Home

Norton 360: worth installing?

Totenkopf

Not a fan of Norton...

I'm running Windows 7 so I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, runs well with the system, extremely efficient/low resources and is kept up to date very well by Microsoft.

This pretty much says it all. I've never liked nor trusted Norton, to be honest.

I use Avast!. Turn on "gaming mode" and forget it's there. I didn't realize MS had a free anti-virus. Might check it out next time I reformat. *shrugs*

Norton isn't any good, though. It's too intrusive when you don't want it to be and not very good at catching what you want it to catch. At least, it's no better than the free alternative in Avast! and AGV.

You know how a lot of programs will tell you to disable your anti-virus before installing? That's for Norton. I hear McAfee can also cause install problems, but I'm not sure. Anyway, with Avast! and AGV I never once had to disable them to install something. At the same time, things you don't want on your computer are more likely to wind up there with Norton. It's a pain and not very good.

My old man used Norton Anti-Virus software once upon-a-time, Tot. It screwed up his registry files somehow, he didn't have much luck with McAfee either (as Bob was saying about the install problems), he did have a helluva time trying to install most software with McAfee.

And Bob mentioned Avast, that's what I always use, the family as well. But I heard the professional version of Avast was 10 times better, probably won't be cheap though; you'll have to buy that one. Although I'd recommend you try the free home version first to see how you like it.

Uhh, F*** NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They failed to protect my 2003 PCG-FRV35 Sony Vaio. It was a trojan virus and some hardware hack which physically RUINED my hard drive, and one they specifically had in their database to boot.

Essentially it was, "Well, send it in to us, and for a fee we will take care of it and blahblahblah. You will need to redlist a certain segment of dates on system restore because our patch simply seals it, we cannot get rid of the trojan so a warning will always pop up." They gave me nothing but runaround besides that. Meanwhile I'm looking at my poor machine, no experience, my own first computer, knowing that if I turn it off it will never turn back on the same.

Tried pursuing Norton for its failure, and they pointed me to the terms and conditions of the EULA which said that [their] "product may not sufficiently protect against all incidents and is not guaranteed to fully protect against any and/or every threat that may arise at any time, from anywhere, of any and every form arising out of any and every such incident(s)".

:swear:

Yeah, nice. So I can't count on you people at Norton, to protect my machine, or ANYTHING ELSE from stuff that is ALREADY COVERED under your database, let alone the possible threats anytime anywhere somesuch?

So I tried the local shop instead who didn't yet have the tools to save files from a pretty much doomed situation...yeah it was pretty much screwed no matter what. They reinstalled my OS because the drive was viable despite its degenerating issue. I lost everything documents wise and they told me the drive had ~1.5 years left to live. It made a buzzing grind that got louder and LOUDER and **LOUDER*, and got so hot itself I thought it was going to start a fire. Aaaaaaand <Pffft!>, dead.

Yup, ~1.5 years later.

Hey Norton: You call what you did CUSTOMER SERVICE?

Umm,

Yeah it came as a preinstalled deal from Costco. Or at least I thought it was a deal. >_>

I figured I finally needed an upgrade, as it was early 2004 and I was still using my Apple Macintosh Performa 6300CD. No internet, just word processing, crude graphics design, and some games. Served the family real good.

*looks at ancient machine in closet* So many years, so many memories.

Norton is the worst and most intrusive "anti-virus" on the market. Don't do it. They're the "Origin" of anti-virus progz :xp:

Go with Avast or MSE.

PC-Cillin isn't (wasn't) too bad, but I haven't used them in years.. they may have gotten as bad as Norton by now.

Kaspersky is even worse than Norton. I got it for free after rebate a few years back and it was a freaking nightmare. It was like computing behind the Iron Curtain. It put a stranglehold on every process and questioned every little thing I did. Never again, Kaspersky. :dozey:

I'm with Pho3nix. Avira is consistently rated as the best free antivirus you can get. I use it in conjunction with Comodo firewall, which is also free. With protection like that available, there is no reason for private users to pay for virus protection.

Tip: If you decide to use Comodo firewall, only install the firewall (NOT the included antivirus), and disable Defense Plus once it's installed.

@ Pho3nix: No, no... you can trust Microsoft to keep your computer safe from viruses, malware, etc because Microsoft has invested interested in you staying with Windows. If MSE did any of the asshat things Norton did then it wouldn't just make people stop using MSE, it'd making people stop using Windows entirely.

I mean, they're not some evil corporation who tries to deny the very existence of any type of virus and pretends their OS is completely immune. They're just trying to help.

@ Pho3nix: No, no... you can trust Microsoft to keep your computer safe from viruses, malware, etc because Microsoft has invested interested in you staying with Windows. If MSE did any of the asshat things Norton did then it wouldn't just make people stop using MSE, it'd making people stop using Windows entirely.

I mean, they're not some evil corporation who tries to deny the very existence of any type of virus and pretends their OS is completely immune. They're just trying to help.

Haha well... courtesy of my dad I guess. He's had his issues with the company because of his line of work, and was always keen to remind me even as a kid to use alternative software whenever possible.

I'm sure MSE is fine... but I still wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole if It's up to me.

• 1 month later...

Norton is good but it really uses up too many resources, as people have said already.

I currently have Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a separate USB drive. Just don't use Avast. I got a bad virus once and Avast did nothing to stop it.

I use Avast!. Turn on "gaming mode" and forget it's there. I didn't realize MS had a free anti-virus. Might check it out next time I reformat. *shrugs*

Norton isn't any good, though. It's too intrusive when you don't want it to be and not very good at catching what you want it to catch. At least, it's no better than the free alternative in Avast! and AGV.

You know how a lot of programs will tell you to disable your anti-virus before installing? That's for Norton. I hear McAfee can also cause install problems, but I'm not sure. Anyway, with Avast! and AGV I never once had to disable them to install something. At the same time, things you don't want on your computer are more likely to wind up there with Norton. It's a pain and not very good.

Avast is my weapon of choice as well I have been using it for years and NEVER had a virus whilst using it. Enough said I think :carms:

^^^Already have it on board--works with anything else. My only gripe is it is part of google's distribution and keeps trying to open an extraneous google search program (comes installed on most machines). I'm guessing for their analytics. It's a vulnerability prone to viruses. No big deal because you can simply disable it as it isn't essential, but most people aren't aware of it. My computer tech showed me it.

Archived