Home

The Very Best of YouTube (*See Forum Rules*)

jon_hill987

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I like this:

Man....when the listener hears Johnny Coltrane play Giant Steps, they marvel over how fast he can play and all...but is the song enjoyable to the ears? It changes key every stinkin' measure and the notes are rather random....I really don't care for music that is intended to show off and not actually please the listener, as do songs of that era like Sing, Sing, Sing, Take the A Train, So What, etc....

He's not my personal fave... Bird is... but I dig the animation to the piece. It's a cool idea. I'd like to see it done for other songs.

I personally think the song is actually fun to play,... (although I truly suck at playing over changes... especially these ones.) It is just an exercise. Not really musical.

The story is that Coltrane got his ass handed to him at a jam session when soloing over the bridge of "Have You Met Miss Jones" (which are the same changes to Giant Steps, although in only 1 key, and a lot slower tempo) so he went home, wrote Steps, and practiced over those changes for a year or so. Then he needed more material for a recording session, so he pulled out this song.

You can tell the piano player never heard the song before. He gets totally lost and runs out of ideas before the end of the solo.

Gotta love cover songs, especially if someone is covering Slipknot.

The song is almost perfectly synced with the video, and yes. It's in Finnish. :xp:

Daa dirlan dirlan daa. Finally Slipknot is doing actually good music. And it reminds me of TPS too. So it's all around good :p

"Koitappa sitä muumia jonka sä viime kerralla ryssit"

"No en mä osaa sitä vieläkään. Se on niin paha"

More awsome Finnish culture. All Finns and Swedes should remember this match no matter how old they were back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wwsxJcidU

Also, a great Pulp Fiction parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yhgrdZAZ4

Archived