Home

What's the most obscure game you've ever played?

Serpentine Cougar

*Spiceworld*

well, if there's a God and you go to purgatory.....that should save some time off your sentence. Either that or damn you in perpetuity. :xp:

Never really messed with console games, so have largely been restricted to PCs (and Macs at that till about 3 years ago). Played some kind of "primitive" LOTR game (very minimal graphics and a LOT of typing) on my first Mac. More recently (last 2+ years) something called Iron Storm. Was a difficult game b/c you could be killed so easily by snipers if you played anything above easy leavel.

how about some more recent games:

GTR2 - a racing simulator on the PC. ultra-realistic and a lot of fun. doesn't play well with Vista, though

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis - the idea is simple: build Jurassic Park. you get to manage the dinosaurs and things like that. it has a fair amount of depth, and its quite fun. the best part, though, is setting the big carnivores against each other and watching them duke it out. if you're really demented, you can fence the people in and set some Raptors loose. :dev7:

Galactic Civilizations 2: The Dread Lords - this is by far one of the best turn-based strategy games ever made, and i would dare say that this is the best sci-fi strategy game ever. this game is actually so good that it easily rivals the Civilization series in terms of how good it is. its so incredibly addictive, and there's a ton of depth if you really want to get into it. the campaign is pretty good, but the best part is setting up a massive galaxy with all 8 races in it vying for their share of power. if that still wasn't enough for you, this is one of the few games in which the AI feels like you're up against an actual person. its a great game, and the expansions just keep making it better and better.

Dark Star One - think of this game as "X3: The Reunion" Lite. it's a space sim that lets you play the part of a merchant, mercenary, pirate, or a heavily wanted outlaw. the storyline is pretty good, and the flight mechanics are simple but refined enough to make it fun. when it comes to dogfights in space, there are few games that do it better. my only complaint is that every system in this game feels very generic. still, for an unknown game coming over from an unknown publisher/developer, its a good game with a nice amount of depth to it.

Never really messed with console games, so have largely been restricted to PCs (and Macs at that till about 3 years ago). Played some kind of "primitive" LOTR game (very minimal graphics and a LOT of typing) on my first Mac. More recently (last 2+ years) something called Iron Storm. Was a difficult game b/c you could be killed so easily by snipers if you played anything above easy level.

I assume you are talking about Interplay's J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I

I also have the follow up J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. II: The Two Towers

I wonder if I can still get this somewhere? My son would _love_ that game, being a big fan of Captain Underpants and all other things involving blechy bodily functions. :lol:

If you have good google skills you can find the game and an emulator to play it with.

Top Gun for the NES , 8 bit or 16 bit Nintendo , don't remember . :p

We also had Mario , ow yeah !

But Topgun was a pain , awfull 8 bit music :lol: and difficult for a 6 year old .

Never got passed that dreaded refuel your fighter in sky stage :lol: or that weird landing on the ship .

I always crashed into the ship or dropped of at the end because I didn't had the right speed and angle :p

Ow well , fun gamez and somewhere on or first PC (Windows 95 ) we had this silly Ski game , when you where to far down hill somesort Yeti would eat you , pretty hilarious .

Ofcourse we moved on to 3D moviemaker from Microsoft , that was a nice game , wasted hours on that one .

What is the most obscuregame I've played? Easy. Bluebird's Illusion.

[[unless your a die-hard Fullmetal Alchemist fan, you won't know what it is ]]

Ooh, ooh, I know what it is, my sister told me about it! Did you like it?

"A Pick and Flick Adventure" - Hilarious!

Glace. So unheard of it doesn't even appear on wikipedia. Pretty fun though.

Looks kind of like Nifflas' Games - you should check them out. They're also obscure... :p

Custer's Revenge.

... 'Nuff said. X[

Obscure, disturbed, and incredibly stupid all at the same time.

For people who have not heard of it or have not played it, yet .. (It's been out for AGES .. I can't exactly what year, but it was long ago) .. anyway .. my advice to you is this .... STAY AWAY FROM IT! Tis the Evilness!!!

Dark Star One - think of this game as "X3: The Reunion" Lite. it's a space sim that lets you play the part of a merchant, mercenary, pirate, or a heavily wanted outlaw. the storyline is pretty good, and the flight mechanics are simple but refined enough to make it fun. when it comes to dogfights in space, there are few games that do it better. my only complaint is that every system in this game feels very generic. still, for an unknown game coming over from an unknown publisher/developer, its a good game with a nice amount of depth to it.

I could never get X3 to run on my CPU that well, but as for everything else you said, I agree. I really enjoyed Dark Star One. It had a unique upgrade system that I really liked. It's a shame there are not that many Space Flight Sims any more... Dark Star One was the first chance I had since Tachyon: The Fringe to pull out my joystick. As a flight sim, it was pretty generic, but with no competition, it was just great to have a new flight sim to play!

As for other obscure games I've played, the only one that comes to mind is Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

What? Obscure? Surely, you're joking, Bob!

Well, sort of, but sort of not. I played Redemption shortly before Bloodlines came out. I enjoyed Redemption, so I picked up Bloodlines on its release day. Apparently, I was one of the few people that did and the game sold so poorly initially, Troika closed down...

The game's popularity spread through word of mouth, and somewhat slowly at that. A lot of people here have played it due to stoffe talking about the game, but that was fairly recently. So, while it's fairly well known now, it's still not as well known as a lot of other games. Still, when I played it, I think it did fall under the category of "obscure games." heh

It's a shame there are not that many Space Flight Sims any more...
Agreed! :( I've always had a soft-spot for these games ever since playing the vector-graphic Star Wars in the arcades. I think I mentioned them before Bob, but Freespace: Descent and Freespace 2 are excellent representatives of this genre.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple that might qualify:

Qix, Game Boy (1990). Game was next to impossible at later stages, but fun.

Loom, PC (1990). Very fun adventure game by Lucasarts. Interesting magic system based on musical notes.

Destruction Derby, PC (1995). Who cares about racing when you can win by smashing everyone else to pieces?

The Dig, PC (1995). Another adventure game by Lucasarts, this one was fascinating to play through. I liked the end a lot, and exploring the, uh, "dig" was very fun. Orchestral score.

Odell Down Under, PC (1995). Cuttlefish were the best.

Outlaws, PC (1997). Awesome soundtrack, and the cutscenes were fun. Like Dark Forces, except it's a Western.

Space Interceptor: Project Freedom, PC (2004). A flight sim that's actually very fun! The controls are a bit iffy, however - you can't actually flip over on the y axis, and targeting is a bit confusing - but great value if you want to play a nice looking space game. Definitely made me want a new Freespace game when I was playing it. Includes ground-attack missions, something I really wanted to do in Freespace.

Space Interceptor: Project Freedom, PC (2004). A flight sim that's actually very fun! The controls are a bit iffy, however - you can't actually flip over on the y axis, and targeting is a bit confusing - but great value if you want to play a nice looking space game. Definitely made me want a new Freespace game when I was playing it. Includes ground-attack missions, something I really wanted to do in Freespace.

My next space-flight sim fix is going to be the Freespace 2 Battlestar Galactiga mod. It looks like it'll be really cool.

I have a couple that might qualify:

Qix, Game Boy (1990). Game was next to impossible at later stages, but fun.

Loom, PC (1990). Very fun adventure game by Lucasarts. Interesting magic system based on musical notes.

The Dig, PC (1995). Another adventure game by Lucasarts, this one was fascinating to play through. I liked the end a lot, and exploring the, uh, "dig" was very fun. Orchestral score.

Outlaws, PC (1997). Awesome soundtrack, and the cutscenes were fun. Like Dark Forces, except it's a Western.

Played them! :)

and a few more:

Jinxter: Still one othe funniest ever.

Legend of Faerghail: This was my first rpg on a computer.

Record of Lodoss War for the Sega Dreamcast. Not a bad Diablo-esque game, but probably not worth your time if you're not a fan of Lodoss.
Never knew there was a game for that on the DC! :D

Well, i now have an excuse to play on my beloved Dreamcast again! :)

I have had Burning Rubber on the AMIGA OCS, pretty fun IMO.

Oh and on the PSX, Dracula II: The Last Sanctuary is quit a fun and addictive adventure game, i'd recommend it.

Another great game i remember from my youth is Zoombinis, very fun and very addictive.

Archived