Who first got you into Star Wars?

urluckyday

Who got you hooked on Star Wars?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who got you hooked on Star Wars?

• A Friend
    • Parent(s)
    • Relative
    • I watched it by myself and loved it right away!

Ello' again!

Who first got you into Star Wars? I know that personally, my friend first showed me the movie over at his house, and I was hooked ever since I was 4.

Also, did any of you ever get someone else hooked on Star Wars? I got my other friend liking it after I showed him part of Episode 4.

It was back in 1995. I was at a memorial service for my grandfather. A bunch of my cousins (they are significantly older then me) were there, and we were all talking. Then they started a game where they would say a Star Wars quote, and the others would try to guess who said it. They were shocked to learn that I had never seen it. This is what first got me interested in watching it. So the very next day I'm going through Costco with my mom and I see the SW trilogy on sale (what are the odds that 12 years after the last SW movie, 2 years before the special edition, and the day after I got interested, SW would be on sale right in the front of the store?). I ask my mom to buy it, and with her being a SW fan as well, she did. I watched it right away, and loved it (despite the fact I think I was too young to really understand it). 2 years later, my interest started to fade a little (I didn't think less of SW, but just less about it), but luckily it was just in time for the Special Editions to come out. I've been completely hooked ever since.

I voted 'relative', but I guess there were a number of factors.

Well, back in the days when I was young - not too long ago actually :D

I dont know why, I think the adverts were out when they were selling the OT for the last time without the SE. My brother asked for it and he got one each day during (i think) the summer holidays for 3 days.

We watched them together early in the mornings.

*sighs at the memories of the good ol' days*

Although that's not when I got hooked. I liked the films but they were too confusing. A few years after I watch them again and :eek: I was hooked but my brother never got into it too much.

And I never looked back.

So I selected watched myself on the poll because that's when I got into it.

I have had an influence on my friend though. One friend likes it when I told him to watch it (but not as much as me - but enough for any normal person without an obsecion) and also one other claimes to like it but he's just doing it to annoy me (I think, it's hard to tell with him).

when i was about 3 my dad bought our first VHS player, and with it he got Star Wars (ANH), Jaws and Raiders of the lost ark . Of course being only 3 I didn’t really get it (I hid behind the sofa every time Darth Vader came on screen) but my brother, who’s older, loved it and watched it over and over again.

by the time ROTJ was released on VHS i was old enough to start really appreciating it and have been addicted ever since.

heh. old people like me like these nostalgioc threads

*puts on cardigan*

I first saw SW in 1980. It was on TV. I was nearly five years old and barely knew English. Yes. I thought it was awesome too. Over the subsequent 25 years, with all that comes and goes in life, strangely, SW has been a constant source of fun via books/games etc, and fave topic of discussion :)

I find the whole story of the hardships GL went through to get ANH made quite inspiring. He really was dedicated to his vision, as all great film-makers are, and it paid off for him in spectacular fashion :)

mtfbwya

I am a Star Trek and a Star Wars fan(is that an oxymoron?), and basically got into them the same way. Both have been around since, oh, before I was born. (born in 1983)

Anyway, I remember, as a youngster, watching Star Trek on TV. I think Star Trek is probably responible for my affinity of Science Fiction. I watched TNG as much as possible, but because Star Wars was not as readily available, I think I was about nine or ten before I first saw it. By that time, I was a hugh Sci Fi fan. I happened to catch Star Wars one day on USA, I think, and loved it. At that time, they often did the marathons where they played all three movies in a row. Somehow I manage to see ROTJ before ESB, hehehe. Oh well. I'v been a Star Wars fan ever since!!!

I suppose that I could say that Gene Roddenberry is responsible for getting me into Star Wars.:confused:

:cool:

What do you mean "got you into" wasn't every one of us born a fan :D :D

I got into it when my friend Matthew showed me the first movie on a Beta VCR tape. I don't think we watched anything else that sleepover. :) Of course being 8 we then had to go cut the broom handles off of our moms brooms and make our first lightsabers with electric tape hilts and all :D Aahh the good ole days :)

Ah yes...I remember it as if it were yesterday...

Back in 1993, when i was 5 years old. Star Wars was the name that struck us with awe - if you wanted to lie about a cool movie you had seen (but obviously hadnt) it was Jurassic Park, or Star Wars or the Terminator...Anyways i did watch it not long after, and i loved it, In fact i knew it only by the memories i had of it - a few people walking across the desert to a cantina and also this black guy being trapped in a plane and being shot out into space - but anyways when i was old enough to understand it (1996), i spent my pocket money on it every week ever since - and hey - whats changed? The fact that I now appreciate the scene with Liea in the metal bikini of course :D

I first got into Star Wars when my dad took me to see the special editions when they were released in theatres in 1997. One memorable moment was during A New Hope. The Death Star just annilhated Alderaan, and I asked my dad, "Did anybody get hurt?" (I was 6 at the time) My dad since then has always remembered that.

My parents took me and my sister to see ANH in 1997 in the theatre. I saw a commdrical for it on Nickelodeon, and thought it would be just an OK movie.

Boy, was I suprised. Then me and my sister started getting into the action figures and stuff, after we saw ROTJ.

I got into it when I was very young. I would say at about 6 years old, which was in either 1994 or 95, I cant remember. My mom gave my dad the original Star Wars Trilogy, the actual originals, the ones that hadnt been edited at all. He asked if I wanted to watch them, and at the time I loved space and wanted to be an astronaut, so I watched them. I instantly fell in love, after A New Hope I begged to watch the next one, then finally the last one. I then became obsessed. The next day I wanted all the toys and action figures. Looks like I started young lol.

Originally posted by Chase Windu

I was wondering if you, and maybe some of the other, older forumers could write what being a SW fan was link way back in the 80's. Possibly the 70's. You know, just to give us kids a sense of SW was like before we were born and during our infant'todler days.

interesting question to ask. I wouldnt have expected that from the forum Rambo :p

but I will tell you what it was like...

*takes out pipe*

When ANH premiered on TV in 1980 and with the release of ESB everyone had gone SW mad. Every kid I knew had a star wars toy. It just wasnt like nowdays where there's all sorts of things out there as far as toys go. Back then, it was just SW. No on ehad ever seen anything like it. The figurines were always sold out. The only one I had at first was a medical droid(not 21b, the other type) :p

I did have an a wing and an x-wing. They were made out of metal, and there was a button on the XW to make the wings pop open.

Most of the kids either at school or in the neighborhood used to play SW themed games for hours...

On weekends, we used to all be on bikes, playing a version of tag, where one team was "the goodies"(the rebels) and the other team were "the baddies"(the empire) I had a black bike, so I was pretty much in the Imp team most of the time :)

of course. ESB came and went and after a while, the craze died down. But some of us always held a deep fascination... I didnt have a beta or VHS back then so my only access to SW were some audiobook type thingies on casette, which were cool. I still have the one for ANH somewhere at my parents house....

by the time of 1984, things were heating up again. Everyone that had put their SW stuff away brought it all out as ROTJ came out.

Many schools went on field trips to see ROTJ on the opening week. This included my school as well. I was 8, almost 9 at the time and I remember ROTJ as utterly awesome. Since when had anyone ever seen anything like that on a screen before - Jabba, Speeder Bike Chases and a huge space and saber battle.... then to top it all off, Vader unmasked !! Sure, we were all 9 or so years old, but we gasped when Luke took that mask off, and we saw that face.. I remember thinking, "he didnt look as bad as I thought he would !!" at the end of the movie, alot of us cried... I have to admit I was teary, because we had heard that was going to be the lest SW movie ever !!

Even when ROTJ stopped playing in theaters, I always stayed linked to SW somehow. We eventually had a VCR so I had the movies on VHS, which I watched over and over again. Playing with toys was substituted by displaying them as momentos...my ROTJ Jedi Luke stayed on my desk at home well into my college years :)

in 1990, new SW books came out. I was freaked out, but loved them instantly....The Thrawn Trilogy of course :)

Then came the SEs...and I finally saw ESB and ANH in a theater :D

and then the news we had all heard rumours about... Since "Jurassic Park" George Lucas was saying more and more how technology has developed enough to enable him to think realistically about making new SW movies.. and then of course in 1995, production on TPM started...which set the ball rolling for the PT....taking us up right until present day, where in 3 weeks or so we get to see what is shaping up to be the most awesome SW movie of all time !!

yes, it is an exciting time for a this fanboy...25 years on !!

and, even when ROTS has stopped playing, we have the new TV and animated series to look forward to :)

mtfbwya

Archived