Home

first look at superman

Sivy

hm... I dunno what I think of that...

Very nice, but somehow sort of "off" for Superman. It definitely gives off a 'pretty boy' vibe - which isn't a bad thing, but Superman is not classically a 'pretty boy'.

Possibly what's throwing me off are the differences from the classical Superman... the red beng dull, and the actor being slender...

Is it just me, or does that outfit seem like it would work even better if the Superman "S" symbol was removed? (note this was a comment on the design, NOT the presence of the symbol... that's kinda the one thing on Superman's outfit you CANNOT EVER get rid of and still have him be Superman...XD)

Would have to see it in action to really judge it, though =)

Originally posted by Sabretooth

That suit and hairstyle look best on good old Clark Kent (uh, the old guy who used to be Superman). The new fellow looks like some wannabe teenager.

Rating: 5 1/2

Clark Kent... still is Superman...

>_>

Originally posted by IG-64

Clark Kent... still is Superman...

>_>

He's talking 'bout Christopher Reeves...

^_^

And I've never been a large Superman fan (except Smallville, that's a fairly cool show even though I need to see it more often) but that guy seems Supermanish enough.

Even though on a bad night I could see him as a metrosexual...

Originally posted by Curt-Man

wow, he looks so ghey, please let this be a joke. in that costume, one can only look good in a comic.

Yeah, I'd rather that in a comic book adaptation of a movie, they wouldn't try to make it...you know...comic book like.

The thing I dont like is that they've made the red of his outfit maroon, but they left the blue a light color. If they wanted darker they should've gone all the way, or left it traditional light colored superman style

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Dude is STILL wearing speedos man. WTF? :o

Im sure there were dudes in the costume design dept saying "pleez can me make a black latex costume with awesome sculpted muscles and huge nipples" However, Jerry Seinfeld had long ago paid off the producer to keep the old school jocks and tights :p

mtfbwya

Ugh, if this is the final costume, it's rubbish. What looks good in a comic does not look good in live action, they should have gone for realism rather than faithfulness. Batman begins is a good example of how a costume should be redesigned for the big screen.

And the actor's not right for the costume either. Christopher R. carried it off, but this fellow can not. Heck, even that Dean Cain bloke carried it off better than this fellow.

But god, maroon underpants over tights... WHY keep that? It's over half a century old, get a grip on the times!

I'm with Al.

First I'll say that the first superman movie is still one of my favorites, and Christopher Reeve did just about pull off the costume in it.

But AL (and others) are right that what works in comics doesn't always work in films.

What bugs me about commic book adaptions is when they dumb them down because "they are only a comic book" or when they totally miss the whole point of the comic.

Visual changes to suit the medium are less important to me.

There is a risk that every comic book movie follows the batman/x-men method and puts everyone in black leather/latex. Which i think would be a bad idea. But i also think that they do need to at least slightly update the look to suit the screen.

Every recent adaption of superman (not to mention spiderman) has had to come up with some sort of excuse for the costume ("my mum made it!", wrestling costume, etc..) which does imply something needs updating.

Cloaks are always a problem, as then rarely look as good hanging limply in real life as they do in comic book action.. unless they CGI them like in the spawn movie.

I do think thy should have darkened up the blue a bit. And maybe done the costume in a similar style to the spiderman one. I'm not quite sure what they did to the sidey one (expect Cgi it) but it somehow looked more metalic and 3d than most spandex costumes.

Not as extreme as this one, but maybe something between the two:

2411_400x600.jpg

"What would you prefer, yellow spandex?" - Cyclops

Archived