Jump to content

Home

Details of Monkey Island


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Thrik said:

I noticed while checking out music in another thread that it only seems to be the CD version of Monkey Island 1 that has an extended version of the LeChuck theme, where they mess around with the keys to riff off of the same underlying jig.

 

Here’s the original EGA music (with MT-32), where it just repeats the same tune.

 

But now listen to the CD version. The first time it plays the tune, it’s the same. But the second and third times are each different variations that have never been used again since to my knowledge.

 

 

They're included in the ultimate talkie version, because that one uses a low-effort MIDI recreation that some LucasArts music site made 20+ years ago. 😉

Edited by Serge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the CD version also had extended/varied circus music, and I think possibly ghost ship shuffle, too? And maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I think it had an extended version of the map music and the sneaking around music too.

 

I was always sort of ambivalent about the variations, but it was the main version of the game I had access to in my teens so I became very used to hearing them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Thrik said:

 

But now listen to the CD version. The first time it plays the tune, it’s the same. But the second and third times are each different variations that have never been used again since to my knowledge.

 

 

 

Nice spot, but it sounds terrible to me. Like someone trying to riff who can't riff. Boy, I really hate the CD version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Yeah, the CD version also had extended/varied circus music, and I think possibly ghost ship shuffle, too? And maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I think it had an extended version of the map music and the sneaking around music too.

 

I was always sort of ambivalent about the variations, but it was the main version of the game I had access to in my teens so I became very used to hearing them.

 

Yes, you're right. They noodled around in the circus music too. I wonder who was responsible for all this stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

While reading through some 12-year-old thread about the Ultimate Talkie for Monkey Island 2, I noticed an observation made about the PC Speaker soundtrack for MI2 being different in some ways.

 


The major divergences I can hear are that the slow LeChuck’s Fortress music used during the cutscenes has been replaced with a much faster take on the LeChuck theme (more like MI1 and briefly the MI2 credits), and the ending medley uses different songs.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Pretty cool to hear the Bones song after that ending. A little bit chilling, as it's a call back to your parents helping you on your quest... but in the final moments of the game, they are so distant.

 

Oh, and wow, the score when Largo steals the beard and announces LeChucks return, is surprisingly good! (See 08:44)

Edited by Marius
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Marius said:

Pretty cool to hear the Bones song after that ending. A little bit chilling, as it's a call back to your parents helping you on your quest... but in the final moments of the game, they are so distant.

 

Oh, and wow, the score when Largo steals the beard and announces LeChucks return, is surprisingly good! (See 08:44)


Yeah it’s a nice take! Although I have to say, for me it can’t beat the absolute chef’s kiss that is mostly just hearing slow, churning versions of the LeChuck theme throughout most of the game, aside from a truncated version after the bone dance, and then it ends with this (Sadly still a little truncated!):

 

 

  • Chef's Kiss 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Jake said:

Seems like it was extra content added on by whoever did the CD arrangements (presumably the same person who wrote the Stan’s track?)

Were they actually added, or was it something that couldn't fit on the originals?

 

I ask because:

1) People once told me that the MI2 CD version added Elaine's ending line hoping Guybrush wasn't under some terrible curse. But now, I hear people saying the line was in older versions but wouldn't show up because the screen-fading technology wasn't supported.

 

2) I've seen people play an EGA version of MI2 (apparently not a different product, but an option for running the game), and it doesn't even include every musical track.

 

Edited by BaronGrackle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

1) People once told me that the MI2 CD version added Elaine's ending line hoping Guybrush wasn't under some terrible curse. But now, I hear people saying the line was in older versions but wouldn't show up because the screen-fading technology wasn't supported.

 

Half-remembered nonsense. There is no "MI2 CD" version for one thing, secondly it was only the Amiga version that faded before the line was seen. The line was always there, just nobody noticed the bug... which inadvertently led to a generation of European gamers to be convinced there was no other explanation to the ending.

 

Read more here:

 

 

13 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Were they actually added, or was it something that couldn't fit on the originals?

 

It was actually added (by a totally different composer -- who also remixed the music tracks so they looped less frequently). It was added... along with many bugs (that ScummVM now fixes).

 

13 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

2) I've seen people play an EGA version of MI2 (apparently not a different product, but an option for running the game), and it doesn't even include every musical track.

 

Yes, slight variations to the music, as mentioned a few posts above yours:

 

 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

 

Half-remembered nonsense. There is no "MI2 CD" version for one thing, secondly it was only the Amiga version that faded before the line was seen. The line was always there, just nobody noticed the bug... which inadvertently led to a generation of European gamers to be convinced there was no other explanation to the ending.

 

Read more here:

 

 

 

It was actually added (by a totally different composer -- who also remixed the music tracks so they looped less frequently). It was added... along with many bugs (that ScummVM now fixes).

 

 

Yes, slight variations to the music, as mentioned a few posts above yours:

 

 


Yes, by "CD version" I'm referring to the Monkey Island Madness CD which was basically just the disk version, as I understand things. I know it removed the option to play Lite Mode in the process of removing copy protection.

 

I had not realized the cut text was unique to the amiga but had thought it was specific to all the original releases. I see, now.

 

EDIT: It's funny that EGA MI2 version doesn't include certain songs like Campfire or Woodtick, but it's understandable.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

Yes, by "CD version" I'm referring to the Monkey Island Madness CD which was basically just the disk version, as I understand things.

 

Yes, it's true they removed copy protection... although I can't remember if they removed Lite mode? Is that true? I have my The Monkey Island Bounty Pack CD somewhere. I presume it's the same version included on that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The MI2 CD version is just the floppy version with copy protection removed (which also removes lite mode since that and the copy protection screen is in the same "room") and with the ability to run it from CD while storing save games on the HDD. Unlike MI1, there are no separate EGA and VGA releases of MI2.

That video you posted up there just runs MI2 in EGA mode along with the PC speaker soundtrack, which lacks most of the music, but where the end credits medley is different. The Adlib and MT-32 soundtracks are both complete.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

Were they actually added, or was it something that couldn't fit on the originals?

As far as I know, they were added by the team that did the CD-ROM edition, which was shortly after the main game and VGA upres were done. The Stan theme and the extension of the main themes weren’t done by Land. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

 

Yes, it's true they removed copy protection... although I can't remember if they removed Lite mode? Is that true?

 

I'm almost certain the CD release removed Lite. I remember a while back wanting to revisit Lite mode and popping in the CD thanks to computers doing away with floppy drives and being shocked to find it wasn't available.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

 

I'm almost certain the CD release removed Lite. I remember a while back wanting to revisit Lite mode and popping in the CD thanks to computers doing away with floppy drives and being shocked to find it wasn't available.

You probably already know, but just in case you don't: running it on Scumm VM lets you play Lite Mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to repeat what I've been fixated on this year: haggling against Stan is so much more amazing than I ever knew while growing up.

 

If you're getting the Sea Monkey for 5000 with no extras, then you're letting Stan win. Get those Porthole Defoggers at least; you pay for them anyway! :D
 

Speedrun All Swag: Walk away twice, offer 2000, offer 5000 twice

 

Speedrun Don't Walk Away: Reject 5 extras (technically only the 4 after defoggers matter), offer 2000, offer 5000.

 

Best Value: 3000, porthole defoggers, another extra of your choice (get the elevator; it sounds expensive!)

 

Ultimate Talkie Edition: Get to hear Stan say his "two thousand LOUSY pieces of eight" line

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-secret-of-monkey-island-saw-25-of-its-dialogue-cut-before-release
 

Interesting, didn’t know that!

 

But funny as at my last playthroughs I really enjoyed the dialogues in MI1 and 2 (snappy and always funny/interesting!) and on the other hand felt that many of the dialogues in CMI and EMI were too long and sometimes a bit boring. Found myself several times just skipping the lines…

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...