Home

Concerning the future of LF

Darth Avlectus

Ok swampies, you've known for awhile this place is dead quiet. The truth of the matter is LF is dead in all but name and operability of website. So I'd like to know who all still comes around and posts here.

I realize I'm a jackass and not really one of the swamp 'oldbies'. I don't see that many of them are still coming around anymore, though.

This is taking a survey, or perhaps a vitality reading, of the remains of this site.

Speak up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I miss the Swamp. I miss message boards in general. But it's hard to rekindle the old magic. I'd like to think new Star Wars content would revive this place but Star Wars wasn't what kept me coming here, it was the community. It seems like most of us have moved on.

I miss the Swamp. I miss message boards in general. But it's hard to rekindle the old magic. I'd like to think new Star Wars content would revive this place but Star Wars wasn't what kept me coming here, it was the community. It seems like most of us have moved on.

It has to do with loyalty as well, too bad too few people are familiar with that concept.

Just keep posting, and the website will be here.

I see a lot of regulars visiting each other's 'home' forums, and that reflects the shrinking nature of the thing...but it means we're committed to the community instead of just flying off to other sites.

:dozey: If in the future there were just one forum on one website called 'Toothless Old Star Wars Farts Who Still Play Video Games,' that would still be just fine.

I'm hardly one of the "oldies" either, but I have several fond memories of this community. Forums and message boards like LF are a really great thing--it's a shame that they have fallen to the wayside for sites like Reddit to take their place.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, I just saw my Avatar for the first time in....5 years? It scared me.

• 2 weeks later...
I miss the Swamp. I miss message boards in general. But it's hard to rekindle the old magic.

Forums and message boards like LF are a really great thing--it's a shame that they have fallen to the wayside for sites like Reddit to take their place.

Yes it's very sad. Communities used to have to be home grown, for the most part. Lots of dedicated users who built fan sites and forums and hosted custom mods. Now there's official twitter accounts for Lucasfilm and link sharing sites (Digg which imploded and lead to Reddit) that focus less and less on the individuality of a given user (no avatars, signatures, etc.) and more on sharing articles, mostly straight from the source.

Old VBulletin forum sites are an elegant tool, from a more civilized age. An age where Joss Whedon was an underdog and "nerd culture" wasn't mainstream.

But the reality, folks, is that there are 5 new Star Wars movies coming out in the next 4.5 years and, when I joined LF, there were only 5 Star Wars movies! There really isn't a Lucasarts anymore, but we still have Tim Schafer.

Although, we could easily try to leverage these new tools....

https://www.reddit.com/r/yodasswamp

• 1 month later...
Good to see you bunch.

Yeah, seems like these vbulletin style forums are becoming things of the past.

That's exactly what I was about to say. I'm sad because I'm just too old and grumpy to get into 140 character or less social media. I like having long-winded discussions and stuff like that.

• 1 month later...
That's exactly what I was about to say. I'm sad because I'm just too old and grumpy to get into 140 character or less social media. I like having long-winded discussions and stuff like that.

You know what's funny is I once considered this place to be a place of keeping brevity, and now I see there's a difference between that and quality in having discussions online. I realized after some long winded posts I made here was that this place doesn't mind discussing things at length, just engage the subject and don't try to be flashy.

And after enough 4chan, and janitorial duty on an electrical engineering forum where you'd get $*** posts of people not even putting whole sentences together...and yes even crap on social media... I really am going to miss "old days" of foruming not quite 10 years old to me yet. Sure this type of online activity will always be around but it won't be a booming thing. On the other hand, it gives us the chance to know each other that much more.

Yeah... I guess we're all getting a little older now. :) But we're not old yet.

As for being grumpy... I think we tend to look back on ourselves and others with a different, changed set of eyes and see things we don't like. It is well to improve, but also to let go of past mistakes. Doting is vanity and pointless.

No, rather let us always remember our roots fondly, but live in the present. This place is on its way out into archive land.

As one of my last posts here, in the swamp, I'm glad to have been a part of it here. I hope if any of you come back here after this place is archived, that I see you in Star Wars Gamer. Ahto has found its new home.

Archived