Home

A summer 2008 game will be released in...

Char Ell

A summer 2008 game will be released in...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. A summer 2008 game will be released in...

• May, June, or July
    • June, July, or August
    • July, August, or September
    • August, September, or October
    • September, October, or November
    • None of the above options mean summer 2008 to me

I considered posting this in Kavar's Corner but didn't think it's that serious of a subject.

As some of you may be aware, LucasArts has quietly pushed the release quarter for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed from Spring 2008 to Summer 2008. While that in and of itself is not the reason I'm starting this thread, this change did get me to thinking. What does summer 2008 mean? I know what I think it means but I wonder if other people think the same thing? Now you know the reason for the poll question. :)

I did make the assumption that all poll participants agree that a seasonal quarter like summer 2008 is a 3 months period of time. ;)

Estimated dates are just that. Estimates.

A summer release date could mean anything. Look at Duke. It has had a few release dates, but has taken almost 10 years to come out. Summer 2008 could mean winter of 2018.

If it makes the game better, I say push the game as far back as they like. Getting worked up about dates is basically the same as giving yourself false hope. Wait until it goes gold to get worked up over something.

I think perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of the poll. :) I don't intend for this to be a gripe session about games that don't make their originally announced release dates. I just want to find out what months people think of when told a game will be released during the summer of a particular year. I just provided the background for my posing the question, that's all. One could reasonably expect forum members from the Oceania region to select the last option in the poll. ;)

Eh, I voted for the "May, June, or July" option. Makes sense to me mainly because LA has released there video games in May. Or at least that was only with Episode 3 video game. It sounds a lot more realistic if the game was released around "August, September, or October". That is my view...

According to meteorology, summer is the whole months of December, January, and February in the Southern Hemisphere, and the whole months of June, July, and August in the Northern Hemisphere.
Emphasis added.

I could be giving marketing people much more credit than they are due, but I can't imagine that they would start arbitrarily redefining commonly accepted seasons.

Eh, I voted for the "May, June, or July" option. Makes sense to me mainly because LA has released there video games in May. Or at least that was only with Episode 3 video game. It sounds a lot more realistic if the game was released around "August, September, or October". That is my view...

The movies all came out in May, and are considered "summer blockbusters", but yes, not as realistic.

Doesn’t LucasArts usually release thing early. Maybe they are actually waiting till the game is complete or till the Christmas buying season, whichever come first.

I voted June, July and August. Always understood Labor Day to be the last blowout of summer and it is the first Monday of September. So I just worked back from there. Now if I went strictly by temperature only, I’d vote for all of the above.

I don't mind games getting delayed, i just judge if it was worth it by playing it. A game like Stargate worlds i wouldn't mind if they delayed it for another year as long as it has the utmost level of polish on the release. Only because i have high hopes for that game and want it to receive their full attention. So it can receive mine. :smash:

I could be giving marketing people much more credit than they are due, but I can't imagine that they would start arbitrarily redefining commonly accepted seasons.
Probably not, but I originally thought of it in equivalent terms to the calendar quarters of the year, e.g.

Q1 = Winter in northern hemisphere, Summer in southern hemisphere

Q2 = Spring in northern hemisphere, Fall in southern hemisphere

Q3 = Summer in northern hemisphere, Winter in southern hemisphere

Q4 = Fall in northern hemisphere, Spring in southern hemisphere

About half of the poll participants thus far agree with the seasonal definitions you cited from wikipedia. IMHO though game publishers that announce a seasonal quarter as the timeframe for a game's release are at best intentionally ambiguous and at worst exhibiting a callous hemispherocentric line of thinking. ;P

what a curious thread. Estimating about an estimate?? Sounds truly Monty Pythonesque :p

Theres obviously some QA issue that came up in development/testing that theyre wanting to tweak. This is a good thing.. better that than release a game replete with bugs, inconsistencies interface problems etc.

They could just as easily say 2009 in a couple of months ;) Best thing to do is put it out of your mind and be pleasantly surprised when someone tells you its just about to be released!! (like happened to me with Mass Effect for PC :) )

mtfbwya

Usually companies describe time frames like this in terms of fiscal quarters, and for those companies which have a fiscal year beginning in January the quarters fall as you'd expect:

1Q08 = Jan - Mar

2Q08 = Apr - Jun

3Q08 = Jul - Sep

4Q08 = Oct - Dec

Lucasarts fiscal year ends in April so:

1Q08 = May - Jul '08

2Q08 = Aug - Oct '08

3Q08 = Nov - Jan '09

4Q08 = Feb - Apr '09

Internally they're probably targeting to get it released during 1Q08 which roughly translates to Summer 2008.

Congratulations to the 10 people who got it right (in regards to TFU anyway). TFU will be released in September according to Lucasarts.
:lol: As far as I'm concerned there wasn't a "correct" answer to this poll question. :) Unfortunately it seems TFU's release window became the focus of this thread when in reality it was just the impetus for me to pose the larger question.

If one were to ask someone in Australia what consecutive three months they would expect a summer 2008 game to be released I anticipate they would answer December-February or somewhere in that range. I guess people in the southern hemisphere just have to realize that most games are made in the northern hemisphere and so when games are announced for release in a seasonal quarter then they just need to remember that it's the seasonal quarter for the northern hemisphere, not their own. :giveup:

Archived