Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean except the part where they try to give your head a free vacation from your neck in the opening minutes of the game? :xp:

To quote General Tullius, "I'm sure it was all just some misunderstanding". Now get back to fighting for the legion, we have no policies barring former prisoners from joining our ranks as auxilliaries tasked with super-critical missions.

Everyone seems to be playing Nords. Is this for story/lore reasons? I'm guessing it does make more sense (or seems more romantic) for a dragonborn to be a Nord. But why no love for Argonians? xD

What sort of characters are you guys playing?

I've made 4 characters so far at various stages of completion:

dovahkiin.jpg.bf91fb6cd73f3b1a97ef9f5e1ffa8b9d.jpg

First character is a Nord, since I always make my first char in Elder Scrolls games a native of the province where the game takes place. She was mostly experimental to try out the game mechanics, but eventually settled on being a light-armored skirmisher dual-wielding longswords. Gotten up to level 42 finishing the main plot, the College plot and various side quests and she is now in hibernation.

Second character is a Breton girl. While she's primarily a mage mastering all schools except for Illusion she's not beyond unsheathing Dawnbreaker whenever that would better serve her. Wears light armor (legendary-upgraded hide armor) and prefers to sneak around to gain the initiative in fights. My most accomplished character so far, at level 64. She has finished the main plot, mastered all the Shouts, is Harbinger of the Companions, Archmage of the College, a member of the Bards College, Thane of all holds in Skyrim except Windhelm, owns a house in every city where one is available, and has wiped the Dark Brotherhood from the face of Tamriel for having the audacity to come after her. She has not gotten involved in the civil war though since she feels both leaders are jerks and neither side's cause is noble.

Third character is a Redguard woman, focusing on straight melee combat with heavy armor and wielding a twohanded greatsword. My least played/accomplished character so far, at level 18 having not really done anything of note yet, mostly delving into crypts and dungeons looking for Word Walls.

Fourth (and current) character is a wood elf girl. True to the bosmer stereotype she's a sniper archer, focusing primarily on Sneak and Archery, though she's fairly accomplished at Conjuration as well since she uses a Bound Bow as her primary weapon ever since she found a Tome teaching it in an old ruin, fairly early on. She has also dabbled enough in Illusion to pick up the Quiet Casting perk. Rather frail (since she almost never gets hit her armor skills are abysmally low) but with frightening damage output (I'd guess about 99% of her arrows are sneak attacks), she relies on surprise, speed and evasion to take out enemies. At level 38 currently, having finished the main plot and working her way through the College and Companions plots. She was approached by the Thieves Guild, but since every single member of the Guild she's run into so far seemed to be nothing but jerks and lowly thugs doing the bidding of the local crime boss she declined to join them. (Missing the Robin Hood styled thief quests that Morrowind had...)

I'm playing a female high elf most skilled in one-handed weapons.

Is it just my view being colored by the Thalmor, or is pretty much every single high elf you run across in the game a self-absorbed jerk? It's almost as if they've gone out of their way to make that entire race as unsympathetic as they could in this game. :)

(Almost makes me want to make a High Elf character that's pleasant and helpful to everyone just to offset it. That and the speed/damage advantage they have over all the other races. :))

Haven't had a problem with the Legion, but the Thalmor have attacked me on sight since the beginning. The Thalmor patrols and the Dark Brotherhood assassins make sure Angel stays on her toes.

The Thalmor and Dark Brotherhood attacks are a bit peculiar. I never got attacked by either (outside of quests) on my first Nord character, while both have come after my other characters. I got attacked by a Thalmor patrol on sight with my wood elf before having done any quests at all aside from escaping from Helgen, so it seems them going after you is automatic and not due to something you do. (The leader of the patrol has the Execution orders letter on her.)

Either I got lucky or it seems the DB assassins stop attacking if you eradicate the Dark Brotherhood. My breton never saw one of them again after cleaning out their sanctuary at least. Would make sense, but so far this game hasn't been very big on making consequences of your actions manifest in-game other than the odd random encounter, so you never know. :)

To quote General Tullius, "I'm sure it was all just some misunderstanding".

I've stayed away from both the Legion and Stormcloaks on all my characters so far, since the Empire is corrupt, nepotistic, decadent and on the verge of collapse, and Ulfric and his cronies are Nord Supremacists who care more about their own power than the well-being of the people of Skyrim (that and how Ulfric treated the native bretons of the Reach, resulting in the current Forsworn situation).

Also, it seems like regardless of which side you join you have no choice but to make the local crime boss into Jarl in one of the major cities (Thongvor Silver-Blood becomes Jarl of Markarth if you join the Stormcloaks, Maven Black-Briar Jark of Riften if you join the Imperials). Though it seems the former can't be avoided since Tullius just folds over and gives Ulfric Markarth during the main plot no matter what you do. :roleyess:

Everyone seems to be playing Nords. Is this for story/lore reasons? I'm guessing it does make more sense (or seems more romantic) for a dragonborn to be a Nord. But why no love for Argonians? xD

My first character in Morrowind was a Dark Elf, and in Oblivion an Imperial, so it's sort of tradition to make a native of the province the game takes part in as first character. In Morrowind and Oblivion(?) it was also helpful since you got a Disposition bonus when talking to NPCs of the same race as you, and the "native" race had the most NPCs by far.

It might apply to a lesser degree in Skyrim as well. While the Disposition system is gone many Nords seem to be racists to some degree so you might get treated better by a few of them if you're a fellow Nord. :)

Now get back to fighting for the legion, we have no policies barring former prisoners from joining our ranks as auxilliaries tasked with super-critical missions.

He wouldn't be the first general in history to use convicts or others considered to be expendable as shock troops and send them on highly dangerous missions. :)

I'm level 6 Redguard: black, clean-shaved, massive and muscular and with a penchant for two-handed warhammers (which doesn't seem like a wise choice from what I've heard about dual-wielding). I'm a sellsword with a peculiar sense of moral (already challenged the Daedric Prince Hircine once and took what I thought was the lesser bounty because I didn't like the idea of hunting someone that was outnumbered).

It might apply to a lesser degree in Skyrim as well. While the Disposition system is gone many Nords seem to be racists to some degree so you might get treated better by a few of them if you're a fellow Nord.
A few people are openly hostile to my Redguard character but most don't seem to mind so far. I'm guessing things are a bit more tricky if you'er an elf.

But why no love for Argonians? xD
Skyrim has not enough rivers and no marsh to speak of, I believe. :(

A few people are openly hostile to my Redguard character but most don't seem to mind so far. I'm guessing things are a bit more tricky if you'er an elf.

Yeah, my Bosmer is always catching grief... Get a lot of "YOUR KIND" comments directed towards me. :¬:

I want to play a Khajit just to see how they explain letting me in the cities and not the trade caravans. Kinda sucks not having cities with a flavor of races (or treating non-Nord like dirt if they are present).. but I gotta give props to Beth for making me miss it. :)

I want to play a Khajit just to see how they explain letting me in the cities and not the trade caravans.

Yup. I started to play a Khajiit for just that reason and all I got was: "Stay out of trouble Khajiit." and "What do you want... cat?"

I would welcome a little open hostility from the locals, actually. :D Kinda wish Beth made a similar system like Bioware in Dragon Age: Origins, i.e. despite being a Warden, you would still be treated as dirt if you're an elf amongst humans.

Yup. I started to play a Khajiit for just that reason and all I got was: "Stay out of trouble Khajiit." and "What do you want... cat?"

I would welcome a little open hostility from the locals, actually. :D Kinda wish Beth made a similar system like Bioware in Dragon Age: Origins, i.e. despite being a Warden, you would still be treated as dirt if you're an elf amongst humans.

Overall it seems like your race matters very little other than the occasional "What do you want little elf?" oneliner from Nord NPCs. Even the Thalmor goons are cackling about elven supremacy and mankind knowing its place while fighting my wood elf. :wonder:

But I guess most NPCs have better things to do than picking on the weird bosmer that could kill them without lifting a finger. :)

Speaking of NPC feedback, it would have been a nice touch if the bards in taverns were singing about your feat after finishing the main quest. Vanquishing Alduin, a deity of the Nordic pantheon, does seem like it would be good bards tale material. Sure, they do get a new song after you finish the main quest, but for some reason they're singing about the confrontation between Alduin and Felldir, Hakon and Gormlaith thousands of years ago instead. :raise:

Was wondering which side everyone chose (if they have yet) Imperials or Stormcloaks?

I am undecided right now.

I've stayed out of the Civil War entirely on all my characters since neither side has a just cause or sympathetic leadership. No matter which side you'd pick there would be unpleasant consequences.

The Empire:

Seems to be just one step away from total collapse. Rampant corruption, nepotistic rule, the justice system has all but collapsed (they were about to lop your head off without even being accused of anything), having the right connections allows you to get away with anything. Allows the Thalmor to do whatever they want within imperial territories and even lends them a hand on occasion.

If you aid them Maven Black-Briar (the local crime boss) will be installed as Jarl of Riften since she has connections in the Imperial City. (She gets my top vote for #1 NPC to deserve losing her Essential/Unkillable flag.)

The Stormcloaks:

Nord Supremacists, wants to toss out or subjugate all non-Nords in Skyrim. Racists looking down on all who aren't a Nord, which is evident for anyone spending any time talking to people in Windhelm, Ulfric's capital.

After taking back The Reach and Markarth from its native Breton population (who at the time were on the verge of being recognized as a independent kingdom by the Empire) Ulfric ruthlessly persecuted anyone who had cooperated in any way with that kingdom and essentially enslaved the natives, resulting in the forming of the Forsworn movement by survivors who fled into the wilderness. (See the in-game book Bear of Markarth for the history of that.) Ulfric Stormcloak is not a nice guy by any standards. The Greybeards certainly aren't picky who they choose to train in using the Voice.

If you help the Stormcloaks then Thongvor Silver-Blood ends up being Jarl of Markarth. The Silver-Blood family's criminal activities are quite evident in the game, and they look upon the native bretons as little more than slave labor meant to toil in the mines.

So yeah. I'll let them kill each other and then build something new and better on the ashes instead when they're done. :p

I joined the Stormcloaks with my first character, but next I'm going to stay out of the war and try the negotiating a peace treaty option.

Both sides have reasons for and against, I'm sure one of my characters will work for the empire despite that little "misunderstanding" in the prologue.

I joined the Stormcloaks with my first character, but next I'm going to stay out of the war and try the negotiating a peace treaty option.

Both sides have reasons for and against, I'm sure one of my characters will work for the empire despite that little "misunderstanding" in the prologue.

Peace Treaty? That's an option? I have not played very far through the main story so I'm guessing this will be a later option. I think I'll go for that because it sounds like both sides need to "kiss and make up".

Think of it more like a "temporary cessation of hostilities", than a full-on "peace treaty".

FWIW, I intentionally do the civil war quest before the main quest just to avoid this part. The writing isn't bad, but it's just one more thing in Skyrim that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

FWIW, I intentionally do the civil war quest before the main quest just to avoid this part. The writing isn't bad, but it's just one more thing in Skyrim that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah, I thought it was really poorly done. Didn't quite know what was happening or who anyone was talking to.

I went Stormcloaks with my first character pretty much just because he's a Nord and the Empire head cutting attempt and everything. It seems like you can only see how douchey each side is after you join them which is pretty annoying. That said though, I thought the quests were at least good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I hope they fix the bloating issue. Whenever my save gets over 19mb my game crashes in some specific locations. If I manage to lower my save game to about 18.7mb (after eating all my ingredients, food as well as selling all my unused items and sleeping for days and days), everything functions normally again...but I can only do this once or twice as data continues to accumulate :mad: Unfortunately it is not clear whether or not they address this issue.

She has such a beautiful voice.
I'd be nice if we could hear it...I wonder what it would sound like without the excessive reverb?

I'd be nice if we could hear it...I wonder what it would sound like without the excessive reverb?

Don't pretty much all artists nowadays use tons of sound processing and effects in studio recordings? Doesn't bother me if it fits the song, which I think the kind of ghostly effect it produces does in this case. :)

(Just makes it troublesome when performing live if you're used to doing a 10 man choir on your own I guess :))

I hope they fix the forsworn quest issue that keeps me from entering markarth now....

What's the Forsworn Quest Issue? Only problem I've experienced with the Forsworn Conspiracy so far is that if I do it after the local crime syndicate (Silver-Blood) has been installed as Jarl the Stormcloak town guards won't stay dead for more than a few days. :raise:

(Well, that and my previously unblemished criminal record getting stuck with a "Largest lifetime bounty" stat of 1000 after doing it. :roleyess: )

1.4 Patch and CK release coming soon!

Very nice. :) A shame it took this long though, if it had been available during the christmas holidays I'd have had more time to play around with the construction kit. Still got some modding done, but doing it low-level with FO3 TESsnip and an incomplete NifSkope is rather bothersome.

I just hope they've tested this patch properly too so it doesn't cause more problems than it solves, like the earlier ones. Maybe I can finally take Steam out of Offline Mode then and upgrade from Skyrim v1.1.21 :)

Archived