Home

How much does a gallon of gas cost for you now?

Jae Onasi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Germany every Euro for gas is made of 78 tax-cents and 22 gas-price-cents, actually. And we pay € 1.41 per litre (today's price for 91 octane). That's about € 5.30 per US-gallon.

It's pretty much the same price in Finland.

Meh.

I paid $3.489 per gallon last night in a county just outside of Houston, TX. If I would have waited until I was in the Houston metropolitan area I could have paid about .10 more.

...and I <3 my hybrid :D (I fill up every two weeks)

I don’t want to hear it. I’m already having buyer’s remorse for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4dr I ordered last month and I haven’t even driven it yet. 15 to 16 miles per gallon isn’t sounding so appealing right now. Thank God, the President has a compressive secret energy strategy or we could still be paying less than $2.00 a gallon.

its hovering at around $3.30 or so where i'm at, although it could've gone up since yesterday. good thing for me that i'm getting some new performance parts in my truck that will help the fuel economy. i'm also rather fortunate that i only have a V6 in the truck instead of a big V8 or the like.

all i've got to say is that this is getting ridiculous. we have to pay through the nose to get something that we need just to move around while oil executives are lining their pockets with gold. if they would actually do something with that money, say build some modern refineries (which is a contributor to the problem), then i wouldn't be so critical. however, they aren't, and all it does is make me look at them with disgust.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know exactly why gas has gone up so much even in just the last week. I know that it is inflation, but logically, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Is it just these huge oil companies that are just being greedy? Or is there really a problem? Does anyone have any sort of an answer?
Supply and demand. Whenever something threatens supply (instability in the region, speculation on scarcity, etc), then demand goes up. When demand goes up, people are willing to pay more for that good or service.

Oil is tied to the U.S. dollar and volatility in our economy drives the price of oil, which in turn creates more volatility, etc (bet the geniuses who negotiated this with OPEC didn't plan on *that* happening). Terrorists are bombing pipelines and increased instability in even small oil producing countries makes commodity traders nervous.

So is there any one, simple reason (i.e. "greed") that is driving this process? No. Something to thing about though: if "the experts" are right and world oil production has already peaked, then oil is going to become more scarce, not less. If you think things are bad now, just wait.

*Hugs the Fuel Cell Car in my driveway*

you have the FCX?? Interesting .. how much MPG ??

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so ;) Liberia and Myanmar are the only two other countries that will still use that arcane system........not exactly esteemed company :p

*looks up litres to gallons converter*

ok, 1 gallon is about 4.5 L....so to get 1 gallon of unleaded in Oz, will need to pay $4.68 AUD which is about $4.30ish US these days

My 2004 Gen II Prius gets me a very consistent 45-50 MPG ;) Since fuel prices have been going up, every 2nd monkey and their banana ask me about that car! :)

mtfbwya

The local petrol station's selling for about 119p a litre. If a gallon is 4.55 litres then it's about £5.41 which, roughly converted, would be about $10.80 a gallon. Consider yourselves lucky ;).

Mind, petrol and other fuels are heavily taxed in the UK. Apparently it makes us more environmentally friendly but the only effect I can see is that of making poor families poorer...

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so ;)
We fought a revolution so we do not have to obey the world’s rules.

The U.S. government has tried to convert the country to the metric system; the American consumer is just too stubborn to allow it. So instead we continue to use our old ineffective system.

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so ;)
You know how we love to flaunt our backwards ways.

And in return for tolerating us you get McDonald's. No need to thank us.

My 2004 Gen II Prius gets me a very consistent 45-50 MPG ;) Since fuel prices have been going up, every 2nd monkey and their banana ask me about that car! :)
I bought my Civic Hybrid thinking that it would be my daughter's car in a few years, but I bumped into a guy this weekend that drives a Smart Car. Now I'm thinking I'll just wait and then buy her one of those instead (safe, great gas mileage, and no backseat).

Ό Λογος.
We fought a revolution so we do not have to obey the world’s rules.
It's all the old folks. As soon as we get rid of them we can move to metric! :xp:
You know how we love to flaunt our backwards ways.

:rofl:

Prices have gone up about $.03 around here since Sunday.

*pops in* Prices here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) have shot up in the past couple of weeks to a high of $3.50, but usually around $3.39-3.45 (approximate calculation, I'm too fat and lazy to run outside and check the closest gas station :cowdance <-- Love the cow. Love it!

$3.89... No I'm not kidding.

:drop2: How... how do you survive?

Great. Thanks. My mom's giving me a weird look now 'cause I'm laughing so hard :lol: <3

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now I'm thinking I'll just wait and then buy her one of those instead (safe, great gas mileage, and no backseat).

Ooh, a 'no-park' car for daughters. Good idea. My other choice was to invite the date in and do a re-enactment of the 'Brian the boyfriend meets The Dad' Hummer commercial.

Greed.

Yeah thats pretty much it right there. Theres no fuel shortage, were not bleeding the oil out of the earth so fast that its almost gone. If anyones telling you different they are lying to you. So the only possible explanation is greed.

A few years ago, I could drive from Michigan to Atlanta on 15$, gas was that cheap.

The other explanation I have is that the gas companies are in bed with the eco-nuts, and are trying to make us "stop destroying the planet" by making gas so expensive we will go by bus or something... like buses are so non-polluting... >.>

On my way to work tonite, I passed two gas stations. One had it for 3.67, the other had it for 3.45, guess who had no business?

You mean... the English system? :p

Though even they have moved on... ;) 'Tis called progress!!

As far as eco friendly cars are concerned, I'm all for the H-cell/Electric hybrid. A full H-Cell car simply doesnt have the capacity to regenerate that a electric hybrid does, and less of an eco footprint of a full electric car. Also, since the 2008 prius switched to Li-Ion polymer battery packss(over the older nickel-hydride) its mileage per galleon has almost **doubled**

mtfbwya

you have the FCX?? Interesting .. how much MPG ??

Well you can get about 160 miles (250 km) on 4kg of Gasious Hydrogen at 5000 psi, though the tanks are rated for 10,000 psi and testing it at that pressure it went near 350 miles (560 km).

Though riding in one you need to play the radio/CD as it seems that tires on the road at freeway speeds are quite loud with no engine noise to help dampen it! :lol: (You can only really hear the cooling fans running as far as 'noise' the car makes, and the road noise isn't too bad.)

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so ;) Liberia and Myanmar are the only two other countries that will still use that arcane system........not exactly esteemed company :p

Are you insane, do you realise the amount of road signs alone that would have to be changed if we went metric? Huh? Huh? Oh the humanity!

I know I have relatives down south that would have a real problem with that thar metric system! *Spits tobacca in spitoon*

Hovering around $3.36 here. I'm currently headed to Cygnus' with an empty tanker truck.

It's only a 15gal max.

I filled my car up for $10.34 yesterday. 69c/gal.

It's like $3.70 something around here.

It took almost two months of groceries to get over $3 off a gallon.

Nice savings, but I gained like 10 lbs.

Archived