Home

Best Ending in a Video Game (omg spoilerz)

jrrtoken

Pretty self-explanatory, eh? Just post what your favorite ending in a video game is, but don't just put the title of the game, include reasons why it's your favorite, and if possible, include a link to a video of the ending.

In my opinion, Riven: The Sequel to Myst has the best video game ending. The feeling of finally vanquishing the villain Gehn, saving the inhabitants of the age of Riven, rescuing Catherine, the wife of Atrus, is obtained, leaving you immensely satisfied. The part where you fall into the Star Fissure (Outer Space), is actually the same perspective of the intro to the original game, Myst. The epilogue by Atrus is also especially moving, especially his final sentence: "...and now, I am at rest, understanding that in books, and ages, and life, the ending can never truly be written."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXGrgFXuRU

Seen a lot of endings in my time, and am drawing blanks on quite a few games.

An ending that comes directly to mind, however, would be the ending to Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

There are a number of things I find fascinating about the Arthas character. He's a Paladin that tried so hard to protect his kingdom that he became the very thing he hated, and thus led him to be arguably the most powerful living being currently in the Warcraft Universe. He walked up that throne with the pleas of people he had wronged ringing through his head, yet he still let the Lich King go after all he had done to him and the inhabitants of Azeroth. He sits down on the throne of Azeroth and simply waits...

The story may have had its flaws, but I loved the character through and through. This is partly the reason I am so pissed at Blizzard for releasing this Wrath of the Lich King expansion and eventually allowing the players to fight and possibly kill Arthas.

They give such cheap, material deaths to characters that I loved in the previous games.

Mass Effect No, I don’t want to give Achilles anymore fodder for his false accusations of my fanboyism. ;)

I’m going with BioShock. The actions of the Little Sister and then the narrated cut scene ending showing the future was very satisfying to me. I like the :ang3: ending best, but they were all good.

Also loved TSL ending.:xp:

Mass Effect No, I don’t want to give Achilles anymore fodder for his false accusations of my fanboyism. ;)
You ruin all my fun!

I get back from the gym and refresh the page to find this:

fanboypm0.jpg

Immediately I start salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs and my mind starts cycling through potential responses. Then you just go and snatch the carpet out from underneath me like that. Poor show I say.

:xp:

Hmm, the ending to Zelda OoT was pretty satisfying. Truthfully, not many games nowadays have endings worth the tattered, gin soaked bar napkin paper they're written on.

So true. :(

Even though the game is ~10 years old I won't spoil it.

To me the best ending is choosing what you want to be at the end of the Baldur's Gate Trilogy.

I want to say Bioshock so bad...but I can't. The endings are tied in very well, but they're just so short. I always felt a lingering disappointment upon completing the game. After such a climactic finish, and such an amazing game overall, the thirty-or-so second endings were just not enough. I'm still pumped from the final fight when the main menu comes back up. I couldn't help but think "...that's it?" the first time I played. Sorry Bioshock. The endings are still good though. I can't help but get a little tear in the eye seeing the good ending. :roleyess:

I don't think I really have a favorite ending, per say.

I want to say Bioshock so bad...but I can't. The endings are tied in very well, but they're just so short.
And BioShock short ending is one of the things I love about it. I want to play a video game, not watch a cut scene. BioShock ending tells me what happen it a short compact, yet still emotional way. I guess it all a matter of taste.

The reason I could not actually pick Mass Effect, besides my desire to ruin Achilles’ fun, was that it is a trilogy so BioWare could not give me a clear picture of Shepard or the other NPC future.

Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker...but, (for me) only if you have played Ocarina of Time before...

You return to the world of Ocarina of Time, Hyrule field itself, which lies beneath the ocean now...and you beat Ganon....there, your best friend (The King) sacrifices himself to keep Ganon out. The underwater-world tears apart as you drift to the surface in an air bubble...however, your friend stays behind...

Or, speaking of Gamecube games:

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue leader

At the end, you can unlock 'what if' scenarios, where you can play Vader at the Death Star run. You can then destroy the rebels. Also, if you succeed at this, you can unlock an mission which has you destroy the rebellion after their failed attempt to destroy the Death Star...excellent gaming

Well, for starters, I loved every ending in Deus Ex: Invisible War (I think I'm among the few who preferred Invisible War over the original Deus Ex). Why did I love these endings? Well, every ending portrayed a good, bad and "gray" future, but every good, bad and "gray" were of different types. For example, the Omar ending shows that Earth is ultimately devastated and only the few that chose the Omar way of life have survived, losing their individuality and humanity, but gaining the ability to adapt to any environment and conditions, while the Templar ending shows the Knights Templar and their supporters persecuting and killing everyone who has been modified, or supports biomodification and after they've finished that crusade, they turn inwards and start a kind of religious crusade on the rest of humanity. Both endings are probably equally bad, but in a very different way.

VTM Bloodlines, of course. Every single ending was good, but the best were the Anarchs/Solo endings where the sarcophagus is opened. I loved them not only because they turned out to be funny as hell, but because they showed how absurd the entire battle over the sarcophagus was. Everything turned out to be set up by Jack (presumably under Caine's instructions) so the opposing factions would destroy each other and in the end the "gift" Jack left in the sarcophagus would finish off anyone left alive who's corrupt enough to think he'll be able to seize control using that power.

I also loved the Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance endings. Each of them completed a certain circle, yet each had a great cliffhanger, it's like watching a season of your favorite show - the entire season has it's own story and when it ends that story is over, but the overall story might not be.

There's a bunch of other endings that I loved, but these are the first that come to mind.

Seen a lot of endings in my time, and am drawing blanks on quite a few games.

An ending that comes directly to mind, however, would be the ending to Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

There are a number of things I find fascinating about the Arthas character. He's a Paladin that tried so hard to protect his kingdom that he became the very thing he hated, and thus led him to be arguably the most powerful living being currently in the Warcraft Universe. He walked up that throne with the pleas of people he had wronged ringing through his head, yet he still let the Lich King go after all he had done to him and the inhabitants of Azeroth. He sits down on the throne of Azeroth and simply waits...

The story may have had its flaws, but I loved the character through and through. This is partly the reason I am so pissed at Blizzard for releasing this Wrath of the Lich King expansion and eventually allowing the players to fight and possibly kill Arthas.

They give such cheap, material deaths to characters that I loved in the previous games.

Indeed. The ending was awesome, wish Illidan won though. (you amass a huge force in one campaign only to wreck it in another, where's the justice in that?)

KotOR DS.

Also, the Warcraft III ROC ending, where Archimonde gets attacked by wisps is awesome.

I loved the ending in Metal Gear Solid II, and the ending in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow.

I also liked Mass Effect's ending, Fable's ending, KOTOR II's ending, Max Payne 2's ending, Halo 1's ending.

I may be forgetting a bit more, but I'll list them here later.

games with great endings:

Chronicles of Riddick:EFBB - how the warden dies is just funny as heck, and it makes a great cap off to one heck of a great thrill ride with the final sequence and ensuing boss fight.

STALKER - this one had multiple endings, but the one with longest gameplay (which had you destroying C-Consciousness) had a very good and a very fitting ending. the rest of the endings were interesting, but that one was the best.

Oblivion - okay, so the game never really "ends", but the main storyline does. if you haven't played the game, i won't spoil it, but if you have, then you know what i'm referring to. ;)

FEAR - lets face it, surviving a nuclear blast was incredible. then, you had to see that little girl climbing into your helicopter right at the end just to let you know that its not over. creepy and fitting all at the same time.

Immediately I start salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs

Sweet, obscure Psychology 101 reference, nothing can beat that when browsing at 1:30 in the morning, tired as hell but unable to sleep.

Anyway, on-topic I vote for Chrono Trigger, because you could play the game 13 times and see a different ending each time and they were all equally epic, well sort of.

Arcanum.

It was a return to form after Fallout - an ending where you actually hear about what happened everywhere else, where your actions actually changed stuff? Not to mention that if you add in the last hour it's some of the most satisfying gaming I've ever had.

StarCraft. Tassadar flying the Gantrithor into the the Overmind, coming so close to ending the threat of the Zerg forever, but not claiming total victory thanks to the abilities of Sarah Kerrigan.

Exile: Escape from the Pit. Alright, the actual ending wasn't as great, but the final hour or so is the most intense assassination ever.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Random crap? Hell yes! (Not serious, the ending really sucks, actually.)

FEAR - lets face it, surviving a nuclear blast was incredible. then, you had to see that little girl climbing into your helicopter right at the end just to let you know that its not over. creepy and fitting all at the same time.

I was going to mention that, but decided not to for some reason. I love how it's presented in game. I was really excited when I finally got outside and saw it was morning, but then then the explosion happened :(.

I quite enjoyed the ending of Mass Effect. Not just the final cutscenes, but the whole last couple hours are pretty damn epic.

I especially like the fleet battle scenes. The entire ending is very epic, indeed.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Random crap? Hell yes! (Not serious, the ending really sucks, actually.)

I still don't get that game. They tried waaaaay too hard to make a good game.

Yeah, Nexus is really fun, I really enjoy playing the game, but the plotline is so ludicrously bizarre that it's like looking at a Lovecraftian Horror, only instead of my mind snapping and I start screaming "I'a! I'a! Ph'nlgui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" I just get a headache and wonder why they felt the need to complicate the already acceptable plotline of the Mechanoids attacking the Vardrag/Human/Gorg systems and them being forced to unite for survival. Every mission in the Sol System after you first leave it is like getting a dental drill driven through your tooth and into your jawbone without any forms of anesthesia.

Archived