Home

HD DVD is dead

lukeiamyourdad

I haven't got any DVD's for either, nor a player, so I've not lost out. the only way it might effect me is that I probably would of used my 360 elite instead of going out and buying an HD-DVD player, but you can rent HD films off xbox live onto your hard drive now anyway.

And everyone thought Blu-ray would end up on the losing side of this.

I certainly did, I remember when I was a kid Sony had the better video tape format, but lost the battle. I just figured history would repeat itself.

My dad bought a Betamax unit in the 70’s, I learned from his mistake and refused to purchase either until the war was over. Now I just have to set back and wait for the price to drop.

Meh it could still end up losing out by people not buying the Blu-ray players.

@mimartin: Remember that Betamax was a higher quality picture, better sound, and longer tape life than the vhs. What made VHS win that war was more people able to buy low(er) cost vhs players. This war ain't over yet.

Meh it could still end up losing out by people not buying the Blu-ray players.

@mimartin: Remember that Betamax was a higher quality picture, better sound, and longer tape life than the vhs. What made VHS win that war was more people able to buy low(er) cost vhs players. This war ain't over yet.

And if Sony doesn't drop their Blu-Ray player price, that's almost a certainty. Query: If bly-ray becomes "standard", does that mean Microsoft can implement it in their X360? It's not like it's very complicated to do.

It's not possible to compare Blu-ray and regular DVD since one is a next-generation format and the other is considered old generation. Sony has pretty much all the ground it wants in order to push Blu-ray forward.

Sure, HD still isn't mainstream enough right now, but so was DVD when it first came out. Without HD DVD, Blu-ray is the next step in the evolution. As such, the format war between Toshiba and Sony is over and it pretty much means that the future is Blu-ray.

By the way, I'm not a Sony enthusiast or anything, I actually put my money on HD DVD. Sony's track record in the field was far from good.

Meh as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to make the laser-disk mistake again.

We have thumb drives that hold multiple gigs of data. I'm waiting to see if they end up using something like that rather than a disk that can be scratched by kids, wife, me, failing drive, whatever else... IMHO The future is not in disks, its in another direction.

And if Sony doesn't drop their Blu-Ray player price, that's almost a certainty. Query: If bly-ray becomes "standard", does that mean Microsoft can implement it in their X360? It's not like it's very complicated to do.

I kinda see what you're referring to, but Sony is doing their job: The PS3 is the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

I don't see the point of Blue-Ray. I thought it was dead...

The next gen perhaps?

I don't see the point of Blue-Ray. I thought it was dead...

50GB on one disc > this is the point. The scope for gaming devs to create huge and wonderful games is just one of the benefits.

The other thing is that BluRay sounds liek BlueJay - which is one awesome bird :D

BluJay02May-2005-01.jpg

mtfbwya

And everyone thought Blu-ray would end up on the losing side of this.

I think a more accurate way to put it would be "And everyone wanted Blu-ray to end up on the losing side of this".

Oh well, everyone has already cracked the DRM restrictions placed on Blu-ray, now we just need to prevent those DRM drives from getting released. I'm still voting the LaserDisc fiasco with this.

I'm waiting to see if they end up using something like that rather than a disk that can be scratched by kids, wife, me, failing drive, whatever else... IMHO The future is not in disks, its in another direction.

That's where the industry is going, actually. Hence why the Macbook Air was made and why they're looking for cheap effective ways of making long lasting flash memory. Discs have been obsolete since at least '98. It's just that the industries have been bleeding the tech dry.

Flash drives,etc. are the wave of the future.

They better still put movies on regular DVDs; I don't want to be forced into buying an HD TV....

within 5 years tops, DVDs and sub 720i/p TVs will be a thing of the past.

HD is beautiful, and increasingly cheaper. I abhor DVD quality now... have you seen 720x576(Standard DVD MPEG2) on a large (1920x1080)1080p display...yuck!

Heck, you can get 40" 720p plasmas for $400ish USD if you look hard enough. Not a huge fan of plasma meself, as I have small rooms, but if you have a nice large room, theyre a great lower cost alternative. As OLED tech comes to the fore, LCD prices continue to plummet.

mtfbwya

Archived