Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

That was one weird quest too...I had a good laugh when I saw the kittens running around during the "dog rain" and even more when I saw the Black Horse Courrier edition reporting the news :p

Btw, how am I supposed to use the "fingers of the mountain" spell? I understand it's a levelled spell but its costs for me is close to 3000K magicka :nut: My imperial PC has more like 1/10th of this...even with potions and enchantements I don't see how I could ever use this spell. Does a more magicka oriented race can get enough magicka to cast such spell?

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was one weird quest too...I had a good laugh when I saw the kittens running around during the "dog rain" :p

Btw, how am I supposed to use the "fingers of the mountain" spell? I understand it's a levelled spell but its costs for me is close to 3000K magicka :nut: My imperial PC has more like 1/10th of this...even with potions and enchantements I don't see how I could ever use this spell. Does a more magicka oriented race can get enough magicka to cast such spell?

Fun quest, but the reward was pretty worthless (hence why I used it for the main quest to give to MartinS). The Black Horse Courier had an issue about the event too (as well as the countess' nudist party). :)

As for the Finger, I suppose it depends on how high level you are when you get that spell. The Level 25+ variant (the one doing 210 Shock Damage in a 10 radius) requires huge amounts of Mana to cast. Even at Destruction skill 100 and with Intelligence 100+ I can only cast it occasionally since it fully depletes my Mana pool (710 Mana per cast). Takes a while to regenerate the full pool for another casting of it, even with high Willpower (though there are always potions...).

If your character doesn't have primary Magic focus you may want to get it earlier, since the lesser versions of it don't require anywhere near that much Mana or skill mastery level to use. They will do less damage and have a smaller, or no, blast radius, but at least they can be used more casually. :)

It's a Destruction spell, so a high Destruction skill will reduce the mana cost of casting it. Aside from that, get as high Intelligence as you can since it increases the size of your Mana pool. Get a natural 100 Intelligence, and then some equipment that fortifies it further.

There are no other negative side effect of doing this, then? I was just a bit afraid that pissing off a Daedra Prince might have unpleasant consequences. :)

I don't know. I'll have to finish the other deadric shrine quests first. I'll report back then.

Where are the quests you're referring to, they sound so ridiculous that I have to try them:D

What's the deal with that unicorn? It took me forever to figure out how get it chilled (my other pony uhh "disappeared"), but now that it's friendly it walks off every time I dismount, it doesn't seem to go to stables, and attacks me whenever

a. Something attacks it, if it survives it charges me,

b. It sees me attack something else,

c. I already have a horse.

What's the highest mana for an imperial? I think I only have like 140 maybe, at Lv 16, with intelligence in the 60's? Some spells don't seem like I'll ever be able to use them:(

Does being a magic heavy race give you a couple thousand mana boost or something?

Has anyone else done the painting investigation in Chorral? I've made it to the point where I find a painting in the west tower and suspicious painting implements in some lady's room. It just says I need to collect more evidence, and I can't seem to figure out what the next "trigger" is?

Here's an idea for you PC modders...

An underwater Argonian city in the bay outside Anvil. That would be sweet:)

Has anyone else done the painting investigation in Chorral? I've made it to the point where I find a painting in the west tower and suspicious painting implements in some lady's room. It just says I need to collect more evidence, and I can't seem to figure out what the next "trigger" is?

I don't remember everything, but i know that you have to search for the painting in the west tower. You are then given a choice: tell the truth to the countess or protect the lady who stole the painting (it turns out that she had her reasons for stealing it). I personally lied to the countess and protected the thief (i'm a member of the thieves guild after all :D). If you protect her, she will agree to make a painting for you, although you'll have to wait 3 weeks before u can get it.

I actually only have to wait one more day (game day that is) before i can pick it up. It better be worth it, because it was a really long wait, especially with my modified in-game time - 24 in-game hours is 6 real hours. I was kinda annoyed by the fact that 24 hours lasted more like 24 minutes. That's the first thing i "fixed" when i got the game. :)

Where are the quests you're referring to, they sound so ridiculous that I have to try them:D

Sanguine's shrine is in the forrest wilderness between Skingrad and Chorrol. It'll be marked on your map if you ask someone (who I can't remember) about Daedric Shrines. Try the alchemist merchant in Skingrad, she knows of some shrines.

Sheogorath's shrine is west of the main road between Bravil and Leyawiin, near the border to Elsewhere, northwest of Water's Edge. The land is so narrow at that part of the map it shouldn't be too hard to find if you keep an eye on the compass for the Shrine marker. I don't think anyone can tell you about this shrine. At least I had to stumble upon it myself.

What's the deal with that unicorn? It took me forever to figure out how get it chilled (my other pony uhh "disappeared"), but now that it's friendly it walks off every time I dismount, it doesn't seem to go to stables, and attacks me whenever Something attacks it, it sees me attack something else, I already have a horse.

The Unicorn is supposed to be hostile as standard (unless you have very high personality and keep your weapon sheathed, like with Spriggan, bears, boars and lions. Those only attack if you hold a weapon with high Pers.). It is part of the Daedric Shrine quest for Hircine where you are supposed to hunt it and present its horn to the Daedra Prince (and get a nice unique Light Armor for your trouble). Hircine's shrine is just north of the Unicorn grove.

(Since I didn't feel comfortable killing such a creature I quickly mounted it instead and let its own Guardian Minotaurs clobber it to death in their effort to hit me. Finding less direct ways of getting morally objectionable tasks done if half the fun of playing a "Chaotic Good" character. :) )

What's the highest mana for an imperial? I think I only have like 140 maybe, at Lv 16, with intelligence in the 60's? Some spells don't seem like I'll ever be able to use them:(

Does being a magic heavy race give you a couple thousand mana boost or something?

An Altmer (High Elf) get 100 more mana, a Breton get 50 more mana, and some birthsigns can give you a boost as well. +150 for the Atronach, and +100 for The Apprentice if you don't want the Stunted Magicka thing.

Intelligence governs how much Mana you get otherwise, as it adds double your Int score to your Mana pool. Get a natural 100 on Intelligence, and then some extra gear that gives Fortify Int bonus or Fortify Magicka bonuses. Also keep in mind that the Mana cost of spells go down as you gain more skill levels in the school the spell belongs to.

My character (a Breton sorceress) currently has max 720 Mana. Just enough to cast the strongest version of the Finger once. :)

Has anyone else done the painting investigation in Chorral? I've made it to the point where I find a painting in the west tower and suspicious painting implements in some lady's room. It just says I need to collect more evidence

This one had me stuck for quite a while too. You'll have to examine the carpet in the dining room. At the far end (from the entrance) there is some paint stains and footprints. When you have "used" the carpet your journal decides that you have enough evidence. And then you'll be faced with a moral dilemma, since the countess punishment if you rat out the guilty is extremely draconian for such a minor crime. Ruin a person's life to make the countess happy and get some gold and gems now, or keep the secret to get a more... unique... reward later, and the eternal gratitude of the guilty one for sparing them. :)

Nah.. it's because of whoever the "genius" dev that was in charge of this spell forgot to check the "auto-calc" button, and decided to put insane values in there ;)

Go into TESCS and in the spells, open each "level" of the FotM spell and click the "Auto-Calculate" box if it's not checked. Should fix that problem up for ya' :D

Btw, I was thinking of installing this mod: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.c...s.Detail&id=268 Has anyone tried it?
YES! of all the leveling mods out there.. this one is my favorite. The author really took some time with this one rather than just add a few entries "here & there".. I use this one, but I still upped my difficulty so it wasn't too easy of a breeze ;)

Paah'Ketgz (my thief/ranger/assasin pronounced "Pockets") is sniping things left and right where almost everything I do is a sneak attack. I had to up the difficulty just so I wasn't yawning myself to sleep.. I would constantly have an ammo stack of about 200 arrows because it would only take 1-2 to kill anything.. now let's say, I go searcing for any stray arrows after a fight.. hehehe..

@SpaceAlex, uhh, you do know you can wait, right?;)

@Stoffe, Oh, I didn't know about a quest to hunt the unicorn. I thought it was the good vs evil version of shadowmere, and since I'm saving the dark brotherhood for last I wanted a superhorse now. I had managed to lead all hostile creatures out of it's range before disposing of them, and I finally got to where I could ride without it going daffy when I dismount, but the dang thing keeps wandering off and I can never find it (I don't think it returns to it's original locations)

I actually just found the Sanguine shrine about an hour ago :lol:

So, since I have no character inherent bonuses I can only hope to max at 200?

I guess I can always use the "duplicate items" secondary glitch function to permanantly bind constant fortify effect to me, but that's just going to be long and messy:(

I'll bet you can set yours as high as you want though:)

Never would've figured out the carpet in a million years:lol:

What's the strangest/wierdest/funniest things you've seen or done in Oblivion?

The first time I paralyzed a bear and watched him roll down a mountain was hilfreakinglarious:D

The first time I paralyzed a bear and watched him roll down a mountain was hilfreakinglarious:D

The quest involving the Stark Reality spell, that you have to cast at a dinner party was funny...

also

I paralyzed the arch-mage, when he became frozen, he fell up against the wall and was stuck there, looked like a 2x4 leaning against the wall... I should'a took a screenie of it...

Nah.. it's because of whoever the "genius" dev that was in charge of this spell forgot to check the "auto-calc" button, and decided to put insane values in there ;)

Don't know if they forgot it, seems pretty deliberate to me. Though I agree that it's kind of stupid with a spell that costs more than it would cost if you crafted it yourself (if you could craft that powerful spells, that is...), so I followed your advise. The casting cost for the most powerful Finger dropped from 710 Mana to 320 Mana. Still quite a lot, but a bit more managable.

Seems like the special Mages' Guild spells have non-standard Mana costs. The Wizard's Fury spell costs a lot less mana than it would if it was auto-calculated for example, so I guess that compensates somewhat. :)

YES! of all the leveling mods out there.. this one is my favorite. The author really took some time with this one rather than just add a few entries "here & there".. I use this one, but I still upped my difficulty so it wasn't too easy of a breeze ;)

Hmm, do you need to do something special to activate this mod, or will it just take a while? I tossed out my old Bandit Loot sanitizer mod yesterday and installed this one instead, and since then I've noticed a sharp increase in the use of Daedric weapons among Bandits and Marauders. I'm unsure if this is "normal" with this mod for a level 36 character, or if I am seeing the standard game behavior (I installed the other mod before I reached high level)?

@Stoffe, Oh, I didn't know about a quest to hunt the unicorn. I thought it was the good vs evil version of shadowmere, and since I'm saving the dark brotherhood for last I wanted a superhorse now. (snip) the dang thing keeps wandering off and I can never find it

Unfortunately not. As usual the evil people get all the cool toys and tools. :) Not that I mind the loss that much though, I run everywhere instead. Horses are to hard to "steer" and slow down your ability to fight back if you are being attacked since apparently riding is so mentally exhausting that you can't cast spells when sitting on a horseback.

(Besides, with 100 Athletics, 100 Speed and some gear that Fortifies them a bit further I can outrun the black horses on foot. No need to use them. And allies/nonhostiles are the bane of any magic user who likes spells with a blast radius anyway. :))

Since the Unicorn is a part of a quest I would assume that it wanders back to its grove, slowly. Might take a while though if you are far away since horses can't fast-travel on their own.

So, since I have no character inherent bonuses I can only hope to max [Magicka] at 200?

I think you'll go a little higher. I may be wrong, but I think you get some starting magicka when you create your character on top of the one you get from Intelligence. But other than that you'll need to use items that fortifies Intelligence or Magicka if you want it higher if you didn't pick a race and birthsign with magical affinity.

I think that's fairly okay though as it makes sense in a way. If a character isn't focused on magic they shouldn't be able to use the most powerful spells. (You'll need Mastery level in Destruction to be able to cast the level 25+ version of Finger of the Mountain anyway, which will reduce its mana cost quite significantly.)

There are lots of those things...just to mention a few: I think this horse was kind of funny. The thing was stuck on its front legs and I could even push it around without it putting its rear legs down. Horses are stiff like cardboard cutouts in Oblivion. :)

The aforementioned rain of burning dogs, and the reaction of the Khajiit villagers to it. :)

Then there was the Civil War in the Mages' Guild, where the Battlemages frenzied and slaughtered eachother because they accidentally hit eachother with spells in the heat of battle, allowing the real enemy to escape.

The Free-for-all street brawl in Bravil which left half the town dead. A Mythic Dawn sleeper agent attacked me and nearby citizens and guards came to my aid. With such a crowd they inevitably hit eachother by mistake and the victim retaliated, hitting someone else by mistake in turn. When the domino effect had subsided 15 townsfolk and guards lay dead on the ground and only 2 badly injured town guards casually walked away from the scene. At least the MD sleeper was among the victims this time. :)

When closing the first Oblivion Gate in the main quest, you find one of the town guards in a cage in a corpse masher tower, the one who tells you how the gates may be closed. Next to his cage is a Sigilkeeper Dremora who has the key to the Sigillum Sanguis area in the main tower. When he tried to fight me on that narrow ledge around the cage he backed off the ledge, fell down the pit and impaled himself on one of the spikes on the corpse masher at the bottom of the tower. I didn't even get the opportunity to land a single hit on him. :)

When closing the first Oblivion Gate in the main quest, you find one of the town guards in a cage in a corpse masher tower, the one who tells you how the gates may be closed. Next to his cage is a Sigilkeeper Dremora who has the key to the Sigillum Sanguis area in the main tower. When he tried to fight me on that narrow ledge around the cage he backed off the ledge, fell down the pit and impaled himself on one of the spikes on the corpse masher at the bottom of the tower. I didn't even get the opportunity to land a single hit on him. :)
hehe, i've had that happen a couple of times. what's even funnier is if there is a ledge hanging out over the lava and they jump in trying to get to you.

the sad thing about this whole situation is whenever i duplicated the situations with the backing off the ledge type deal. hehe, i landed right on the center spike. the best part about the whole deal: it made the back feel so much better after all that duckwalking crouch/sneaking thing. :D

@Stoffe, Funny pic, but looking at the fields on the other side of the road is the PC draw distance as bad or worse than the 360?

I just had another one of those "rumbles" I was trying to get into the party for the sanguine quest (still not sure how???) and just got bored and cast the spell on the countess in the middle of the throne room...The countess and steward charged me and the guards and count took my side (guess there was a little spousal tesnion there:xp: ) Despite my Convalescence accuracy it ended with a dead steward and a naked unconscious countess:lol:

Is there a non-hostile version of that spell? That would definitely become one of my most used if it just didn't cause so much of a hullabaloo.

How do you convince the guard to open the door, the dialog quits without a persuade option?

@Stoffe, Funny pic, but looking at the fields on the other side of the road is the PC draw distance as bad or worse than the 360?

Since my computer is fairly old and just barely capable of running the game I'm using Medium/Low graphics settings and rather short draw distance for everything. It's not too pretty, but at least it's somewhat playable (even though it's often kind of slow and laggy).

I just had another one of those "rumbles" I was trying to get into the party for the sanguine quest (still not sure how???)

(snip)

Is there a non-hostile version of that spell? That would definitely become one of my most used if it just didn't cause so much of a hullabaloo.

(snip)

How do you convince the guard to open the door, the dialog quits without a persuade option?

You'll have to be there in the evening (about 7 PM or so) the day after you get the quest. If you are too early the guard will just shoo you away (or won't even be there if you are very early). If you get there during the evening when the party is on, I think you'll get normal dialog where you can Persuade him if you want. I just slapped a Charm spell on him though, worked just as well. If you are poor at speechcraft and have no charm magic potent enough you can just fool him into believing you are a guest by wearing expensive-looking upper class clothing (or armor I guess, didn't try that).

Make him unlock the door for you, then open the door and hide as far away as you can before casting the spell into the room, unless you don't mind getting an Assault bounty on your head and a bunch of guards chasing you. If you are good enough at hiding and shoot the spell from the opposite end of the throne room you may be undetected and won't get any bounty. I suppose you could expose the throne room guard to the spell from a safe distance first to get him out of the way, making it easier to get a clear shot into the dining room without being detected.

The Stark Reality spell is related to that quest only. Sanguine will take it back when you return to the shrine for your reward. Not that big a loss since it only works on the Leyawiin castle crew anyway. I suppose it would have been somewhat overkill if you could remove the armor and weapons of ordinary opponents. Would make non-magic users fairly helpless. :)

I accidentally got infected with vampirism during a long wilderness dungeon exploration trek. Didn't notice I had gotten diseased since there were no HUD icons. All the books and lore in the game describes the "first stage" of vampirism as essentially undetectable by others, those infected would look pretty much like before.

Unfortunately the transformation in-game is about as far from that description as you can come... my character looks like she's aged 200 years, the face looks cartoonish, she got sickly pale skin and red-yellow eyes. Only someone blind would fail to notice that transformation.

So, I'm wondering if anyone know of a mod (or how you can fix it yourself with the TES:CS) that removes the appearance change from the first stage of Vampirism. I don't mind a more beastly look for the more advanced stages, since tha matches what all the books and stories say. But the first one, where you feed regularily, is supposed to be undetectable, not make you look like an ancient albino mummy.

Seems like I'll be stuck as a vampire for a while until I manage to get the cure quest done, and I can't stand how my character currently looks. :(

@ Stoffe, Here's a mod that adds a subterranean alchemic lab to the map, just outside Bruma... it has some cool stuff in it (including a Vampirism cure)...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=76

Hope it helps...

Thanks for the advice, though I'd prefer not to cheat and get the cure the "legitimate" way by doing the quest. :) I managed to hack together some shoddy solution to my appearance problems that will work for now. Though if someone know of a more transparent way of doing it (like modding how the different stages of Vampirism affects appearance) I'm eager to learn of it.

In case anyone wants to know what I did: Essentially I changed the VampireScript script to use a custom Vampirism0 ability that specified level 0 Vampirism instead of using the Vampirism25 ability for the first stage. This leaves your character's appearance unaltered, though unfortunately it also prevents you from feeding on sleeping NPCs. So I made a custom ring that, when worn, flips out the custom Vampirism0 ability to the standard Vampirism25 one. When the ring is unequipped it restored the custom Vampirism0 ability again. This way my character only have to look like a shriveled mummy when feeding, and can go back to visually undetectable vampirism again directly afterwards by unequipping the ring. :)

@Stoffe, Uh, what If it took me to long trying to find a way in, and I've played too much since to re-load???:(

I don't know if the party is only on for that particular evening or if it keeps going until you've crashed it. But if they chose the realistic way, and you missed the correct date, then you've probably failed the quest. You've mostly missed out on the entertainment of doing the quest though, since the reward is less than remarkable (a staff that summons a random daedra, which may attack you as well as your enemies, for 20 seconds if the bolt hits a living target.)

Though if the quest won't go away in the journal I suppose it may ruin your chances of doing the Shrine of Hermaeus Mora quest as well. At least I got the impression you need to do all the other Daedric Shrine quests before you will be allowed to do this one.

(Which wouldn't have mattered to my character though since she's "Chaotic Good", and some of the deeds a few of the Daedra require you to do is pretty evil. If yours is more morally flexible it may be worth re-doing the Sanguine quest anyway to be able to complete them all. The most pointlessly evil one I've found yet has to be the one the "Good Daedra" Mephala gives you. I reloaded to before receiving that quest, no way my character is going to indirectly wipe out an entire village. :))

In case anyone wants to know what I did: Essentially I changed the VampireScript script to use a custom Vampirism0 ability that specified level 0 Vampirism instead of using the Vampirism25 ability for the first stage. This leaves your character's appearance unaltered, though unfortunately it also prevents you from feeding on sleeping NPCs. So I made a custom ring that, when worn, flips out the custom Vampirism0 ability to the standard Vampirism25 one. When the ring is unequipped it restored the custom Vampirism0 ability again. This way my character only have to look like a shriveled mummy when feeding, and can go back to visually undetectable vampirism again directly afterwards by unequipping the ring. :)

Just an alternate solution for those who like me want to keep the red eyes and the fangs but don't want their character to look so old: you can simply go into the game settings and change the value for iVampireageoffset to something lower. I set it at -69: it gave me the look and age I wanted for my PC (late 20's - early 30's). If the age of your PC is 18, you can set it to lower than that but if you made a more mature pc, you'll have to experiment with this value to get the age you want.

"Wabbajacking" ogres, xivilai & al to turn them into deers or something smaller. I also like to use the wabbajack on guard horses and, if I'm lucky (I play an evil PC), watch them attack their owners under their new "form" :p

Another one: while imprisoned, I stole the jailor's key while he was passing by and unlocked my cell door. The jailor noticed it but instead of attacking me, he opened the door of the cell next to me and attacked the prisonner there. I was able to easily escape without being hunted down :p

When I get caught stealing I run to Heronymous Lex and "since we are friends" (raise a guard'ss disposition above 90 before committing a crime) he removes my bounty for free (as long as the bounty is less than 1000). Kinda funny when you look at the role he plays.

Thanks! I'll install it as soon as I get my home PC fixed (it's unuseable right now :( ...)

Just a quick moderator advice to everyone ingeneral (that includes me!): if you post quest spoilers, please use spoiler tags! ;)

Just an alternate solution for those who like me want to keep the red eyes and the fangs but don't want their character to look so old: you can simply go into the game settings and change the value for iVampireageoffset to something lower. I set it at -69: it gave me the look and age I wanted for my PC (late 20's - early 30's). If the age of your PC is 18, you can set it to lower than that but if you made a more mature pc, you'll have to experiment with this value to get the age you want.

Hmm, do you need to do anything more for this to take effect? I changed it from the default 20 to -69 as you suggested, and I couldn't see any real difference in the appearance of my character. Here's a comparison:

25% Vampirism, Age Offset 20

25% Vampirism, Age Offset -69

0% Vampirism, Either Age Offset

I assume the iVampireageoffset value is supposed to have a more noticable effect than shown above?

Also, is it possible to keep your old skin tone/texture and only get the fangs and the red eyes? My character is almost Redguard-brown in her skin tone normally, so it's a tremendous difference to suddenly become pale as an Albino Nord, all the wrinkles and facial disfiguration nonwithstanding.

Another one: while imprisoned, I stole the jailor's key while he was passing by and unlocked my cell door. The jailor noticed it but instead of attacking me, he opened the door of the cell next to me and attacked the prisonner there. I was able to easily escape without being hunted down :p

Heh, I guess they employ collective punishment in that jail dungeon. If one tries to escape they kill all the prisoners, and you were only lucky to be last on the list. :p

Speaking of jail, since I've never been there since the start of the game. Do they do anything special to keep magic users from escaping? The loading screens say you can hide a lockpick when going to jail, but you'd need to be born a lockpicker for that to compare to a magic user who can cast an Open spell that opens pretty much any lock that doesn't require a key. :)

It's kind of hard to strip and disarm a mage, after all. A full set of Daedric armor/weapons is only a few castings away.

(And unless the jail cells have "Very Hard" locks that would apply to pretty much any class who has activated the "Tower Doomstone" south of the Imperial City and been granted the Open Hard Lock power.)

Hmm, do you need to do anything more for this to take effect? I changed it from the default 20 to -69 as you suggested, and I couldn't see any real difference in the appearance of my character. Here's a comparison:

25% Vampirism, Age Offset 20

25% Vampirism, Age Offset -69

0% Vampirism, Either Age Offset

I assume the iVampireageoffset value is supposed to have a more noticable effect than shown above?

I am not sure I remember well but unless you make the change before becoming a vampire, you may have to feed before it takes effect. You'll keep the red eyes and the fangs but it should remove all the wrinkles. If you want only the red eyes you can combine it with setting Vampirism to 1 in the Vampirism25 ability : it will allow you to feed but your other vampiric features (such as the mouth area modification) will be less visible. If you still find that your PC looks too old with iVampiricageoffset set at -69, try it at -75. (I set it at -69 as I found that -75 was giving my pc a "babyface" but it's just a matter of taste :) )

Speaking of jail, since I've never been there since the start of the game. Do they do anything special to keep magic users from escaping? [...]

(And unless the jail cells have "Very Hard" locks that would apply to pretty much any class who has activated the "Tower Doomstone" south of the Imperial City and been granted the Open Hard Lock power.)

There is nothing that restricts magic. Playing a mage really gives you an advantage when you are in jail: the easiest way to escape is to steal your jailor's key and then blast him with a spell like the Wizard's fury, get your stuff from the evidence chest and escape without any problem (note that if your bounty is too high you'll be immediately chased down by guards depending on where you are...of course, you can use invisibility to avoid this :) ).

If you don't steal the key or if it's nightime (the Imperial City jailor sometimes sleeps at night), an open very hard lock spell is very practical unless you are very good with those lockpicks as there are normally one hard and one very hard locks to unlock.

^^^^

or you could just go for the quest that nets the skeleton key. if you just keep hitting auto-attempt, the door will eventually unlock, no matter what you skill level is (that and you'll level your skill in security fairly rapidly that way). ;)

ahh, gotcha. hehe, one of the key rules to being a thief (like me): don't get caught. i've stolen thousands of items, but i've never been caught partially due to the handy quicksave feature. :D

I sometimes get caught on purpose and then escape the city riding Shadowmere with all the guards shooting at me! It just adds some atmosphere :p

The thing that bugs me the most in this game is that no one reacts to my bad actions, no matter how high my infamy is ( all those efforts to raise my infamy went to waste! :mad: ) . The only difference so far is that I cannot cure myslef in the Churches (as if I cared about that with all the restore spells and cure disease potions!) and the guards dialogue has slightly changed when they catch me. Other than that I can speak to any npc and even walk in freely in Cloud ruler temple and chat with the blades with a bounty of 20K on my head and they like me just as much. They even defend me against the guards. I had to make a few dialogue tweaks to get attacked on sight in some situations or get different reactions.

I'd like to have more npc reactions/dialogue options based on what you do, what guilds you join. The mages guild should also have a few different dialogue options when you become arch-mage (scholars still call me apprentice and after checking the CS there is no other option available...) or when you dothe quests as a vampire such as

when you do the quests that involve the Count of Skingrad. I had already started the cure for vampirism quest and had previously met him and the dialogue options didn't make any sense in that context as they were the same as for a non vampire: I had to ask him who he was! Duh! and then when I got back at the mages guild I had to ask "you protect a vampire?" to Raminus Polus...

I also noticed that the few vampire hunters you meet during certain quests are very bad at what they do: I did all their quests as a vampire and no one noticed it, no matter at which stage of hunger I was. If I ever have time to make a real mod, fixing that will be part of my plans :D

Archived