• Not great
    • Under Average
    • Medium
    • Just over Average
    • Good
    • Rich
    • VERY RICH

Below average.

While we have a select few things you'd consider only rich people to have (adsl 24/7 net-connection, 2 pc's etc) - fact is that rules out a lot of other stuff. Our economy is hanging on the edge at the moment.

But 2 of my friends have it far worse - no tv, no pc's, no car, small apartment (they're living as a family).

Hmmm, dont you know its poor taste to talk about how rich you are?;)

Nah I'm always skint, depends what earners i have on the go at any given time though.

My family though, thats another matter, the old man's owns a company that makes cold stores he's got 30 - 40 employees but he always pleads poverty, to be honest I have no idea what he's worth but I suspect he is ploughing most of his dosh into a pension so its hard to tell.

i think my family is pretty well off. well not incredibly well off but we can certainly afford to give to the united way instead of recieving it.

im the only child still living at home and my parents are putting the other three through university at the moment. my dad brings in over 100 000 a year *posted in my newspaper and i didnt hear the end of it for weeks from my idiot friends*. my mom makes decent money as a teacher... at my school *sigh*. problem is that my dads retiring soon and i havent started university yet (still gotta finish this year and then the next first).

we all have our own computers and we eat nice food but were not using money as toilet paper.

thinking of money reminds me of a quote thats always stuck with me *even though the origin of the quote is long lost*

they say that money is the route of all evil but they obviously havent met me.

• 3 months later...

I voted for good, but my family's wealth is much greater than my own. I'm just a poor college student that works for a living, with not much more than my computer. Still, I live much more comfortably than a lot of other people in the world, so I can't complain.

Pay2Spam Merc Hit # 2

I could really care less about all the tech stuff like computers and stuff, when talking about wealth, but apparently this is how you guys judge wealth. We have one computer with cable modem, 4 tvs, but i live in an apartment with my brother and mother. My mom has to work 2 jobs, my brother and I work, and my dad's a deadbeat. Both my brother and I each need a car, and we could each use some work on our teeth. Obviously, we're living pretty rough, but I'm not complaining. We're better off than a lot of people.

Hmmm.

I have a SW collection that spans from 1995-2003 and still getting them.

My sister goes to college at a Lutheran University (Concordia, hear of it?).

My other sister has insurance for 3 cars, grades slipping, one ticket for going 20 over limit.

I have 2 dogs (but they haven't had their shots in, ohhh, 3 years?).

We are probably upper-middle class really, my dad is a doctor, so most people automatically assume i'm rolling in dough, and we used to be fairly rich, but recently he's been having office troubles, he had an office manager embezzle 15,000 dollars and then when they found out about it she had declared bankruptcy and couldn't pay it back. Then my dad's partner was arrested for drug use while in the office which added more debt and problems......so now we're just above average.

(Plus my dad really likes to play the stock market....but he's REALLY bad at it....loses much monies that way)

Probably "Under Average" or "Not Great" money/income wise, but other than that I'm doing fine. I had to take a year off from University and get a job in order to earn enough money so that I can go back to University next year.:rolleyes: I have a decent, steady job, getting paid 6.50 an hour(which is not great, but it's work). And I am truly thankful to my employer, who gave me this job, as he took a big chance on hiring me.

My mother, makes a few thousand a year more than I do, which isn't saying a whole lot. In fact, we're both making just above the "Welfare" wage line. By that I mean, that we're getting just a bit more than people who are on welfare, while we're out working to earn it. I see people on "the pogey", with two cars, snowmobiles, ATV's, all kinds of stuff, while we've got nothing of the sort, which angers me somewhat... Both my mother and I could actually file for welfare, but we never do, I'd rather work for it(Note, I agree with social assitance programs. It's "welfare" that I don't like). I always feel a slight sting when I consider going on it... I guess that's just pride ****ing with me:D

I bought a new computer last year. My other computer before that was a 166, which served me faithfully for five years. I finally decided I needed a new one, and saved up some money. I also convinced my father to help me pay for it, so he chipped in half. I didn't ask for a birthday or Christmas present from him for 3 years, so he thought it was a good idea. This computer was bought with my own sweat and blood, my '89 Bonneville and the insurance I pay on it, paid for the same way, and my education will be as well. My '67 Camaro(which was bought cheap and fixed up by my father and I) was given to me as a gift by my father when I got my licence, and is probably the only true luxary I have. I get a sense of satisfaction smoking all those people on welfare with fast cars, in my hard fought Camaro. Thankfully it's an antique so the insurance is low.

I help my mother pay the bills, and as long as I'm living under her roof I will continue to do so. I'm costing her money now, but she raised me for free all my life, and I'm going to do my best to help now that I actually have a pretty good, steady income. I have three pools of money which my cheque gets split into. Money set aside for school, money set aside for Mom's bills and my own, and money set aside for myself. Want to guess which pool is the smallest?

Almost everything I own I paid for myself, which gives me a sense of satisfaction in a way. A lot of my friends say I'm "cheap" or "tight" with my money, but that's only because I work hard for it, so I'm not going to just throw it away. This is my future I'm toying with here, and I'm not going to burn it all away just so I can have a nicer car, or a DVD player, as I can't afford either. Sure I could spend my money on stuff like that, but my future is much more important to me.

As for actual living, I guess I couldn't ask for much more. I have a hot supper every night, a warm bed to sleep in, a computer, and a car, which is much more than a lot of people would kill to have. I don't have a lot of "toys" as I dont' really care much for them. Growing up somewhat "poor" was not terrible though, as if it taught me nothing else, I know the value of a dollar, and more over, I know the value of my own dollar. I worked all my life for my own money, whether it be chores around the house for allowance when I was little, or summer jobs. And at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think I'm a better person because of growing up somewhat poorly. I worked hard for what I have. I was not handed everything on a silver platter, more like on a TV dinner tray:D. But in the end, I'm reminded of something my father once told me, about how he grew up, somewhat the same as I.

"I very often didn't get everything I wanted, but I was never without anything I needed"

I'd say good but thats in comparison to my peers at uni and back home (innercity) so thats not really saying much. me poor uni student whose parents remoraged their house so that they could get me one (stops them having to send me money every month for rent) also incoming rent and increasing house prices mean that they'll get their money back. but I still have to have a job to afford to pay fees etc. both our houses are sort of falling apart at the mo though so all our money is going to fixing them. Middle class thats all and not high middle class either.

Well, my family was able to provide me with what i needed as a child under there roof and were excellent parents. They could not supply me with everything I wanted or needed, but they did what they could and I was able to provide for myself on lots of things. I worked hard and it helped me as a person understanding the value of things, which I learned most people don't.

I am currently independant but in a lot of det as I am finishing school but I will be working more once out of school this May and will be able to get out in a few years. It was my choice to go to school, but I am definitly proud to have done so and I think it has been worth every penny. I know my parents wish they could have provided me with more (lots of things like a car or college, ect), but they were just not able to. However, they did succeed in being a better parent than the ones they had. And for that I am very proud of them. Thanks mom and dad. I can only hope that I can do just as good a job as you did.

Archived