Home

Do games just seem too easy now??

TheWhiteRaider

IMHO this is partly true. Yes, there are games that game developers waste their entire time on graphics and forget to include a story, length, or a challenge to the game itself. But thee are also a few magical games that have that edge to them that heven't been seen before that add a new depth to games and challenge. One game that I would find too short would be LOTR: TTT for X-Box. It was a great game. Great characters, story line, detail, and physics. But the game itself was too damn short.

A game that I personally like and I have been playing for quite some time is Splinter Cell. Great story, graphics, the length of the game is perfect imho, characters, and physics. I think this game will become something in the near future. I also think Halo was quite good.

I do see what you are getting at WhiteRaider, there are alot of games out there that are very short and hugely disappointing but there are also a few special games that keep the video game industry going in the new age that satisfy gamers everywhere.:)

I think so. I remember the Nintendo and the Genisis games were hard as hell. Some of them I never even beat but I got very far. Now a days I have beaten every game that I have bought. I guess with the new technology it makes some games easier. Like before there were no FPS but there was only a 2D shot were all you could do was move forward and shoot, duck, and jump. Now a days you can do much more and it just has made game more easier. Devolper's just can't spend so much time with making one game now. They have many projects and they just put them out and don't take all that time that they would have to make it a harder game.

:duel::lsduel:

Maybe raise the difficulty level on the games you rent? That does wonders, I've found. There's nothing like beating a game on the hardest difficulty.

Also, I give myself challenges. Back when I played Duke3D, I would challenge myself to beat the entire first episode using only the pistol and the shotgun (pipebombs where required to advance). I did it once, but it gave me a hell of a challenge...

Which Turok are you talking about?

I bought the Guide when I bought Turok 2 :Seeds of Evil cause I just knew that I was not going to beat the game by myself. I didn't really cheat. I just played it and when I got stuck I would use it. But after I got the cheat that gave you all the cheats it ruined the game for me. I still haven't beaten the game without anything. I always have to just use a cheat ot two.

I think that it is another thing that makes games easier. With the net now all you have to do is go to a cheat site and get them. Before back in 92 there were not that many guides but now a days they are everywhere and I think that is why games are easier now because we have cheats.

:lsduel::duel:

It really depends on what you play. Most games I play are possible to play forever and still rock, like Dynasty Warriors 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Animal Crossing and Dynasty Tactics. Mortal Kombat 5 gave me a good challenge to finish and to open up all the secrets.

Games aren't as 'hard' now, but most developers used challenge and limited continues as a means to lengthen what was really a short, one hour game. Now that games can become 20 hours+ without much effort, what's the point? There's enough challenge to keep it from becoming boring, and that's all that matters. As long as you don't just fly through the game and you know, actually enjoy it, it's a lot better. If you beat Turok on hard in four days, chances are you didn't actually enjoy it.

If you're using cheat codes, you suck. Seriously. You're ruining the game for yourself. Sometimes 'fun' cheats are fun, I'll admit, but cheats that beat the game for you just ruin the whole experience.

I think games are easier to beat nowadays - or we are just getting older and better at beating them. I remember back in the day when Mario Brothers came out - the frustration of getting the guy to jump where you want him - the dely in the controller etc...the soar thumbs. It was rough back then! Now we complain about... how big the controller is...whether it is comfortable or not - when back in the day - there was like 1 controller and that's it. Then they came out with a couple joysticks and a glove. Whoopee. NE ways. i think it sucks some games are like $50 bucks and you can beat them within a couple hours of gameplay. Then there are games like Grand Turismo 3 that costs you $20 bucks and takes forever to beat. It all depends. I try not to use cheats or walkthrus (although sometimes you get stuck) in order to make the games last longer. Remember back in the day when there wasn't a such thing as a "STRATEGY GUIDE" and your best friend knew how to get past the level...but they would never tell you!! Maybe that's why they seemed to last longer.!

A lot of people I know play games through on easy, I can never see the point of this. I always find a game the most fun when I don't know what's gonna happen next, and once I've beat a game I don't tend to play it through on SP again, so I normally play through on Hard from the start. JK2 took me a few weeks on Hard, I know some people who played it on easy and beat it in a few days...can't see the point :)

I think one big change in games now is the big explosion in MP online gaming. Although you can beat games like JK2, RTCW or MOH within a few weeks max, you can play them online for years after. I think a lot of developers put a good deal of the development time into the MP side of the game (although possibly not in the case of JK2....) and so the SP side maybe suffers a bit in terms of length.

In the past lets not forget some games were made harder to beat by making them...impossibe to beat. Like some of the megaman games....they just put in a nigh impossible jump nmear the end and you'd never complete it :mad: Or the last level of Mario where you could run forever and you realised you were going in circles. Or in....(sound fades)

Originally posted by TheWhiteRaider

It looks like alot of games are either too easy or too short. And that alot of game maker seem to make games that someone renting it can beat it in five days.

Is it me or is it true?

play The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

for N64

Thats a hard game. but you are right most games are to easy and short. i dont mind easy but 25 levels is too short. i beat JKII pretty fast.

The good thing about jk2 was it actually had some length 20 hours on average on normal skill (jedi knight).

Worms you will spend years playing :)... GTA3, Black and white, Champion ship manager and that's to name just a few.

It just depends on the games really.

Games like max payne and renegade takes about 5 hours. But the long games you usually play are actually usually good.

It's got something to do with technology.

Back in the day, it took ten minutes to design a mario level. Now, it takes 1 year to make or modify the graphics engine alone, and it can take up to a week to create a really good map with perfect lighting and weapon placement. Not to mention that some games today have emphasis on storylines, as well as beautifully rendered video clips.

Go back to space invaders if you want longer games. The rest of us are just going to have to wait 4 years for Duke Nukem Forever, and even though it won't be any longer than the average FPS, by gawd it will be good. Hella good. It damn well better be ;)

Archived