Home

Which SW film had the best special FX?

ondrahosek

Which episode had the best visual FX?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which episode had the best visual FX?

• (EP1) The Phantom Menace
    • (EP2) Attack of the Clones
    • (EP4) A New Hope
    • (EP5) The Empire Strikes Back
    • (EP6) Return of the Jedi
    • Every film with Yoda

What's great FX then? Is it the FX that has the most grandiose spectacular battles and environments.. or is it the FX that gives a movie 'the feel'.

Frankly, the last two movies have been nothing but cgi without any hint of soul or dedication. Stereotypes when they are at their worst.

Originally posted by Murdoch

What's great FX then? Is it the FX that has the most grandiose spectacular battles and environments.. or is it the FX that gives a movie 'the feel'.

Frankly, the last two movies have been nothing but cgi without any hint of soul or dedication. Stereotypes when they are at their worst.

That might be true, but they did have the best SFX.

Originally posted by Murdoch

Well the whole point of my question was 'what is good SFX?'

Imo you can't just look at the scenery. I think its mostly because of the FX that the acting sucked so much. Thus the effects have ruined the movie and can hardly be called good SFX.

Honestly, I find the action scenes in Ep1+2 much more believable and realistic - way better at sucking you into the universe.

No, ep1+2's action scenes didn't suck, they were delivered beautifully and were much better at presenting the universe in a convincable and fantastic way.

Compared to the prequels, the original trilogy practically didn't have any "action" scenes, IMHO.

Let's be nice here....

Well, I do have to say Ep. 2.

Despite how much it sucked, would anyone really say there were better graphics in ANH or ESB?

Originally posted by ET Warrior

It depends on if you're saying which one has the best special effects NOW, or which one has the best for the time. Because now a lot of movies have really awesome computer effects. But back when star wars first came out it revolutionized the field of special effects.

I'd say the animated Yoda is quite revolutionary too, with flowing robes et all.

The question is, can you make ep3 look even better than ep2? :confused: They've kinda reached the barrier, without going into full blown 3d virtual reality, IMO.

Originally posted by Cjais

I'd say the animated Yoda is quite revolutionary too, with flowing robes et all.

The question is, can you make ep3 look even better than ep2? :confused: They've kinda reached the barrier, without going into full blown 3d virtual reality, IMO.

You have a point...! Lets pray that they wont do that, I mean a completely CG Star Wars movie...! I couldnt imagaine that!!

-Clemme

You can't say that the FX have sucked the life out of Star Wars, because Star Wars has always and without exception used the most state of the art effects in the movie industry... which is basically what ET Warrior said :D

What it's always been about is George Lucas, pushing the envelope of effects so that he could tell the story that he wanted to tell, how he wanted to tell it. And as for acting... if you think that Hayden Christensen is any worse than Mark Hamill, then there's something wrong with you :eyeraise:

I think Lucas has reached the level where he can do just about anything with the effects ILM can manage. And the fact that so many people see CG where there was an actual, physical model is just testament to how far CGI technology has come. Episode II definately has the best effects of the bunch, so far... it's a progressive thing ;)

Jedi_Monk.jpg

I think all of the movies have had the best SFX at the time. It is hard to imagine how far they were able to take CGI from the cutting edge stuff in TPM, to what can be done now......

They invented GO-motion in TESB.....

So, over time they have always led the way, just look at the LOTR:FOTR pre-viz animatics, used after Peter Jackson talked to Rick McCallum, and you will see how close to the real thing the animated pre-viz is.....

Archived