Home

Is a MI2:SE possible at all?

Laserschwert

While it's really nicely photoshopped, it doesn't have the same charm as the original, it feels sorta, fake.

The lighting in that scene really gives it atmosphere and a certain daunting nature.

I'm going to rework that scene in 3D to ensure the lighting is perfect on the main beams and surrounding objects.

Think of it as a forced perspective shot where I construct the scene in one view only, render it and that becomes the static (for now) background that loosely matches the original scene.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A perfect MI2 Special Edition would have three different modes

A) oldschool, original background art and style

B) traditional camera angles but redrawn, lighting & mood effects, more detail

C) ability to go into the third dimension to see the whole world from a different angle. Imagine the Scummbar in Source, only modeled that it would match up perfectly with the original fixed point of view and if you feel like it, you can start to explore it in 3D

I know it's impossible to do, but it would be so damn neat.

Even with "impossible" angles and forced perspective, you can always move the camera +/- 5° and the effect will work.

Seperating the layers into immediate foregrnd, foregrnd, middle and backgrnd and adding parallax scrolling to most of the rooms would also drastically improve the feel of the world.

As I've suggested before we could use the original sprites but have redrawn backgrounds.

Why suggest it again? It was a terrible idea the first time (no offence) It would just look so shoddy...

However, keeping with this idea, I do think it would look cool if instead of redrawing everything, the sprites just had added inbetween frames. I do love smoothly animated pixels (Metal Slug). But then still with the pixelated backgrounds.

I wouldn't mind having the fan edition running at 640 x 480 to really show off the redrawn backgrounds and producing sprites that closely match the original. The increased resolution would allow anti-aliasing to be utilised on the sprites and inbetween frames could be easily created with a little patience.

Why suggest it again? It was a terrible idea the first time (no offence) It would just look so shoddy...

However, keeping with this idea, I do think it would look cool if instead of redrawing everything, the sprites just had added inbetween frames. I do love smoothly animated pixels (Metal Slug). But then still with the pixelated backgrounds.

It wouldn't look that bad would it?

Looking great!

But wasn't he mocked in the game, for his beard not being dense and everything? Basically the poor try of growing a beard? Not sure if I remember it correctly though...

And I think his hair should look messier... the original sprite always gave me the impression, that some strands of hair would just stand out, as they slipped out of his hair tie.

Archived