Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, finally, thanks to my employers TechNet subscription :) (ie. free for me though without the pretty box :p)

product_windowsvistaultimate.jpg

Used for my shuttle media center pc(from above), but does sit on my gaming machine- awaiting DX10 goodness in the not too distant future :) Will eventually chuck it on my UMPC(ultramobile pc - which is a mini-tablet) once some third party apps catch up and I actually buy the UMPC ;)

people can bitch and whine about MS/Vista all they want - in installing it on 2 of my own pcs, and 3 other media center builds Ive made Ive seriously had ZERO issues related to the OS itself. If you research your components, you'll have no problems. If you try chuck it into the P4 your dad gave you for Xmas in 2004 then you may have issues.

Astro's Vista Tips:

1. Only upgrade "OS only" if you need to: eg. media center, DX10 gamerz

2. RESEARCH/CHECK your components and peripheral's compatability

3. Just wait til you want to buy and build a NEW PC, and get Vista on that

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Been accepted into beta program for windows home server - here's a screenie(Im not jeff!!)

whs_02.jpg

building media server (for use with Vista Media Center/XP, windows home server), currently have 550gb(300+250), adding a further 750gb - Total 1.3TB - that'll keep me going for a while, though putting our whole DVD/Music/Video collection on there will be no small task... :(

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Ocarina of Time comes out on Monday so I'll probably want another card to get that.

Really? never played that, I'll have to look into getting that.

oh and Astro, the way I see it, I'm getting games that I used to play, but don't have anymore, that I enjoy, they're relatively cheap and good to play when you got friends over. I'm waiting for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time it was for the SNES, I used to love playing that game!!!

I'm waiting for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time it was for the SNES, I used to love playing that game!!!

lolz...I remember playing that....twas fun... I remember one stage: "BURY MY SHELL AT WOUNDED KNEE" !!

Im not much of a retro gaming fan...too much into new tech to be into bloated pixels. Even XWA is starting to look dated to me.... new SW flight sim needed damnit!

Whilst Im here.......Im updating my pc.... Im into small form factor in a big way and I cam across the aspire q-pack....superbly made and infinitely more expandable and cheaper than their shuttle counterparts...... great for my new vista gaming rig..... Im sticking with my 7950GX2 card at the moment.... from most benchies run at the settings I use, it is only really topped by the GX version of the nvidia 8800 series... so I will be hanging onto it for a but longer (at least until DX10 enabled games I really want to play at full spec are out)

I love the qpack - portable, for all those nefarious lans...couldnt do that with my previous case... The removable motherboard tray makes it a breeze to put these rigs together. Many micro atx cases can be a bit fiddly to tinker in - especially if you plan on throwing in a monster sized gfx card.

Having the 4 slots there will leave me space to chuck a tv tuner in there too, which I couldnt do with a shuttle case due to my 2 slot gfx card. So will have this as a secondary media center pc :)

qpack_55.jpg

Ive also got a thang for VFDs atm...so will eventually be chucking one of these in the spare 5.25 bay. Ive installed a couple into some media center pcs Ive built - they are just great.....REALLY programmable :) Screen is just HUGE

silverstone mfp51

mfp51-v4.jpg

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

ehehe :) Im an RPG gamer from way back(never played PnP but did play those text based ones on the C64) , so have killed many a skeleton(and rat) in my time....couldnt resist this t-shirt...

rpgskel.jpg

I got mine here in Oz but theyre originally from jinx.com, who ship all over the world.

mtfbwya

Archived