Home

Dak's WIPs

Dak Drexl

I'll probably do some grey rock instead of brown, or maybe even entirely made of ice. I dunno :xp:

Might it be as easy as converting those textures to greyscale in your paint program?

Also, I can't figure out the skybox yet, but whatever.

Here's an idea. Ask Xarwarz for permission to use his Polar Plateau replacement skybox. (However, he may have had someone make it for him - check his read me for more info.) As it's not using any actual material from TSL, it wouldn't be a porting issue. (Your mod is for K1, right?)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks very nice dak. Thank you Quanon for giving out some of your awesome areas!

Definitely!

Here's an idea. Ask Xarwarz for permission to use his Polar Plateau replacement skybox. (However, he may have had someone make it for him - check his read me for more info.) As it's not using any actual material from TSL, it wouldn't be a porting issue. (Your mod is for K1, right?)

Well I have a skybox... I just cant figure out what to name it so that it appears in-game.

Looks good so far Dak as always..plan on using that one myself.

Well I look forward to seeing how you skin that baby :thmbup1:

• 2 months later...

Ok well it's been a while and it feels good to post in this thread again :)

Much news on the recruit mod, good and bad of course. Let's see...

-The mod is almost finished. Well, it pretty much is finished, I just have to polish a few VO's and like one script.

-The reason it's almost finished is because the Nilban sidequest has been cut. If I set out to do such a big thing it would really never get released. I still have Q's areas working in K1 if anyone wants to use them though.

-Due to the Nilban cut, the installation will actually be way easier; the only reason I even need to make a TSLPatcher is to add in Dak's appearance. This mod will be very compatible.

-Tony Stark has been cut out and replaced by his personal assistant, JARVIS. He is a protocol droid and has his very own voiceovers. This way I feel like it's more of a nod to Iron Man and not a direct reference, though it is still Stark Industries and Tony is mentioned. I will be releasing the Tony Stark head as a playable character when I get around to it.

-Um, I forget if I mentioned this or not, but Dak replaces T3-M4.

I'm probably forgetting loads of stuff but I'll just leave you guys with something to see - here's a preview of some of the characters voiceovers in the mod. Note that the lines are pretty much randomly cut, especially Dak's lines that you get to see. The interrogation scene, however, plays out sequentially albeit majorly cut. I know I also mess with the volume and stuff but it just gives you a peek at the mod :)

th_dialog_preview.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, it's been a while. Very slowly going to start getting back into things around here! I'm at school now and I actually don't have my game disks with me so I can't work much on the recruit mod (it's not dead!!) but I can still model.

Are there any weapons anyone would like to see modeled? I'd like to make them replacements for existing in-game models, so keep in mind that they should parallel. i.e. a sniper rifle could replace the Sith sniper rifle or something.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hearing from you guys again.

Are there any weapons anyone would like to see modeled? I'd like to make them replacements for existing in-game models, so keep in mind that they should parallel. i.e. a sniper rifle could replace the Sith sniper rifle or something.

I have a suggestion for a replacement - the Sith Sniper Rifle, in fact. It's a request I previously made in this thread.

I believe I have more pictures if you need them. (PM me if that's the case.)

Thanks SH, consider it a WIP. Those pictures should do just fine.

Started working on a Wookiee bowcaster pistol/light rifle kind of thing since I think the diversity of the Wookiee weapons suck (for k1).

For now just a couple screen grabs from Maya:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=803&pictureid=8969

picture.php?albumid=803&pictureid=8968

And I thought it would be cool for them to have their own special power source kind of powered by nature, so I'm going to stick a glowing crystal type thing in the little cage I built on the gun:

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=803&pictureid=8967

The cage looks sloppy now but I'm working on it.

Looks pretty high-poly. You might want to try to keep it a little lower, otherwise it's going to be a pain to UV map. Plus, you're not going to be able to see the difference in-game.

Other than that, it looks like an excellent design. The crystal idea is a good touch as well!

Yeah if I smoothed it so much it would be like ~3,000 polys. I'm working in Maya now which has a nice smooth preview option which gives you the smooth result without actually having to smooth it. Thanks for the tip though, you're totally right :thmbup1:

Nah, I haven't tried but I seriously doubt it.

Just like with all 3D apps the modeling is pretty much the same between 3DS and Maya. The toolsets and interface are really different though... while 3ds is more geared toward modeling for video games and visualization, Maya is really geared towards animation. I've been really into 3d animation lately so I'm really just practicing on Maya here to get used to it (it's also easier to run on my Mac). When the modeling is done I just export it as an .obj and import into max.

IMO each has things that it's better at but I'm really just starting off in Maya, but hope that helps a little, I'd be happy to answer anything else if you need to know!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Star Trek rifle is all modeled and needs to be skinned. Unfortunately the scene won't render though so no pics (sorry).

I'm not sure if he wants anyone to know but I'm working on a scene for a mod of someone here. This is just a few seconds and the start of the scene. Note that the engine light has been changed to orange/yellow. Feedback is welcome!

Show spoiler
th_ebotest.jpg

Also, it appears that the Hawk starts to slow down at the end, which I don't think you intended to do. There's a way you can change that. There should be a button somewhere on the animation bar that looks like a sine wave, curve or parabola. If you click on that and change it to a straight line, it should go at a constant speed.

Archived