Home

How do you deal with stress?

Dark Warrior

Originally posted by Katarn07

Violent video games? Isn't that how incidents like Colombine start, or not?

I don't know and don't care. Just cause I shoot someone on a video game does not mean I'm gonna pick up a 9mm and go shoot some random person. The whole purpose of finding ways to deal with stress is so that doesn't happen. And some people deal with it by shooting computer-animated people.

Something else that works for me: archery. You don't even have to imagine things (as some people do) I just find it relaxing. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I drink 1 or 2 cans of code red, then i blast some hardcore techno or one winged angel from FFVII or some hard rock. Then I either load up a good shooter game and scream as loudly as possible at the enemies while i'm shooting w/the music turned up loud enough to kill any stressful thoughts, or just take off running down the street, do some physical activity like rollerblading or just seeing how far you can walk/run in a certain time limit, or even go outside w/a baseball bat and a bunch of golf balls and see if you can't get a hole-in-the-window. :D

sometimes when i get depressed, i just go to http://www.bible.com and type in random stuff in the keyword thing and look at the verses that have those words, but that's not for everyone. hehe

usually just drowning out my thoughts w/music after a 30 minute hot shower helps ease the stress. Try doing different things, like going into an irc chat or just pick out a person on your buddy list and fire up a conversation! or you could just have a good cry, sometimes that's what i do, it helps but it also gives me a friggen headache.

there's many, many, many, many ways to get rid of stress. #1 is to not take everything personally, which is sometimes hard.

me, I can't keep it inside of me, it adds mroe stress.

I do or don't the following things:

1) listen to music (Rob D-Clubbed to Death)

2) talkig to friends doesn't help me, all that stress just stays up inside of me.

3) i would never do drugs, it's not cool. I risk damaging my health. Plus, i'm not a hippy. lol.

4) I turn to religion, yes.

5) I Play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Take taht you friggin' Nazis.

6) Just walk it off, works for me.

I usually just take a break from it all and play a computer game. Good way of venting your anger and proving your superiority in a computer game that you are good at. Plus you don't (really) hurt anyone.

DW, you know you can always turn to us Swampies for help. Whenever things seem down, just come here and discuss it with us. We'll always be here to listen (except for a few). Anyways just try to cheer up and work hard to prove you can be whatever you want to be in life.

Quake 3...

Dead or Alive 2...

Anything that involves causing someone else virtual pain.

MP better still.

Fury and frustration unleashed, but no-one injured in the process (excpet when playing Perfect Dark against my friends - they always hit me when I kill them! Something about sniping heads shots with an AR33 from across the other side of the map being unfair.... hehehe :D )

I usually try to avoid getting to a situation where I need to physically release the stress, but trying to disengage the brain, by listening to music and reading a book does it for me. Settles me right down. In essence, if I can disengage my brain for a while, stop it chugging over on all the little things that are getting to me, it soon all goes away.

A councilor is a good idea, I would also recomend going to a Dr as that way if you get really bad they can put you on the correct medication (helps to prevent you from turning to drugs).

letting it out on inanimate objects is good to, or you can go somewhere and really scream.

Somewhere quiet to think is also good (be that church or a park)

Just cause your not doing well at school doesn't make you stupid not doing as well as you can is what does that.

Good luck

If you want any more indepth advice pm me (I'm a medical student and will look stuff up for you if needed)

Originally posted by Ratmjedi

Some people say why do you pray and trust someone that you don't even know exist's. I always like to look at the story of the girl who was asked why she believes in God when she can not see him. Then she responds and says to the teacher " How do we know that you have a brain if we can't see it?"

Errm.... That analogy is a bit flawed since it's quite possible to see our brain. It's also quite possible to test and witness the effects of atoms, even though they're absolutely invisible to the naked eye.

God, however, cannot be tested or witnessed. Which makes believing in him nothing more than living in a fantasy world or trusting in an invisible friend that hides under your bed.

But really, I'm thinking he'll help if you believe in him. Beliefs of all kinds reassures people, and I won't deny them that. Go ahead and believe in Jesus if it makes you feel better, for I really do I believe he will.

Pardon me for going off a tangent here, but I'm a bit worked up right now.

Playing a good brainless game is always good to take some anger off, get your mind off things for a bit and break off for a while. Doing something physical is good too, like shooting some hoops if you want to be alone, or playing some pick up of what ever sport you like if you can tolerate some people. If you have a good trusted buddy that you can turn to, you can vent to him/her a little bit too. Maybe they can add a little personal advise or just hang with ya to lift you up some.

i bottle it up, it ain't good, and in a stressful period you can see it, i'm easely irritated, and i always get dandruff.

when i'm that way, i either do nothing or go shoot something on my computer. or i lock myself in my room, sit in a corner and listen to music.

i feel really sorry for you dark warrior. i know this will sounds awefully easy thinking, but try to make new friends

Originally posted by SmartDragon

or you can go somewhere and really scream.

That's it! I knew I had someway else to relieve stress. It's also the method that works best for me. 'Cause it's sort of echoy around my place I usually do it while swimming. Just dive, scream, and feel the tension melting away. Works damn good too.

Well, I am back. I was planning to leave the swamp and well....let's forget about that;)

THANKYOU so much for the overwhelming support guys. I really appreciate it. My depression is still building up but I know I can beat it, thanks to you guys. I salute you all.:)

I read all of your posts and most of them spoke to me personally. Obi, Ratmjedi, and the others who posted about God, I am a christian, I believe in God, I go to church regulary, I read my bible and I pray.

However, I have struggled in my faith and ultimately I have ended up here: As a depressed teen trying to find a purpose on this Earth.

The deal with my parents is they won't talk to me, I am automatically wrong in whatever I say. I have to AGREE with them all the time. My Dad yells at my friends which has led to my friends not coming to my house anymore. This has not improved.

My Dad and I used to have a strong relationship together but his temper has drifted us apart.

My depression has turned serious, I have visited guidance counsellor's at school, I have prayed to God, and I have talked to friends. Nothing seems to help and I am starting not to care anymore.

However, thanks to your support and a few close friends, I have started to find my way through what seemed to be an endless dark tunnel. I still struggle and am still depressed but I think I am starting to get better. This is hard to say but I was very close to doing drugs with my friends yesterday, that was how low I was feeling. But I overcame this and feel much better today.

Thankyou Swampies, you guys and gals are true friends (even if it is only over the internet). You have made me feel better about myself and feel like living.:)

Originally posted by Dark Warrior

Well, I am back. I was planning to leave the swamp and well....let's forget about that;)

THANKYOU so much for the overwhelming support guys. I really appreciate it. My depression is still building up but I know I can beat it, thanks to you guys. I salute you all.:)

I read all of your posts and most of them spoke to me personally. Obi, Ratmjedi, and the others who posted about God, I am a christian, I believe in God, I go to church regulary, I read my bible and I pray.

However, I have struggled in my faith and ultimately I have ended up here: As a depressed teen trying to find a purpose on this Earth.

The deal with my parents is they won't talk to me, I am automatically wrong in whatever I say. I have to AGREE with them all the time. My Dad yells at my friends which has led to my friends not coming to my house anymore. This has not improved.

My Dad and I used to have a strong relationship together but his temper has drifted us apart.

My depression has turned serious, I have visited guidance counsellor's at school, I have prayed to God, and I have talked to friends. Nothing seems to help and I am starting not to care anymore.

However, thanks to your support and a few close friends, I have started to find my way through what seemed to be an endless dark tunnel. I still struggle and am still depressed but I think I am starting to get better. This is hard to say but I was very close to doing drugs with my friends yesterday, that was how low I was feeling. But I overcame this and feel much better today.

Thankyou Swampies, you guys and gals are true friends (even if it is only over the internet). You have made me feel better about myself and feel like living.:)

Good to see you back. We at the FTF were kinda worried after seeing this thread and you dissappering.

I've seen some stupid suggestions in this thread:

-Throwing a brick through a window? You'd have to replace it, and you'd be even more stressed cuz you'd have to pay for it.

-Beating Little People -- How dumb is this? You'd try to make yourself feel better by hurting others. Plus, little people need love too!

-Kicking a wall -- I don't really need to say anymore.

What you need is some YOU-time. Think of someone you're really attracted to when you're alone in the house some night, and masterbate. It takes your mind off of all of your troubles, and it brings you closer to your inner-self. Try it today!

Originally posted by ZePhyR

What you need is some YOU-time. Think of someone you're really attracted to when you're alone in the house some night, and masterbate. It takes your mind off of all of your troubles, and it brings you closer to your inner-self. Try it today!

All I have to say: :rolleyes:

You said there was some really stupid suggestions in this thread, but that one is the stupidest one of all.

I've seen some stupid suggestions in this thread:

-Throwing a brick through a window? You'd have to replace it, and you'd be even more stressed cuz you'd have to pay for it.

-Beating Little People -- How dumb is this? You'd try to make yourself feel better by hurting others. Plus, little people need love too!

-Kicking a wall -- I don't really need to say anymore.

Wow, that is the best suggestion I have seen in that thread.:rolleyes:

Well, today I feel much better (maybe because it is the weekend).

I still can't talk to my parents but I am feeling ok. I even got one of my "druggie" friends to seek help. I am still feling down but not nearly as much as I was.

Thanks for the support guys.:)

Archived