expirience cheat on his playthrough leaving T3 on Taris. Kinda funny if you ask me!

Canderous: I think I appreciate him more than my first playthrough mostly because he turned into Mandalore from TSL. He is cooler, and I even gave him awsome armor and an ausult gun at the end (Star Forge and uknown planet) and gave Carth the big gun. I can totally see him find the helmet after the ordeal in K1 is finished. I also learned his fascinating backstory.

Juhani: LOL, when I first played the game, I thought she was just a freakishly creepy Cat Woman (More insane than Saleena Kyle, Catwoman from batman) and I killed her, only to discover she was a party member. I just got used to her (I usually don't do backstories until I know what is expected on my next playthrough)

HK-47: As humerous as ever and in my opinion....more fun than ever to play as, you meatbags!

and last but not least.....

Jolee: A crazed old man that gives you alot of advise. I was really appreciative of him both playthroughs, but I still didn't get much outta him even on my second playthrough. I still think he is pretty cool.

Ok, there you have it. My version of seeing KOTOR1 in a new light!

In order of appearance:

Temporary/Introductory Party Members

Trask Ulgo, ensign Republic Fleet/Bunkmate: Nice guy, but don't get to know him

Core Party Members

Carth Onasi, Veteran Pilot and first class whiner: Nice guy (like Trask) but whines way too much. Takes betrayal so personally that he doesn't trust anyone. Not even himself.

Misson Vao: Little Twi'lek girl, sassy as hell.

Zaalbar the Wookie: Nice, reminds me of Chewbacca, possibly even Chewbacca's ancestor?

T3-M4: R2-D2's predecessor, except 1000000 times less useful.

Bastila Shan: Jedi Princess. Hot. Sassy. :rofl:

Canderous Ordo: Bad ass, turns into Mandalore. Respect.

Jolee Bindo: Funny Old man. If you go through his entire dialog tree, which I did for the first time only recently, you see how hilarious he is.

Optional Party Members:

Juhani: Annoying, whiny, Russian-y, preachy. makes the Dark Side-Light Side transition entirely too easily, and is then high and mighty acting like she's always been good. Enraged to death too easily.

HK-47: hilarious.

Favorite character: Canderous: His whole demeanor is just bad-ass to the max.

Archived