Home

A Big Step For Me!

Congrats.

@Prime--it's a rite of passage w/in religion. It's kind of like a Bar Mitzvah for Jews. You're expected to have developed a greater knowledge of your faith by that point and sometimes to be able to demonstrate that if called upon. Confirmation, at least in the Catholic Church is usually a group event (vs I think a more solitary event in Judaism, but don't hold me to that as I'm not Jewish). I'm guessing that's probably the case w/Episcopalians too.

Congrats.

@Prime--it's a rite of passage w/in religion. It's kind of like a Bar Mitzvah for Jews. You're expected to have developed a greater knowledge of your faith by that point and sometimes to be able to demonstrate that if called upon. Confirmation, at least in the Catholic Church is usually a group event (vs I think a more solitary event in Judaism, but don't hold me to that as I'm not Jewish). I'm guessing that's probably the case w/Episcopalians too.

I see!

So then we need to attach the Stone of Triumph to Te Darasuum Mandalor?

simpsonsgood44.jpg

@ OP: Congratulations! Perhaps this is a step into a larger world for you.

I myself am a non denominational. Always was.

@Toten: I've been invited to Bar-Mitzvahs and Ba`t-Mitzvas, and yes I believe you are correct in the general sense. However, I'm (obviously) not religiously jewish either (only by family), so the specifics I'm still not at all sure of.

LOF, yes, I am taking classes with my youth pastor and the eight or so other kids that are being confirmed. The rest of the youth group also attends the class because they regularly go to Pizza With a Purpose, our Wednesday evening bible study. We are killing two birds with one stone by substituting PWP with classes. And I think I will pass on Prime's rock idea!

My confirmation is a pleasant memory because not only did it mean the end of 5 years of confirmation classes, it also meant that, per a previous agreement with my parents, I would no longer have to attend church services if I didn't want to. I guess that, when they made that agreement, they figured that after all of those years I would be sufficiently conditioned to the point that I would attend services voluntarily. They were wrong. When that became apparent they tried to guilt-trip me into attending anyway. They failed. :)

When that became apparent they tried to guilt-trip me into attending anyway. They failed. :)

That sucks :( My parents were not like that about religion, but pretty much everything else. Always with the mind games. After college, about 3 months after I got my first paycheck, I was outta there.

There is nothing more distressing to me than the notion of standing around on clouds after I die with members of my family. Bleh! :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Congrats!!

Is this a decision that you made, or was it made for you?

I was often asked why I wouldn't attend Mosque on Fridays. I replied I was more interested in:

*pic deleted*

mtfbwya

This was indeed a decision made by yours truly. I told myself that I am at the age and I am ready to be confirmed. A lot of kids were forced, but my parents are so loving and supportive, they would even support me if I wanted to convert. I am not saying I will, but that is just to show how my parents are. My neighbors however would just ground or scold their kids if they said anything relating to converting, even to a different faith!

My friend and ninth cousin is also being confirmed. She is only a sixth grader and eleven years old (turning twelve in May) and is very mature in her spiritual journey.

As of this upcoming sunday, I will be confirmed into the Episcopal Church! (American equivalent of Anglican Church) This is really an important change for me and I am excited and I want to share this with the rest of you!

Congratulations, mrcharlton!

Being from an Open Brethren background, i got a dunk in the baptistry when i was 14. (usually a solemn-ish occasion, but looking at the photos, i was smiling like an idiot :xp:)

When that happens, you become an 'official' member of the church (like, the specific assembly i go to, not the denomination or religion). Im thinking Confirmation is a direct equivalent to this, so from anotha brotha in the faith, i give you a big 'HI!, and welcome to officialness! :D'

My neighbors however would just ground or scold their kids if they said anything relating to converting, even to a different faith!

There are people like this all over. I know some, you know some. Id recommend this verse when considering them, its sort of a maxim for me:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I don't know if you're judging them, or if you're a judgmental person, and while we're technically allowed to judge those in the faith, id say just keep that verse in mind and think about what it means. ;)

I am not a judgemental person, I am just making an observation about my neighbors. They are good people however. I am not a big fan of those people who judge people by their religion and say "You are eternally damned to Hell." No, that is crap, Jesus loves everybody as it says in the Bible. I believe that actions judge over who recieves salvation, not religion. Some people say "As long as you are Christian, you are saved!"

Well, Hitler considered himself Christian, but he commited the worst acts of genocide anybody could ever commit. It does not make sense if Hitler goes to heaven and a really rightious Muslim does not just of what he believes.

Congratulations!

LOF, yes, I am taking classes with my youth pastor and the eight or so other kids that are being confirmed. The rest of the youth group also attends the class because they regularly go to Pizza With a Purpose, our Wednesday evening bible study. We are killing two birds with one stone by substituting PWP with classes. And I think I will pass on Prime's rock idea!

Out of curiosity: do you have to memorise the articles of the Church of England?

Archived