Home

(stupid?) idea for mojo main page

Trapezoid

I just had an idea... Right on the main page, there should a Message of the Moment, right near the top in plain sight. It could start out as something like "Welcome to Mixnmojo!"... Here's the niftyish part. After the page gets, oh say, 100 hits, a "change" button appears next to the message. Whoever clicks on the button can type in the new message, then submit it and the message updates and the change button disappears.

Yeah, it's silly, but it seems like the sort of interactive community type thing that makes Mojo fun. The message should have the name of the user who submitted it too. Probably wouldn't be too hard to program. And it could get a little competitive. :D

Anyone else like this idea?

Yeah, by making it only available to logged in membeers, you could help reduce "unwanted" posts. There may still be a few shady posts made though.

It is a pretty cool idea though. Mojo needs a few more fun things around the place.

I think it's a great idea. But maybe it would work better on the community page rather than the main one, to avoid it clogging stuff up? And how hard would it to be to make it block out pre-programmed words, like these forums do? And how about a maximum word amount, eh?

The maximum word amount could just be set by the box you type the message into. Simple.

Does the comments feature have a swear filter? If they do, the MotD would probably just be a specially modified comments thread.

Oh, and there should be an archive of all the messages. Also easy if it's just a comments thread.

I've got a couple of suggestions. Somehow we've got to buffer this so the same user can't keep posting over and over again. Maybe a once-a-day/week limit? I think it should either be set up to display a message for a set amount of time (so that it doesn't get overwritten immediately), or there should be multiple entries displayed randomly.

I like the faded grey text as it is in the concept though :).

The faded colour is good for anything inactive (like tabs, and no Mojo messages, etc.), but for anything else it gets a bit too difficult to notice. It took me a few seconds to see the added text and arrow up in the corner.

• 1 month later...

I made it light grey in the mockup like that because it will rarely have anything to do with Mojo... its just something you might notice not at first. I'd rather readers first notice the features and news before a wacky slogan that has nothing to do with anything...

• 1 month later...

Heh :)

Groovy.

It should only register one hit per day per registered user, really, otherwise the server would probably die again due to everyone pushing 'Refresh'

I love the 'Mojo makes it happen' attitude.

In fact, that's what I'm gonna change the comment to ;)

Archived