Home

New Indy game?

Udvarnoky

This is apparently a few days old, but take a look at this. It's about Star Wars crap but check out this part:

"In addition, LucasArts are also planning a new Indiana Jones game based on the fourth movie in the series, although this isn't likely to be released until 2006."

I know that they're still not sure if the Indiana Jones movie will even exist, but if they make a game based on the script, assuming the story's good, a game could possibly be decent.

Okay, who am I kidding. LucasArts is just gonna **** it up as another action game. But at least there's the possibly of something non-Star Wars in the company's future. Maybe by the time this game comes out I'll be slightly over Sam & Max 2 and may actually get excited about it.

Or not.

I don't know. I liked Emperor's Tomb. For all its flaws, I liked it. I still feel like I'm in the middle of an Indiana Jones movie when I play it. I think if Lucasarts and the Collective team up to make another Indiana Jones game, it could be the best Indiana Jones game better. If they'd just stop with the jumping puzzles, the timed puzzles, and timed jumping puzzles, it would be great. Also, if they would put in a decent vehicle chase level, that would be spectacular.

I liked it, too. I would even go so far to say that I liked it better than Last Crusade. I haven't played that lately, but I remember hating the castle where you had to either figure out the correct dialogue out of n paths or fight the Nazis in an action sequence. Boy, those where the good ol' days, huh? When adventures were adventures, not those friggin' hybrids they are today!

I'd like to see someone like Pandemic try their hand at Indy. Something where you're allowed to actually explore around in realtime to figure things out with more than one solution, instead of just getting guided through a series of rooms like Emperor's Tomb did would be really good... as long as they made it fun. ... :atat:

That said, what I'd really like is for Double Fine to do an Indiana Jones game using Nathan Stapley's Indy design from his DF Action Comic. I bet an Indy / Chewebacca team up game would do better than Bounty Hunter, Obi Wan, and Masters of Teras Kasi combined.

I'd always thought (well, not always, since playing KOTOR - my first RPG to be honest) that an RPG style game would suit the next Indiana Jones game much more than the last two Tomb Raider / FPS style outings.

In Infernal Machine & Emperor's Tomb Indy is a mass murderer. He must have slaughtered thousamds of Nazi's, Russians, Chinese, Arabs and undetermined thugs in those games. The Indy I know from the movies only kills when necessary, and isn't responsible for the bloodbath we see in the last 2 games.

IMHO Indy Jones games to date have NEVER captured the overall feel of the movies. The games have either been too action based & no wits, or too wits based with not enough action (though this was a limit of the technology at the time, I loved Last Crusade & Fate of Atlantis, and the brawling in Emperor's Tomb is excellent).

But imagine a Jones game using, for example, the KOTOR engine - you play as Indy, obviously. You get a huge story set in multiple exotic locations around the world, complete with side "quests", fights, adventure, intrigue, picking up companions (eg. Sallah, Willie, Marion, Short Round, Sophia, Henry) for your party depending on your quest & location etc.

Beats gaining +20 exp for Orc Hat stealing & the like, and beats block pushing & ledge jumping puzzles.

> but I can't see Indiana Jones as a RPG

To see it you have to blur the lines a little, not think of things as totally genre specific.

What I'm getting at is the adventuring & exploration & quests of an RPG, but I guess with more twitchy combat, as stats are a bit silly for a pre-existing character.

Archived