Home

Take That America!

Bob Gnarly

Originally posted by Cjais

Ahem.... <Clears throat loudly>

A-HEM!.... :D

Of course, I know where it belongs to, after all, it was us Norwegians who discovered Greenland in the first place! :)

No, the question was meant for our little American friends here;) .

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
you see. On the internet, you don't have to use proper english. That is why I used no instead of Know, and gotta instead of got to. It is faster.

Hey! Im frm Singapore!! Nice things you say abt my country! And yes, we do have a clean green environment and low crime rates . Thats because fines are high and crimes are harshly punishable. Most ppl think Singapore is in China. That is so not true. Sure, Chinese is the majority race here but we have a healthy mix of Malays and Indians.

I feel like singing my national anthem...:bounce1:

As well you should, xrkun.

20/20, my score was. I was shocked to find that the scores of this test were so low from the various countries, but I was equally shocked when I came to this thread and found this...indecency, if you will. I mean, why single Americans out? Look at the title of the thread. It has the word America in it. All in good fun, I know, but if you guys make fun of your country, too, then how come its not happening? America has enough problems getting themselves in order and helping everybody else out, why enflame the problem by constantly making fun of them? Because they have stepped up to the challenge of helping those who cannot help themselves, they have become subject to ridicule. And basing the country's education on a test result? What is that? The country is not full of hillbillies, you know. And yes, it is true, sometimes it is fun to screw around with the test and answer them all wrong. Looking at the test results, particualy Americans like to do that.

But they were not the lowest all the time. They were many times that the lowest was Mexico, or England, or others. I dont see them getting any harrasment.

Just be cool. That's all I'm asking.

X R Kun: Isn't Singapore more or less just one, big city? :confused:

Because they have stepped up to the challenge of helping those who cannot help themselves, they have become subject to ridicule. And basing the country's education on a test result? What is that? The country is not full of hillbillies, you know. And yes, it is true, sometimes it is fun to screw around with the test and answer them all wrong. Looking at the test results, particualy Americans like to do that.

Now, I'm not anti-American, but it's when they something like this that makes react. It is not just USA who "helps those who cannot help themselves" - USA apparently prefers the violent way of doing this, but tons of EU countries pay billions in foreign aid.

I don't think Americans in particular would screw with the test results, any more than the Swedes would.

Note: This is the brother of the person who own's this Account.

I got 19/20

As an American citizen I am seriously offended by this.:mad: All you people coming out to bash the people of the US are proving yourself to be more nothing more than childish individuals who cry and complain when you do not get your way.

Yes there is an education problem, but to come out and say "hahaha, stupid Americans" is something 3 year olds do, instead of actually addressing the problem like a mature individual. Also its written AMERICA not AMERIKA, for those who are making the mistake.

I have noticed that a new trend has emerged where it is now "fashionable" and "cool" to bash the United States for going after its own interest as if that's not the actions and goals of every other country in the entire world. Show me one country on the face of the world where they do not look after their own interest?

Lastly, who the hell gave you the right to judge us? Well? Did somebody come down and bless you and say "You are now the moral standard, look down on everybody else." I don't think you have the right to act like an ass and say offensive things, because that's something I wouldn't do out of RESPECT for other people.

:mad:

Originally posted by ßoss

Only 89% americans can find america

while 95% canadians find america

and only 60% americans can find canada and only 1/10th of americans know where iraq is and yet you wanna start a war :rolleyes:

makes ya wonder......

you know its funney. i havent met one american on here NOT ONE who makes fun of other peoples countrys not even i do it and im probley the bigest american ego in this forum. other countrys say we have big egos and that we give other people "the finger" but mabey they should look at the facts first. i dont know about you people but im sick of all the senceless america bashing and do you even know why "we want to start a war with iraq...because they want to wipe america from the face of the earth

Originally posted by TheHobGoblin

I got 19/20

As an American citizen I am seriously offended by this.:mad: All you people coming out to bash the people of the US are proving yourself to be more nothing more than childish individuals who cry and complain when you do not get your way.

Yes there is an education problem, but to come out and say "hahaha, stupid Americans" is something 3 year olds do, instead of actually addressing the problem like a mature individual. Also its written AMERICA not AMERIKA, for those who are making the mistake.

I have noticed that a new trend has emerged where it is now "fashionable" and "cool" to bash the United States for going after its own interest as if that's not the actions and goals of every other country in the entire world. Show me one country on the face of the world where they do not look after their own interest?

Lastly, who the hell gave you the right to judge us? Well? Did somebody come down and bless you and say "You are now the moral standard, look down on everybody else." I don't think you have the right to act like an ass and say offensive things, because that's something I wouldn't do out of RESPECT for other people.

amen. you do know what your talking about

Hey! Reinforcements! :D

Your right dragon, theres a page or a page and a half of Europeans and the like trashing americans, and half a page of the americans defending. Defending being the operative word. I could babble on and on making fun of Europe, but I will refrain, cuz I guess im just not that kind of guy. :D

ok ok I will admit one thing: yes, the american public schools are in shambles. But thats why I'm in private :cool:

Originally posted by TheHobGoblin

I got 19/20

I see that there is a lot of people here who does not like it when their country is being criticized. But I want you to remember that criticizing is a very good thing, it is the only way to make things better. And from the test, you see that the US schools could defidently be better on geography. It is very important for everyone to see their own faults and mistakes, so that they can be prevented. Self-criticizing is a good thing, wich a lot of the people here unfortunatly does not do. It is the same with self-irony. Also, there is few Europeans here who would be very upset if you made a little fun of Europe, I for one would not care.

I think that the website is a bit skewed...and if you read the long download of the actual results. Here are some interesting things about why the other countries did better.

It wouldn't copy paste so I'll sum it up

International travel and language skills

countries who preformed wel like sweden, germany and italy have a high thing of travel and multilingual abilities. Foreign travel is the norm in many countries, particularly Europe, where countries are smaller and closer tgether and where vacation time is considerably longer for most people than US. In sweeden 89% speak more than one language, US 36% reported speeking more than 2 languages. 92% of sweedes have traveled outside their home country in the past 3 yrs while only 21% of US reported traveling outside country in past three years.

Also in the sample they interviewed WAY more Americans than any other county. For example USA is said to have sampled 495 people ages 18-24 and then another samle of 25-34 ages for another 334 people sampled. Sweden had only 300 in the 18-24 age range Which is about the average of all the other countries...around 300. Why did they interview more americans...?

Originally posted by whitedragon

why "we want to start a war with iraq...because they want to wipe america from the face of the earth

No. Prove it.

I could babble on and on making fun of Europe, but I will refrain, cuz I guess im just not that kind of guy.

Nononono. I want you to do it actually. I'm very interested in hearing American's prejudices and views of Europe. Seriously.

I once made a thread for you Americans, where the topic was to make fun of Europe. But it degenerated into Eureopeans bashing the EU. And every American that did visit the thread only complimented Europe and the EU.

No more of that. Bring it.

Nononono. I want you to do it actually. I'm very interested in hearing American's prejudices and views of Europe. Seriously.

Bring it.

My thoughts exactly! Bring it. :)

Anyone who has seen "The Jukka Brothers"-commercials on MTV should be able to make fun of Finns. I have no trouble making fun of Swedes or Norwegians. Danes are a bit trickier, their language is pretty funny, but otherwise I got nothing on them. Damn.. :(

:D

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Anyone who has seen "The Jukka Brothers"-commercials on MTV should be able to make fun of Finns. I have no trouble making fun of Swedes or Norwegians. Danes are a bit trickier, their language is pretty funny, but otherwise I got nothing on them. Damn.. :(

:D

LMFAO!! Jukka brothers! Yay - I remember them!!

I've got a few "prejudices" against Finns:

1) They have this game, called "Jorka" (can't remember the name exactly). It goes like this: Some people sit in a completely dark room. One of them has a knife. He throws the knife and then another dude picks it up and throws it again. The last dude to leave the room is teh winnar. That's ermm... supposed to be a finnish past time activity.... blame my dad for telling me this.

2) Finns are boring, silent people who like to hang out in their saunas all day long, drinking and rolling outside in the snow or doing something equally weird.

Bottom line: Finns are quiet loonies who are fond of knives and saunas... :D

Don't shoot me! Please don't hurt me!!!

Ah man this thread was made with me in mind....

well americans, individually they usually come across as good folk, however the collective use of the word americans makes my hair stand on end for the following reasons:-

money obsessed

self indulgent

arrogant

ignorant

megalomaniacal

obese

tacky/tasteless

bad clothes

ok well i dont give a flying funk if this offends, these are merely a few words that let you know how the outside world views america.

Right i've met a few americans and the ones i've met have been cool(ish) however what you have to bear in mind is that stereotypes are formed from the information that we recieve, usually via newspapers and tv. This is brainwashing or propoganda as you like, and its not easy to break away from years of this brainwashing.

For example lets take two shows from the states that typify the american stereotype:- Married with children & Jerry Springer's show.

well, married with children is allegedly a comedy show but i have to ask myself the question, "American folk like this?"

Jerry Springer:- lol. if these people are real that are on this show then america is in a very bad state indeed.

well if you are american and have been offended by this post, i suggest you really do need to read it again. ;)

If you are not offended by this then you are breaking free from the american stereotype, you catch my drift...

1) They have this game, called "Jorka" (can't remember the name exactly). It goes like this: Some people sit in a completely dark room. One of them has a knife. He throws the knife and then another dude picks it up and throws it again. The last dude to leave the room is teh winnar. That's ermm... supposed to be a finnish past time activity.... blame my dad for telling me this.

2) Finns are boring, silent people who like to hang out in their saunas all day long, drinking and rolling outside in the snow or doing something equally weird.

Bottom line: Finns are quiet loonies who are fond of knives and saunas... :D

Don't shoot me! Please don't hurt me!!!

AAAAAHHHH! j00 BASTARD!! Now you've done it!! You'd better start running and FAST!!! :swear:

Umm..anyway, let's see:

1) I've never heard the word "Jorka". It's definetly not finnish. But I assume it sounds finnish to foreigners. :confused:

But the game sounds like something that normal finnish men might come up with when drinking, though.. We have plenty of lunatics. :D

2) True. Very true. But instead of "boring" I'd prefer to call us "antisocial". :D

We're people who've never heard of "small talk" and when we drink...we DRINK. We open a bottle of KOSKENKORVA and toss the cap away. I'd advice not to approach a drunken finn. Remember: we like knives, not chitchat.

I guess the stereotype of a finnish male is a big, smelly, hairy ogre who communicates with short grunts...a bottle of firewater in one hand and an axe in the other. The knife is usually kept in the knife sheath (on the hip) where it's easily accessible. :)

About the saunas: we heat 'em up good. (Unlike the Swedes who seem to enjoy a ~40-degree temperature.) That is why we like to roll naked in the snow....you know, to put out the flames.. :D

Funny story I heard about a sauna in Germany (or Switzerland?):

You were not allowed to throw water on the sauna stove yourself. Instead you wait for some Creepy Old Naked Guy who comes in and throws some water.

Then he starts swinging a towel (and his personal parts in the process!!!) in the air (think "helicopter", or better yet: "double-helicopter"!!!) making the air move and thus the temperature seem higher. But that's not all -->

Then the Old Creepy Naked Guy comes right infront of you and starts flapping the towel (and the other thingie!) in your face. When he is done, he bows to everyone and they give him a courteous applause.

LOL! That's just sooooooo weird.... :D

Originally posted by Jah Warrior

well, married with children is allegedly a comedy show but i have to ask myself the question, "American folk like this?"

Jerry Springer:- lol. if these people are real that are on this show then america is in a very bad state indeed.

WTF?! Married with children is the best show ever! Well, at least it was for the first 5 years anyways. I still have some of the early shows on tape. Hehehehe...I wish I could be as cool as Al. He is my hero :)

Springer is horrible though. I can't believe anyone can watch that crap. "3 legged midget lesbians kickin' their 'Dog' to the curb!"

What a load of BS.

"Hi everyone, I decided it would be best that me and my loving husband would clear things out; that's why I wanted to get on Springer to tell him (and all 200.000.000 people watching) that I've been cheating on him with his brother, best friend AND gerbil and that I'm leaving him and taking the kids. Boy will he be surprised! But I still love him so much!" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Luc Solar

I guess the stereotype of a finnish male is a big, smelly, hairy ogre who communicates with short grunts...a bottle of firewater in one hand and an axe in the other. The knife is usually kept in the knife sheath (on the hip) where it's easily accessible. :)

Here's the stereotypical Dane from my eyes:

A slightly overweight guy (he has what we call a "Carlsberg muscle"...), a beer and a ciggie in one hand, and some disgusting, greasy fast food, like hot dog or burger, in the other. This guy likes to small talk a lot, but when it comes to discussing something seriously, he always thinks he knows best.

They like to think of themselves as very calm and mildly tempered individuals too :rolleyes:

About the saunas: we heat 'em up good. (Unlike the Swedes who seem to enjoy a ~40-degree temperature.) That is why we like to roll naked in the snow....you know, to put out the flames.. :D

A friend told me that any sauna where you can sit and read a book without the glue disolving is called a "Swedish sauna" in Finland :D

A friend told me that any sauna where you can sit and read a book without the glue disolving is called a "Swedish sauna" in Finland :D

Yeah, reading a book in a sauna...I do that a lot. :rolleyes:

I also enjoy playing monopoly while waterskiing and...ah hell, I'm sure you get my point. :)

Seriously; anyone who even considers reading a book in a sauna has obviously never been in one...a real one, that is.

PS. "Carlsberg Muscle" LOL! Good one. :thumbsup:

Archived