Home

Microsoft may buy Yahoo

tk102

CNN link

Microsoft is looking to enter negotiations for a takeover of Yahoo in an effort to defend its shrinking empire against Google's encroachment.

Actually when you think about it, this merger makes good business sense for Yahoo and Microsoft considering Google has been outflanking both companies in terms of advertising dollars, search technology, online office documents, etc.

Yes! Thank you Microsoft. I'm a big fan of their products, their music, and their gaming console! Now, Microsoft is on the path of global domination and everything will soon be owned by Microsoft and run quite effecitvely! Horray! [/Microsoft fanboy]

...Alright, it's not very convicing. I just thought that, with all the anti-Microsoft people out there, someone have to be a Microsoft fanboy. Good job for Microsoft for doing such a thing.

figures... the only messaging program I like (YM) and Micro$oft will probably muck it up with their Messenger :xp:

Of course, now that I think about it, Yahoo's webmail is better than Hotmail too.. hmm... seems the only clear winner is MS in this deal, unless Yahoo holds out for more cash :xp:

go Google go! ;)

I'm a Google fan, but I guess it'd be OK for them to have some bigger competition. I wonder if everything Y! would become M$, or if they will do like how Google bought YouTube and keep it the same.

Yes! Thank you Microsoft. I'm a big fan of their products, their music, and their gaming console! Now, Microsoft is on the path of global domination and everything will soon be owned by Microsoft and run quite effecitvely! Horray! [/Microsoft fanboy]

...Alright, it's not very convicing. I just thought that, with all the anti-Microsoft people out there, someone have to be a Microsoft fanboy. Good job for Microsoft for doing such a thing.

:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Microsoft's monopoly needs to be demolished, they're a horrible company and this deal might not pan out for either M$ or Yahoo.

We'll wait and see.

And please, refrain from the crackpot ideas about Microsoft, please... :xp:

_EW_

Are you kidding me? Microsoft's monopoly needs to be demolished, they're a horrible company and this deal might not pan out for either M$ or Yahoo.
While you might not agree with some of Microsoft's business practices, it's hard to deny that the company has not dramatically enhanced workforce productivity through its standardized software suite. In the area of business computing, it makes sense to have all machines compatible with each other. Microsoft has provided scalable solutions for all business sizes.

Not to mention that it was Microsoft that brought computing to the masses.

gates3.jpg

Plus you know you *love* to hate Microsoft. Who doesn't?

While you might not agree with some of Microsoft's business practices, it's hard to deny that the company has not dramatically enhanced workforce productivity through its standardized software suite. In the area of business computing, it makes sense to have all machines compatible with each other. Microsoft has provided scalable solutions for all business sizes.

Not to mention that it was Microsoft that brought computing to the masses.

~IMG Snip~

Plus you know you *love* to hate Microsoft. Who doesn't?

Agreed... They have done multiple good things for the community, and I guess 'horrible' was a little harsh.

But they have done some bad things.

_EW_

No. It's already been denied

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/05/05/that-was-quick-microsoft-is-not-buying-yahoo/

More importantly, check out what the Wall Street Journal said on saturday...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117827827757492168.html

In short, a deal like that was discussed last year, but although Microsoft may want it now that Google has acquired DoubleClick, Yahoo is not interested. A cooperation to take on Google might be in the works, though...

:rolleyes:

We'll wait and see.

And please, refrain from the crackpot ideas about Microsoft, please... :xp:

_EW_

As little love as I hold for Microsoft and their business practices, the real power on the market now is Google, who could hold a monopoly by this time next year that will make Microsoft's pale.

What really concerns me is the absolutely domineering position that Google will have in internet advertising after they bought out DoubleClick. According to Bloomberg, Google now has 48% of the internet advertising market, while Microsoft and Yahoo can come to only 38% even if they combine their forces. With Google that powerful, I begin to wonder just how interested Google will actually be in not collecting information about us now that we all use it. They already save our search results for at least 18 months, and that's after they agreed to cut down on the time they save their data.

Don't get me wrong, I think Microsoft uses appalling business tactics, but Microsoft is looking more and more like a dinosaur just waiting to die... Microsoft is being challenged EVERYWHERE. Office is being threatened by open source, their document format is being challenged by ODF (and there are grim stories about what Microsoft are doing about that), and Windows is being threatened by Linux. These threats are taken so seriously that Goldman-Sachs will no longer recommend the acquisition of Microsoft stock, which is a pretty clear sign of trouble. Microsoft's latest attempts to fight back, like launching Silverlight to challenge Adobe's Flash, are feeble and, IMHO, pitiful. Challenged on all sides, I can't see how Microsoft will survive in the long run unless they begin to innovate. And when's the last time you saw Microsoft do anything that was even remotely innovative?

Suffice it say, that Microsoft does not worry me so much. I'm more worried whether Google can resist the lure of the dark side and continue to "do no evil"...

I don't think Google is going to be that dominat of a player in the future to be monopolistic. While I do use their search engine, well, I don't use other open-source programs that Google have, and since Office is bundled in with the latest verison of Windows, I don't see any problems for Microsoft. Still, it is possible.

Ah, Jediphile, but Google may already have been evil. Many people are angry about Google Adwords, because of "click fraud". A person click on the ad, and both Google and the ad owner makes money. What would happen if the ad owner set up a program that start clicking ads all the time? (It can already happen, but I think it can easily be done manually as well, by clicking, clicking, clicking, changing your IP, and repeating) The ad owner will make some money, but Google will make far more money, and adverstiers are angry at Google's reluntance to crack down on click fraud, since Google profits from it, while the actual site doesn't...all they get is more clicks from this one person who is not interested in buying the product, just clicking. Not to mention that Google also profits from illegal ads that promote downloading cracks and warez, since people click on that ad, and Google makes money, so companies are already fuming about Google in that end.

• 8 months later...
Bite there ****ing hand off! or at least I would :), I dont know what a reasonable price for Yahoo would be...
Might not be up to them. MS is offering them significantly more per share than the stock is currently worth on its own. Investors might try to make Yahoo!'s manager's minds up for them.

Personally, I can't see how this will do anything but help Google.

Anyway it would make more sense if Microsoft bought Google out. Since then they wouldn't need Yahoo!

YHOO has 1.39B shares outstanding. MSFT's offer of $45B comes out to be a little more than $31/share. Before the anouncement, YHOO was trading at about $19/share. That means MSFT's tender offer would mean 160% gain for investors.

Meanwhile GOOG has 312.84M shares outstanding with a trading price of about $540/share before yesterday's news. For MSFT to make a similar offer would require $270B, which is roughly equivalent the value of all MSFT stock put together.

Math is fun.

and Windows is being threatened by Linux.

lolz like it has been for the last god knows how long...Linux is good, but it lacks coherence and $$$ to ever successfully challenge MS, not to mention DX suppory etc.

Microsoft buying Yahoo doesn't really bother me as I could care less about Yahoo or MS as the only product I use from either is XP and that's it...

The Justice department made noises about checking over the potential merger for any violations of anti-trust laws, so even if they want to go through with it, the gov't might dictate otherwise.

^

Many of Microsofts past desires were cut due to government intervention.

I don't think this will be prevented by anti-trust laws, however it'll probably be heavily watched initially if it goes through.

Archived