Home

Director Of New Superman Film

Revan 411

A new Superman film was recently announced quite a while ago, and the director attached to the project is Zack Snyder (who made 300, Watchmen, and The Legend of the Guardians).

To me, this news is actually good news. While I did enjoy the original two Superman films, I must confess that Superman: Returns was a huge letdown for me in terms of story, and character. The acting was also ridiculously sub-par, with Kevin Spacey being absolutely inferior when compared to the more sarcastic attitude of Gene Hackman (who played as Lex Luthor in the original 1978 Superman film).

So how will the new film compare to "Returns"? Quite simply, I dunno. Christopher Nolan, along with Snyder and David Goyer (screenwriter of the new film), are currently attached to the project, which makes me optimistic, and pessimistic at the same time.

The optimistic side of me likes the fact that three creative individuals are attached to the project, and most of them actually know how to make a good film when asked (Nolan directed Inception, and Batman Begins; while Zack Snyder made Watchmen, and The Legend of the Guardians). Plus, the current idea rolling around for this new Superman Project sounds like a risky, but interesting concept that I "hope" is executed right. Basically, the reboot will portray Superman as a more darker, modern, and a more believable character then past Superman films, and the premise is basically there to set up a Kryptonian mythology kinda thing.

Now, the pessimistic side of me sees this film as being risky in terms of financial funding, and direction. Not to mention the whole concept of it. A lot of Superman fanboy's would either pull all their hair out, and consistently bash the film for "rapping their childhood" (I'm not one of them), or they'd applause the film for being true, and consistent to the character of Superman. Either-way, it's risky, but it's a good kind of risky.

It's not like there's any other "unique" films out there in the current market.

I would've been more excited if Nolan was the director himself. I liked Snyder's movies, but a Superman movie is still something else.

But I can't wait to see how the modern age Clark Kent will keep his secret in a world where there's cell phones, internet and the like.

To me, this news is actually good news. While I did enjoy the original two Superman films, I must confess that Superman: Returns was a huge letdown for me in terms of story, and character. The acting was also ridiculously sub-par, with Kevin Spacey being absolutely inferior when compared to the more sarcastic attitude of Gene Hackman (who played as Lex Luthor in the original 1978 Superman film).

Well, Returns was pretty much a love letter to Richard Donner, so I can see why people might not have liked it much. I liked it well enough, though.

I'm not too sure about the idea of making Superman darker, though. Or, at least, I hope they don't make it as dark as Nolan's Batman films.

Considering how the original idea of Superman is beyond boredom at this point, I wouldn't mind a gritty reboot for Superman. Snyder is an alright director, and you can at least be sure that there will be awesome visual styling for the film if he's on board.

Not sure what Nolan is doing in the project, though. There can't possibly be enough room for Nolan and Snyder to co-direct, especially with Nolan having to work on a third Batman movie that is supposed to trump The Dark Knight.

I wonder what character flaws they're going to consider for Superman.

Superman Returns never happened.

It's a far better sequel to the first two Superman films than III, and especially the abomination that was Quest for Peace.

Am I the only one who didn't hate Superman Returns?

No, I like it, but I expected more than a copy of Donner's Superman with updated SFX.

Superman Returns was an entertaining movie, but not much beyond that. Seeing it once is enough to appreciate it as much as can be done. The problems with it only started to really bleed through for me when I watched it again on DVD.

I'm optimistic about a new Superman reboot, particularly with Nolan being involved. As a kid, Batman was destroyed for me by Batman Returns and that... other one, with the nipples on the Batsuit. But Nolan repaired the tarnished image of Batman those movies left in my mind, and I'm now content with his existence rather than ashamed of a part of my childhood.

Characters that are all powerful aren't particularly interesting...

Actually, I always found Superman's near total physical invulnerability to be a fantastic excuse for attempts to show the character's emotional and personal flaws. I realise that most iterations of Superman never explored the concept of a humanised Superman, but the Dean Cain TV series from the 90s, while certainly very flawed in itself, did a fairly good job of it. That's the direction I would take with a Superman reboot, personally: the idea that Clark Kent is who he is as a man, while Superman is merely what he can do.

Archived