Home

How much does a gallon of gas cost for you now?

Jae Onasi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about $3.65/gallon here where I live, and that was yesterday at Costco. :( I am not of the required age to drive yet. I still feel the effects though.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know exactly why gas has gone up so much even in just the last week. I know that it is inflation, but logically, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Is it just these huge oil companies that are just being greedy? Or is there really a problem? Does anyone have any sort of an answer?

*googles gallon* Well, 1 gallon is about 3.79 litres, so that makes it roughly USD2.35 for a gallon. You might say it's ridiculously cheap (thanks to government subsidies, as their form of apology for selling off our high quality petroleum and letting us burn cheap, sulfur-rich stuff instead), but we also pay exorbitant taxes for buying cars, which can't really cover the subsidy within the lifetime of the car:/

It's about $3.45/gal, but I also get a gas discount from the grocery chain that amounts to anywhere from ~.50 to .80 less/gal based on whatever I have to get there between fillups. No fuel cell, but only need to refill every two weeks myself. Now, if we could only get a gas tax holiday (preferably permanent), that would shave about another .60-.70gal. off the price.

I'm paying ~$3.50-70 / gal of 91 octane right now. I haven't had to fill up since the prices recently spiked, hence the price range.

I fill up both cars(the daily driver and the racer) with 91 about every couple weeks. Ironically, the racer gets better gas mileage than the daily when driven around town, and I don't DD a Stupid Useless Vehicle-- I just have a lead foot and love driving. As soon as it warms up a little more I'm biking everywhere-- lose some weight for race season and save money = win!

For the question on why the price has spiked, the answer(to the best of my understanding) is that in the US we have minimal gas taxes and pay slightly more than market rate, anywhere from 30-80 cents / gal IIRC. Since the price per barrel just spiked to $117, the market rate/gal goes up, and we pay more. Gotta love there being a war in the car food producing countries. Granted, this is an oversimplification, and there are a lot of other factors that go into gas prices(like greedy oil baron profits, infrastructure costs, shipping costs, etc).

I'm going to be "enjoying" the $3.50/gal price until sept, when I go to Germany for a year and get to pay >$8.00 / gal to indulge my habit. Source. That's for their equivalent to 91/93 octane premium, they also sell 100 octane at the pump too.

Gotta pay to play, that's my opinion on this mess. What sucks is I'm doing this on a broke college student budget. Gas > race tires > food.

I'm going to be "enjoying" the $3.50/gal price until sept, when I go to Germany for a year and get to pay >$8.00 / gal to indulge my habit. Source. That's for their equivalent to 91/93 octane premium
In Germany every Euro for gas is made of 78 tax-cents and 22 gas-price-cents, actually. And we pay € 1.41 per litre (today's price for 91 octane). That's about € 5.30 per US-gallon. Even for an imperial gallon we wouldn't be at over 8 Euro gas price. That source is wrong.

In Germany every Euro for gas is made of 78 tax-cents and 22 gas-price-cents, actually. And we pay € 1.41 per litre (today's price for 91 octane). That's about € 5.30 per US-gallon. Even for an imperial gallon we wouldn't be at over 8 Euro gas price. That source is wrong.

He wrote $8, not 8 euros. 5.3 euros is close to $8.25 +/- at current rates.

No problem. I mean, if you guys were paying the equivalent of ~$13/gal, I think the EU would be in big trouble economically (likely everyone else too for that matter). Still, just as $13/pack of cigarettes wouldn't likely end smoking, $13/gal of gas won't stop anyone from driving (though there'd be little $$ left for much else). ;)

TODAY I'M GOING TO FILL MY TANK FOR 43CENTS A GALLON !!!!!

I've been using the Piggly Wiggly Pig Card incentive and I've eaten myself down to 43cents a gallon on my next fill. WHOOOOP !!!

For those not familiar, Piggly Wiggly is a grocery chain around these parts and they offer money off of gas at participating stations.

The more groceries you buy, the more $$ off of a gallon of gas you get.

We've been saving up for weeks, waiting to cash in.

Archived