Home

Female Gamers

Jae Onasi

When was the last time you ever saw a man who wasn't a professional chef do a decent job cooking, Inyri? And, for that matter, when was the last time you ever saw a man who wasn't totally insane do a good job cleaning?

I don't know if you're just incompetent in those things and trying to make it look like everyone is like you or you're being funny, but I do a darn good job cooking, an OK job cleaning, but cooking, yes, I love cooking. And I haven't killed anyone and people love my food so I must be good at it.

My mom and dad takes turns at cooking, they each cook different things best, but my dad is usually the cook, and therefore...God.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corinth- My Dad happens to be a very good cook, compared to my mom. <<

I knew that alot of the media views gaming as a 'boys thing', but at my school every girl I know at least has one console...actually, I think at my school gaming is more of a girls thing than boys. Lots of the boys have moved on to sports...of course, I could never find such love in sports. I just love my Kingdom Hearts to much. /love Kingdom Hearts

Where I live, soap watching and binge drinking are the normal hobies for both genders and gaming/"exersising" being "boy" things, and exersising/older boyfriend being "girl" things. Of course there are exeptions, but in my class I only know one girl who has played something else than sing star.

@Corinthian: I can make food fit for any ocasion, and clean well enough to earn some money doing it when needed. Of course I'm probably insane to know such skils, particularly when I'm about to get my own property :xp:

And yes I'm a man (technically not before monday, but I don't want to repost then).

It's not quite the 1950's anymore, but mental perceptions don't change in 50 years; take a poll of men and see how many of them still think women are best at cooking and cleaning. It's just taboo to say it out loud... which I guess is better than no progress at all. :p

Well there's certainly progress, my mom and dad I would consider somewhere half way out. My grandparents I would consider real 50's folk.

My dad has seen the gamesworld booming, it some attracts him, but he can never "get into it" its something for the kids.

Well at least my little cousin,( my Sisters son) will be raised with games, as daddy plays a lot'em and mom to.

It won't be maniac, my Sister won't let that happen.

Anyway these kind of boards prove there's a differant world already.

To be fair, females are a bit more atuned to communications, whiwh many offline gaming xp do not provide. Then again, I won't call it communication either when it comes to those annoying chipmunk kiddos yelling at teamspeak.

I think it would be a bit of a challenge.

Yes, though unfortunately, a human that is despined is probably long dead before you get to the strangulation part. So I suggest you to get your spine donor elsewhere if you want to strangle someone.

To be fair, females are a bit more atuned to communications, whiwh many offline gaming xp do not provide. Then again, I won't call it communication either when it comes to those annoying chipmunk kiddos yelling at teamspeak.
I'd argue that's why women play RPG's; there's a more social feeling to them despite it all being 'preordained,' if you will; RPG's are meant to mimic reality, at least to a certain extent.

And I DARESAY that's why women don't play the popular MMO's in the numbers that men do; whatever folks are doing in there I don't think it what we'd consider 'socializing' for the most part. Probably like acting like morons. :xp:

<3 pre-programmed NPCs :p

See? This proves my point. They're exceptions! And, as everyone says, exceptions prove the rule.
You do realize the only reason people say that is because they've lost an argument and aren't willing to concede...?

Besides, there's no rule here. Only an inaccurate stereotype.

And I DARESAY that's why women don't play the popular MMO's in the numbers that men do; whatever folks are doing in there I don't think it what we'd consider 'socializing' for the most part. Probably like acting like morons. :xp:

You say it. But it's you. What if I said to you that I have a little census at hand that states women are 65% of the MMOs players on Brazil? Of course you can consider them an exception since, for example, 20% of the european MMO players are female, but...

Who can guess what a woman is thinking? :xp:

There's a good social aspect to MMOs. I turn off the local channel for the most part in towns so I don't have to 'socialize' with horny 13 year old boys, but I socialize with the guild I play with. Niner, stoffe, and I run around in Guild Wars with some regularity, and we game with both our guild and the larger alliance. Last night we ran through a tough part of the game with 8 of us guild members (the max party size) while chatting on Vent, and we all had a great time.

My dad cooks. Both my grandfathers could cook. Hubby cooks and does the laundry. My son learned to cook a few weeks ago when I was too sick with the flu to do much of anything, and he did a marvelous job. He's learning how to clean, too, just like my daughter. And just to break the stereotype, I know the difference between a Phillips and slotted screwdriver, can run a table saw, helped with re-roofing our garage last year, and installed the kitchen faucet. Both my kids will learn how to use tools just like both will learn how to cook and clean, and the entire family will enjoy a variety of styles of video games. Welcome to the 21st century.

When was the last time you ever saw a man who wasn't a professional chef do a decent job cooking, Inyri?
I have met more guys than girls who are actually interested in cooking, and can blab on about new, covenient and exciting ways to cook fish.

See? This proves my point. They're exceptions! And, as everyone says, exceptions prove the rule.
I've never heard that in my life:/ Pretty funky logic you have there:P

<3 pre-programmed NPCs
Aye aye! Those with smexy voice-overs :p

I've never heard that in my life:/ Pretty funky logic you have there:P

Never? Merely means that if you can find few counterexamples to refute an argument, it pretty much holds true (not absolutely, since there are the odd obvious exceptions, but generally).

I've known a few girls who can't cook/won't learn. Pathetic really, given that most cooking usually only involves following directions.....and there are more cooking books out there than you could read in a lifetime. Guess they make enough money to eat out or just plan on finding themselves a good "chef". Besides, limiting yourself to simple things like peanutbutter&jelly sandwiches, hotdogs and hamburgers, etc.......just seems so........well, limiting.

captain-oblivious-block.jpg

Anyway, Totenkopf, patheticness is subjective. :p

Pretty much true (like most things when it comes to opinions). The pathetic comment, though was more generally aimed, as most cooking is merely a matter of following directions. Anyone (female/male) that whines "..but i can't cook" is likely illiterate. ;)

So, what should devs/gaming companies do to appeal to more females? More social interaction in MMOs? More role-playing games? Is there something in 'male games' that could be changed to make it more female friendly, if it should be changed in the first place? Should we work towards games that appeal to both genders or should there be 'male-friendly games' and 'female-friendly games'?

Should we work towards games that appeal to both genders or should there be 'male-friendly games' and 'female-friendly games'?

Ugh. That's pretty hard to answer.

But I guess that making a game that appeals both genres would be difficulty, not to mention another load of worries on the devs backs. But the other option is equally bad, doing gender oriented games and still be careful to not make it so clear that game X is for the men and Y is for the women.

More role-playing games?

I don't think women prefer especially RPGs over the other genres.

But I guess that making a game that appeals both genres would be difficulty, not to mention another load of worries on the devs backs. But the other option is equally bad, doing gender oriented games and still be careful to not make it so clear that game X is for the men and Y is for the women.
Well it's not as if you have to make 100% of game X for men and 100% of game Y for women. Everyone is drawn to a game for specific reasons; add some things men like and some things women like, and potentially soften the edges. That way women will be drawn to it for their reason, and men will be drawn to it for their reason, and if you soften both up a little easy aspect will not deter the other gender from playing. I've played many-a-game like that. C&C Renegade was one of my favorites; I loved the team aspect of the game (you couldn't really play successfully without working with your team), and I'm sure the guys loved being able to hop into the mobile artillery and blowing the crap out of the other team's base. ;)

I don't think women prefer especially RPG's over the other genres.
It's not that women prefer RPG's over, say, first person shooters. It's not the game type at all. It's usually how the games are set up that affect whether or not women are drawn to them. Let's face it, most FPS's are fairly shallow. RPG's by their nature really (for the most part) have to have considerably more depth than an FPS, so that's probably why women tend to prefer RPG-type games.

However I myself really liked the Call of Duty series because I fell in love with the SP campaign. I'm very fond of WW2 history and I thought the stories were told wonderfully. Plus it wasn't just a 'point and shoot'; you had to be smart. :D

Archived