Home

What if WE would have to make KotOR III? Yes, that's right, WE

_robot

There's so much desparate people saying, that: "KotOR III will never come out"; "Why don't we even talk about this".

Maybe we'll talk about this that way:

What if we - all of us would write a script for KotOR III and one team would turn that into a mod? Total convertion for TSL? I don't say this is the way i would like it to be, no. I want a new engine for the game ;] Some suprises by our lovely KotORs developers are welcomed as well.

I just want to know what do You think about that. Yeaaaah, i know that sounds.. Mad.

Not likely. Not to be mean, but its not worth the time. Good luck finding...

a) people with enough time on their hands

b) people willing to spend that time on something like making an entire game, crafted within an engine that is not supported, is supposedly difficult to work with, and has no comprehensive construction-set that could do the job of making a whole game with new areas. The engine is quite dated anyways, it was already showing its age with The Sith Lords.

c) people in large numbers skilled and experienced enough to make a professional product.

I don't mean to put you down, but its a better option to seek out new games. I've just gotten into Oblivion, and its fantastic.

I didn't say i'm a KotOR maniac (which is obviously true ;)

I also didn't say that i want mod like this to be released, i prefer to see KotOR 3 by our standard, lovely developers.. Or just play Mass Effect. Have You seen that game? It's.. *great*. Just like KotOR, but upgraded soo much and .. It's not really Star Wars, obviously.

And yes, finding people ready to do that mod would take as long as waiting for ready KotOR 3 :)

*Snort*

I've seen this kind of thing before. There's a number of projects that are making "Fan Sequels" For various games. The ones I know best are mostly of old Sierra properties like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and Space Quest. They're operating on an ancient, VGA system with an engine that's widely available. Take a wild guess at how long the ones I'm aware of have been operating, and still live.

A year? Two? Four? Try eight. None of the ones I am aware of, to date, have finished. Making a Fan Sequel, even if it were merely just a mod, and have it be an acceptable sequel, would...well, by the time it's finished, I'll be playing Mass Effect III.

Might be better to just create a CYA then for K3. Great, you lose the 'omg, combat!!1!!' of KOTOR3, but I thought we prefer RPGs for the storyline.

And that's exactly the reason why I am relucant to support making K3. We play games for the STORYLINE. And, well, uh, storylines usually can go rather terrible indeed, especially if the fans write them. And, well, fan sequels are terrible indeed. But I think it is doable. If you lower your expections. I'd rather that a K3 be made by fans so that people can finally quiet down, and head over to the true heart and soul of the "Knights of the Old Republic" forum, Kavar's Corner. Heh, I might actually be able to counter any plotline made by...Bioware *shudders*.

My only suggestion is to have someone experienced with the KOTOR storyline to write it. I'd recommend Jediphile, and TA.

Oh, and time. Yep, time's going to be a killer.

There was actually a fan made KotOR III already underway...

Only mod I'm aware of is a K1.5 where Revan is sent to stop some Sith rebels trying to rebuild the Star Forge...

• 4 weeks later...

I think there are some fan-made Wing Commander standalone games out there, but I could be wrong...

But yeah, the time to invest in such a game can be significant. I mean, look how long TSLRP has taken (and the impatience from the fanbase that accompanies it). And add to the fact that you can't charge for it, the investment/reward ratio is far too low.

... and if you're going to make it a standalone game, the dev team is going to have to shell out anywhere from $50-500+ (per member) for a game engine (I suppose you could leave out the people who might not need it like the storywriters, voice actors, and maybe a few others).

And yeah, storywriters can be critical, along with any dialog writers.

I've never made a mod before, but I'd certainly love to do some of the voice acting. Like they said, it would probably lead to trouble if we declared it "Kotor 3" - so we would need a name. As long as we're not trying to make a profit, I think a mod of that caliber would be a huge success. If this idea turns into a project, send me the dialog scripts. :)

Right now the two things we all anticipated the most aren't happening anymore

1)tslrp

2)kotor3

so that pretty much sums it all up for us, we have to make do with what we've got, and before anyone comments on 1) soon the realisation will hit home, count the days man!

• 1 month later...
Right now the two things we all anticipated the most aren't happening anymore

1)tslrp

2)kotor3

so that pretty much sums it all up for us, we have to make do with what we've got, and before anyone comments on 1) soon the realisation will hit home, count the days man!

Wait, they canceled the restoration project?

• 4 weeks later...
I think there are some fan-made Wing Commander standalone games out there, but I could be wrong...

From what I've heard, Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat were fan-made mods based off of HL orginally. Those became extremely successful, but granted, they were made with the map tools Valve gave out. What we have to work with are programs made by some devoted KOTOR fan, and free technology. YOu simply aaren't going to find enough people to put it together.

Archived