Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

4 minutes ago, fentongames said:

(Also Guybrush technically never tells Stan his name in MI1/2, making his "Of course! Guybrush Threepwood!" line a continuity error. Maybe ReMI could fix that by introducing them to each other properly!)

This could also be his sales persona bluffing his way through. If Guybrush would’ve said any other name he’d react the same because he wants that sale! (Even though he’s not selling anything yet at that point, but than again, it’s his whole personality.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fentongames said:

ReMI - Stan shows up in hell just as Ron Gilbert planned. Turns out he died while trapped in the coffin. Guybrush has to send Stan back to life somehow.

I prefer it that the inhabitants of hell find Stan too unbearable (presumably he tries to sell everyone something) and so instead send him back to earth... trapped in his coffin and unable to die again :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fentongames said:

(Also Guybrush technically never tells Stan his name in MI1/2, making his "Of course! Guybrush Threepwood!" line a continuity error. Maybe ReMI could fix that by introducing them to each other properly!)

Guybrush was trying to make a name for himself in TSoMI, so he told basically everybody his name. News of a "new, inexperienced" pirate even got to LeChuck way below Monkey Island. The business savvy Stan could would of course know that name, but not divulge any information he doesn't have to.

41 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

There’s so many ways a character and start in a location and end in the same location. 

And I really won't be the one to nitpick the funk out of ReMI going "But in CMI Stan said that it was Guybrush who locked him in that coffin". 🙈 Personally, Stan was never one of my favorites, so I'd be okay with a short and sweet nod to his predicament without actually getting him out of there.

10 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

By the way, wasn't it revealed that the guy who voiced Stan in TMI also voices him in this game? That means we can scratch him off our lists, right? That leaves the Voodoo Lady and Jojo the monkey. My bet is still on Jojo.

If I'm not mistaken, the exact reveal was that Gavin Hammon (who voiced him in Tales) is part of the cast of the new game, not that he's voicing Stan specifically. Of course, that would be the most obvious assumption, but I think it's not been actually confirmed.

Given that Ron's entire plan for MI3 is Guybrush goes to hell and Stan is there, I think it's likely that Stan is a favourite of Ron's, so I'd be somewhat surprised if he doesn't make it in just because of CMI, but it's not impossible. Out of the ones in the list my money's on

1) Voodoo Lady (maybe they just decided that the other games have taken this character as far as it goes, or they didn't want to touch the revelations from Tales, so found it easier just to sidestep the character

2) Stan (Has only been a fairly minor character in the games so far, after all)

3) Jojo the Monkey (would be the easiest one to get rid of without anyone caring. Jeez, EMI introduced a whole new character called Timmy the Monkey like we were supposed to know who that was, when Jojo was RIGHT THERE)

The only reason that I don't think it's Jojo is that I don't think Ron would have been as likely to bother with this tease if that's all it was.

• Like 1

Just now, KestrelPi said:

Jeez, EMI introduced a whole new character called Timmy the Monkey like we were supposed to know who that was, when Jojo was RIGHT THERE)

Ehm... I seemed to get my Jojo's mixed up two posts ago. So there were three Jojo's and a Timmy, right? Jojo sr. was the monkey hanging from the totem pole in MI1. Jojo is the piano playing monkey from part 2, and Jojo Jr. is Jojo sr.'s son in EMI...

I thought Jojo sr. was the one in the picture on Twitter, but it seems to be Jojo the piano playing monkey. Guybrush could go back to the waterfall faucet and finally free him from his trance...

13 minutes ago, Groggoccino said:

If I'm not mistaken, the exact reveal was that Gavin Hammon (who voiced him in Tales) is part of the cast of the new game, not that he's voicing Stan specifically. Of course, that would be the most obvious assumption, but I think it's not been actually confirmed.

Oh, I hope so! I think he did a good job. The original Stan from Curse and the Special Editions grew on me but I found it very jarring at first. His voice just seemed way too syrupy and slow for the fast-talking, hand-waving sprite I had imagined.

Yeah, it was never confirmed that Hammond was voicing Stan in ReMI, but it's natural to assume that he is. I'd have personally gone for Pinney in ReMI just for the sake of continuity, but I had no problems whatsoever with Hammonds' performance in Tales. I guess it'd be comparable to how Elaine goes from British in three games, to American in EMI, then British again in TMI and ReMI.

I thought Pinney was perfect in Curse in terms of voice and delivery, but in the SE's it almost felt like they forgot to tell Pinney that Stan is a fast-talker, and he became more of a "smooth talking salesman" instead which didn't match his animations. (Though admittedly his performance as Stan trapped in the coffin did both make me laugh and feel sorry for him in a way that the classic mode never did!)

31 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Ehm... I seemed to get my Jojo's mixed up two posts ago. So there were three Jojo's and a Timmy, right? Jojo sr. was the monkey hanging from the totem pole in MI1. Jojo is the piano playing monkey from part 2, and Jojo Jr. is Jojo sr.'s son in EMI...

I thought Jojo sr. was the one in the picture on Twitter, but it seems to be Jojo the piano playing monkey. Guybrush could go back to the waterfall faucet and finally free him from his trance...

I am basing this on memory from a long time ago but I think the Jojo in EMI clarifies that his father was the one left on the totem and ended up dying there.

I don’t think he was even named in SMI was he? So it’s just more daft EMI retconning. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

It's a little complicated. The grey monkey in MI1 was never actually named in-game. The brown monkey playing the piano on Scabb Island was called Jojo. The grey monkey in EMI on Monkey Island was called Jojo Jr. , but he's actually the son of the grey monkey from MI1, who was retroactively named Jojo Sr.

Bottom line. All monkeys in the Caribbean (aside from Timmy) are named Jojo!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fentongames said:

It's a little complicated. The grey monkey in MI1 was never actually named in-game. The brown monkey playing the piano on Scabb Island was called Jojo. The grey monkey in EMI on Monkey Island was called Jojo Jr. , but he's actually the son of the grey monkey from MI1, who was retroactively named Jojo Sr.

Bottom line. All monkeys in the Caribbean (aside from Timmy) are named Jojo!

Thanks for clearing that up! In that case Jojo is most certainly in the game! 😉

2 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

And I really won't be the one to nitpick the funk out of ReMI going "But in CMI Stan said that it was Guybrush who locked him in that coffin". 🙈 Personally, Stan was never one of my favorites, so I'd be okay with a short and sweet nod to his predicament without actually getting him out of there.

There’s still so many ways Stan could be let out by Guybrush only to fall for the same trick twice and be locked up by him again. (And fix the continuity issue where Stan is never actually told Guybrush's name in the process.) As someone once said to me, that's the magic of writing: You're making it up!

Classic example: Obi-Wan tells Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, only to be told in the next film he IS his father. You can write your way around anything. 

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Oh, I hope so! I think he did a good job. The original Stan from Curse and the Special Editions grew on me but I found it very jarring at first. His voice just seemed way too syrupy and slow for the fast-talking, hand-waving sprite I had imagined.

Yep, I felt the same. I get they were going for "stereotypical used car salesman" with they voice they picked, but he'd always been a Southern accented fast-talker in my mind. ("Howdy!") I mean his sprite literally can't stop moving. Even when he's listening, he's tapping his foot.

His CMI voice was too lackadaisical for my liking. (And the manic arm-waving didn't work as well in high resolution animation.)

Fans: We're never pleased! :)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

57 minutes ago, fentongames said:

I thought Pinney was perfect in Curse in terms of voice and delivery, but in the SE's it almost felt like they forgot to tell Pinney that Stan is a fast-talker, and he became more of a "smooth talking salesman" instead which didn't match his animations.

He seemed like a smooth talker in Curse to me as well. I love the sound of his voice but it never sounded like Stan to me. That low-toned drawn out “Weehhllcome to muuutual of Stahhhnn” just never seemed right. Again an excellent voice and great performance, but not Stan as I heard him.

Stan always seemed like he should be Kurt Russell from “Used Cars” (or as I recently learned, the person that archetype is based on: Cal Worthington), a more nasal, sweaty fast talking guy who never lets you get a word in.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jake said:

He seemed like a smooth talker in Curse to me as well. I love the sound of his voice but it never sounded like Stan to me. That low-toned drawn out “Weehhllcome to muuutual of Stahhhnn” just never seemed right. Again an excellent voice and great performance, but not Stan as I heard him.

Stan always seemed like he should be Kurt Russell from “Used Cars” (or as I recently learned, the person that archetype is based on: Cal Worthington), a more nasal, sweaty fast talking guy who never lets you get a word in.

Yep, that's exactly it. And this clip from Used Cars, too. He's even got the same checked jacket:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

There’s no reason Guybrush can’t talk to Stan in his coffin and decide to leave him there. There’s no reason Stan can’t be let out of his coffin only to be trapped again at the end of the game.

When we thought the game might be set in Hell (per the I final MI3 plan) it also would have made sense that Stan was down there, after dying in his coffin. But was rejected by Hell for being too annoying (I like this idea). 

There’s so many ways a character and start in a location and end in the same location. 

Yeah when Ron posted the "Guybrush is in hell chashing demon LeChuck and Stan's there too" thing that really read like he's supposed to die in the coffin but I dunno, that may be too dark even for MI2 Guybrush. :D

Him getting let out of the coffin only to be trapped again at the end on the other hand feels really forced. The way I see it Stan is kind of an old, outdated archetype, the character that's the most likely to get cut from a modern game that's supposed to be full of new characters.

Or it's the monkey. :D

• Like 1

Oh and btw I'd be absolutely fine with Stan not being in the game since I don't believe in the "everyone has to be in every installment for it to be legit" thing and I think that's what hurt him in Escape. If you remember Stan is in Escape, he does absolutely nothing and serves no purpose but he's in Escape... because he has to be in Monkey Island, right? It's part of the IP, right? No, if someone has nothing to do with the story then leave that character out.

Damn, Stan is so funny in SOMI. Whoever wrote his dialogue did a great job. He may have been coasting since this high point:

Man      : Howdy! I'm Stan of Stan's Previously Owned Vessels. ...and I'd
           stand on my head to make you a deal. What sort of craft are you
           looking for? Big? Little? Fast? Slow? You want it, I got it. And if
           I don't got it, I'll get it. I want to make you a deal that YOU'RE
           happy with. Because if YOU'RE not happy, I'M not happy. But I KNOW
           you're going to leave here happy today. How do I know? Just look at
           all these ships! I've got something for everyone! Come take a look
           around!

They walk to the dock area.

Stan     : So tell me--  What are you interested in looking at today?

Guybrush : Let me see the best ship you've got.

Stan     : Hey, it's nice to meet a man who appreciates quality. I've got JUST
           the boat for you! Walk this way.

Now before them is a big, red ship.
Stan     : Now this... This is a ship fit for a king! I mean, we're talking
           fifteen staterooms--a fireplace in every one. We're talking two
           pools--one indoor, one outdoor. We're talking rotating ballroom.
           We're talking heated crow's nest. We're talking two hundred feet of
           ocean-going decadence. And all for one low price. Speaking of
           price... Let's talk about money--YOUR money.

Guybrush : Money is no object!

Stan     : Well, it is with me. How much you got?

Guybrush : All I have is this rubber chicken.

Stan     : Is it one of those rubber chickens with a pulley in the middle? I
           already got one of those. You wouldn't happen to have any OTHER
           means of finance, would you?

Guybrush : Actually, I was hoping to get one on credit.

Stan     : Sorry, kid. Neither a borrower nor a lender be. That's just old
           Stan's philosophy. If you've got a job, the storekeeper in town
           might extend you some credit. Then we'd have something to talk
           about. Unless, of course, you've already got some other means of
           financing...?

Guybrush : Oh... no more than 174 pieces of eight.

Stan     : I think we must be talking about completely different ships here.
           You've obviously been out of the ship market for quite some time. I
           doubt you're carrying enough cash on you for this transaction. You
           wouldn't happen to have any OTHER means of finance, would you?

Guybrush : On second thought, this may not be the ship for me.

Stan     : Of course it isn't! You're looking for a much bigger boat, I can
           tell. So what else can I show you?

Guybrush : Something not too expensive, but built to last.

Stan     : Affordable quality? Hey, that's my motto! I've got JUST the boat
           for you! Walk this way.

Stan walks Guybrush to a viking sort of boat.
Stan     : Now I can see you're a no-frills kind of guy. But I can also tell
           that quality means a lot to you. I mean, just look at the way you
           dress. Rugged. Like this baby. She comes from a land far to the
           North... ...where the sea is as unforgiving as the men are tough
           and-- --hey, you wouldn't happen to be from there would you? You
           just seem to have a sort of Nordic quality about you... Anyway,
           we're talking about a real value here... Let's talk about money --
           YOUR money.

Stan     : I'm glad this ship doesn't have ears, my friend. Because if she
           did, she'd slap your face. I don't think you've got the cash for
           this transaction either. Yo do have SOME other means of payment...
           Don't you?

Stan     : Okay, but I got five other guys coming to look at this baby today.
           Don't count on it being here if you change your mind. So what else
           can I show you?

Guybrush : That spiffy blue one by your office looks nice.

Stan     : Of course it does. It's mine. And it's not for sale. What ELSE can
           I show you?

Guybrush : I really don't have that much to spend.

Stan     : Have no fear! Every ship I sell is a bargain! But if you're looking
           for a real steal... I've got JUST the boat for you! Walk this way.

They go to the furthest ship.

Stan     : This here is the famous "Sea Monkey." --The only ship ever to make
           it to Monkey Island™... ...and come back with anyone aboard left
           alive. Or, should I say, anyTHING. You see, two previous owners of
           this ship were two adventurous pirates. They set off, like many
           before, to find the legendary Secret of Monkey Island™. And,
           like many before, they disappeared forever. Their fate--a mystery.
           Almost as mysterious as how this ship returned to Mêlée Island™
           without a single human aboard. Some claim it was sailed back by a
           crew of chimps. 

Guybrush : Chimps? There aren't any chimps in the Caribbean! 

Stan     : Oh, shut up. It makes a good story. Anyway, this baby's mine now...
           That is, until someone makes me an offer. How much would you like
           to spend?      

Stan     : Look... This is a very reasonably priced ship... but not that
           reasonable. I don't think you've got the cash for this transaction
           either. You do have SOME other means of payment... Don't you?

Stan     : Well heck, I can understand that. Nothing wrong with being
           indecisive. Even if it is a waste of my time. So what else can I 
           show you?

Guybrush : Actually, I'd like to go think about it some more.

Stan     : Sure, sure. Think it over. I don't want you to feel pressured or
           anything. Bye now.

Guybrush walks to leave the place, but suddenly...

Stan     : I forgot to give you my card.

Gives card.

Stan     : And here's something else to remember me by.

Guybrush : A compass?

Stan     : An extra strong magnetic compass--

Guybrush : With your picture on it...

Stan     : That's right! It always points directly back here, so if you're
           looking for a good deal, you know where to go! I'll be right here
           when you come back, But I can't guarantee that any of these ships
           will!

Guybrush : Right. 

Guybrush walks away.

Stan     : They're moving fast today! Yessiree... Can't hardly keep anything
           in stock.
           (beat)
           He'll be back.
LATER...

With the note in hand, Guybrush returns to the Used Ship Emporium.

Stan     : Howdy! Great to see you again! I knew you'd come back! Everybody
           does! You know WHY they come back? Just look at all these ships!
           I've got something for everyone! Come take a look around! So what
           else can I show you?

Guybrush : Uh... could I see that red one again?

Stan     : I knew it! I knew it! Just can't get her out of your mind, can you?
           Walk this way. Now here's a ship... ...that's definitely worth a
           second look. Let's talk about money--YOUR money.

Guybrush : I got credit from the storekeeper. Will you take it?

Stan     : I'd love to. I really would. I USUALLY do. But not for the amount
           this baby's going to run you. Maybe one of the other ships would be
           more in your price range. So what else can I show you?

Guybrush : Uh... could I see that Viking one again?

Stan     : Sure! No problemo! After all, I've got nothing better to do than 
           haul my butt up and down this dock showing some guys like you the
           same ships over and over again all day long! Walk this way. Can't
           keep your eyes off her, can you? What kind of price range were you
           thinking of?

Stan     : I'd love to. I really would. I USUALLY do. But not for the amount
           this baby's going to run you. Maybe one of the other ships would be
           more in your price range. So what else can I show you?

Guybrush : Uh... how much do you want for yours?

Stan     : I told you, it's not for sale! Geeze, you're annoying... But, hey!
           So am I, right? What ELSE can I show you?

Guybrush : Uh, could I see that cheap one again?

Stan     : Why not? I got all day! Walk this way. Hard to stay away from a
           good mystery, isn't it? Just how much were you looking to spend
           today?

Stan     : Hey, of course! Your credit's always good at Stan's... It doesn't
           matter if you've had credit problems in the past... Divorce...
           Bankruptcy... Chronic gambling mishaps... I mean, who am I to
           judge, right? If the storekeeper trusts you enough to give you a
           letter of credit... ...then you must be a honest man with a steady
           income, right?

Guybrush : Uh... right.

Stan     : Let's get down to brass tacks, shall we? I know you want it... 
           ...you know you want it... ...and I know that you know that I want
           to sell it, so...

Guybrush : Well, what do you think it's worth?

Stan     : You could sail this puppy away TODAY, for just 10000 pieces of
           eight. How does that sound to you?

Guybrush : Let's talk extras.

Stan     : Extras? You want to talk extras? Great! This baby's LOADED with
           extras! For instance... Did I tell you about the porthole
           defoggers?

Guybrush : I think I can live without that particular piece of junk.

Stan     : Okay, but don't blame me if you run into an iceberg or something.
           But wait, there's more! Did I tell you about the anti-lock anchor?

Stan     : Sure, throw safety to the wind. But wait, there's more! Did I tell
           you about the rack-and-pinion rudder?

Stan     : Well, I guess it'll float without it... ...barely. But wait,
           there's more! Did I tell you about the velour sail covers?

Stan     : Hey, travel light, I can understand that, sure. Of course, mutiny
           is an ugly word... But wait, there's more! Did I tell you about the
           tack-o-meter?

Stan     : Wow, does your wife know you're such a cheapskate? But wait,
           there's more! Did I tell you about the elevator made with wood from
           burgundy wine casks?

Stan     : Yeah, I guess that IS kind of decadent, isn't it? But wait, there's
           more! Did I tell you about the simulated wood siding?

Stan     : Okay, but I'm telling you: Barnacles HATE simulated wood. But wait,
           there's more! Did I tell you about the porthole defoggers?

Guybrush : Enough about extras, already. 

Stan     : Okay, where were we...

Guybrush : Well, what do you think it's worth? 

Stan     : You could sail this puppy away TODAY, for just 7300 pieces of
           eight. How does that sound to you?

Guybrush : I'd like to make you an offer. 

Stan     : Great! How much?

Guybrush : I'd like to pay 2000 pieces of eight.

Stan     : Sure, I guess we can start out at the bottom. I got all day. I'm
           going to be getting a whole new shipment next week, so you got me
           over a barrel. I've GOT to sell this baby, even if it means losing
           my shirt.

Guybrush : How does 3000 pieces of eight sound?

Stan     : That's a little bit more like it... ...but not much. I know you can
           try harder than that. Just tell me, what would it take to get you
           to sail this ship away... TODAY?

Guybrush : Okay, okay. 4000 pieces of eight.

Stan     : That's a little bit more like it... ...but not much. I know you can
           try harder than that. You realize, don't you, that they just don't
           make them like this anymore.

Guybrush : All right! 5000! But that's my final offer!

Stan     : Five thousand pieces of eight?!?
           (brief pause) Okay! Okay! It's killing me, but okay! And I thought
           I was going to give my children Christmas presents this year... 
           Just take it out of here. I'm GLAD to get rid of it. Oh yeah, do
           you have that note from the storekeeper with you? 

Guybrush : (gives the note)

Stan     : Thanks. ...I've got to run these numbers by my boss... ...he'll
           think I'm nuts, but I'll talk him into it. You meet me at the dock
           with your crew. I'll bring the ship and the papers. I just want to
           say that I really feel like we got to know each other today. I
           mean, I really felt some bonding here. And I don't just say that to
           everybody! It's been great doing business with you. Really.

(Sucker.)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zaxx said:

The way I see it Stan is kind of an old, outdated archetype, the character that's the most likely to get cut from a modern game that's supposed to be full of new characters.

I think today’s kids would just assume he’s based on phone shop salesmen. 😀

• Like 1