Home

MI: Special Edition - Overall GOOD or BAD?

parabolee

Special Edition - Good or Bad?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Special Edition - Good or Bad?

• GOOD - Overall I'm very happy with the Special Edition.
    • GOOD - Happy, but worries the issue's will spoil it.
    • BAD - Pretty much everything is bad. I'll stick with the original thanks.
    • BAD - Too many issue's to say I'm happy. But I don't hate it either.
    • Undecided - I need to see/hear more before I make my mind up.

Quick poll.

Seems from some of the other threads that many people have more issue's with the SE than I realised. So here's my poll.

Overall are you happy with the work being done on the Special Edition? Taking the graphical overhaul, the new GUI and voice work all into consideration.

Small issue's aside, will you be excited to play the SE?

EDIT: Damn I can't edit the poll and I mistyped "worried". LOL

Its a great remake but leaves alot to be desired in the animation. Just saying......

That's cool, I fully respect everyone's opinion. I just want to know if most people are overall happy with the SE, small issue's aside.

Thanks

While it's awesome that they're revisiting the Monkey Island francise, there are of course always things that will displease long time fans.

In my case, still don't like Guybrush's sprite and I also don't really agree with the choice to keep the animations in the old style, imo they should have added diagonal sprites aswell, right now that looks like a weird combo or old and new.

While it's awesome that they're revisiting the Monkey Island francise, there are of course always things that will displease long time fans.

I my case, still don't like Guybrush's sprite and I also don't really agree with the choice to keep the animations in the old style, imo they should have added diagonal sprites aswell, right now that looks like a weird combo or old and new.

Well I have to agree insofar as I would have loved a bigger upgrade. Increasing the amount of animation frames (prevent the sliding issue by having the walk animate at the same speed as the scroll), adding diagonal walk animations and full animation to the close ups. But for me what has been done is more than enough (and more than I ever expected) to be a very happy MI fan.

Really I'm stoked for it and hope it suceeds in sales. But parabolee the Monkey Island community has been dead for years now and since there is a new Monkey island game they have VERY high expectations for it (no relations to the book made by Charles Dickins). Its natural to have complaints or doubts about this sort of thing especially since its coming from a company with a reputation such as LucasArts (I need not go there). Even do I disagree with many old MI fans complaints about these new games (mainly TOMI aka Tales Of Monkey Island) I have to deal with them and accept.

Really I'm stoked for it and hope it suceeds in sales. But parabolee the Monkey Island community has been dead for years now and since there is a new Monkey island game they have VERY high expectations for it (no relations to the book made by Charles Dickins). Its natural to have complaints or doubts about this sort of thing especially since its coming from a company with a reputation such as LucasArts (I need not go there). Even do I disagree with many old MI fans complaints about these new games (mainly TOMI aka Tales Of Monkey Island) I have to deal with them and accept.

Oh I know how dead it's been. I used to visit IHOM at least once a month and I have always been impressed how often they update considering the lack of any actual MI news. I mean the last 6 months they have been amazing, with the detailed reviews of the series.

But with all this exciting MI news, you think we would spend more time looking at the bright side of things rather than nit picking. I'm fine with nit picking (again look at my poster thread), but I'm just surprised to see more negativity than positivity.

What is the overall feelings on Tales? Is there as much doubt and dislike for what we have seen of that too? Because I could not be more psyched about Tales! I have less problems with that than SE. Because as a new game it has more freedom to pave it's own path. I have spent less time speculating on Tales because I don't want to go over every inch with a fine tooth comb on that because I want a s few spoilers as possible.

But with all this exciting MI news, you think we would spend more time looking at the bright side of things rather than nit picking. I'm fine with nit picking (again look at my poster thread), but I'm just surprised to see more negativity than positivity.

What is the overall feelings on Tales? Is there as much doubt and dislike for what we have seen of that too? Because I could not be more psyched about Tales! I have less problems with that than SE. Because as a new game it has more freedom to pave it's own path. I have spent less time speculating on Tales because I don't want to go over every inch with a fine tooth comb on that because I want a s few spoilers as possible.

Being probably one of the main people you have described, it's much easier to get excited for and love TOMI because I trust Telltale and have played and followed the works of many of the staff members there for years. I think just about everyone may be more excited for Tales because of the staff and the reputation Telltale has gained. They sure have come along way since their awful Texas Hold 'Em game years back.

With the special edition I am more negative for a few reasons:

1) Arguments aside, the quality of the new artwork is dubious to me, giving me the idea the leaders of the team aren't really big fans of the past Monkey Islands. I had the same feelings with EMI.

2) I feel if these criticisms don't make it out there, because industry people do browse these boards as well as Facebook, then either LucasArts or the team won't know that improvement is needed. It's a long shot, but some companies do take criticism to heart and listen, even if they don't acknowledge it.

3) I have no doubt the Special Edition of Monkey Island will sell well, so if that means more remakes, they are going to need to be able to do a damn good job as the other games are much more advanced and distinct, unless of course they want to go back and remake Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, The Last Crusade, or even The Labyrinth.

While Telltale doesn't have the best graphics around, I don't feel worried that the games are being done by people who don't understand, don't read forum criticisms (haha, I think that's one of the reasons they have so many boards), and will only produce better work as they go along, just as they have been.

For the voices and music of the Special Edition, I am psyched. I wish I could play the old game with them on, but oh well. The rest is, in a way, a promotional tool for TOMI.

For the voices and music of the Special Edition, I am psyched. I wish I could play the old game with them on, but oh well. The rest is, in a way, a promotional tool for TOMI.

Pretty sure we will be able to make the SE use the new sound with the old graphics. It's still running in SCUMM, so should be a simply hack.

Pretty sure we will be able to make the SE use the new sound with the old graphics. It's still running in SCUMM, so should be a simply hack.

In case the new soundtrack gets an iTune-release (which is very likely to happen), you can always use those files with the enhanced version of MI1 (with CD-music).

I'm really excited about it! Surprisingly enough, nothing in the SE really bothers me. And usually I'm a really hard person to please when it comes down to remaking or updating something from the past that I love. Example: I hated the new Star Trek movie, while it seems the rest of the planet loved it. lol

I think that the reason I'm ok with it is that they didn't change the content. I love how they made it able to seamlessly transition back to the original, almost as if to say to all of us: "Look, see? We just gave it a face lift... nothing more than that!" I really appreciate that effort.

Plus, this could potentially have HUGE repercussions for the adventure game genre as a whole. An entire generation of kids who haven't played these games might get a chance to!

I love what Tell Tale and other companies have done for the genre so far... but the SE could be the "smoking gun" that really makes our favorite genre secure a more um... secure place in the gaming industry. I don't want to say "become more mainstream" because to me that means "dumb it down so idiots will be interested in it"... but you know what I mean.

-Toryn

In case the new soundtrack gets an iTune-release (which is very likely to happen), you can always use those files with the enhanced version of MI1 (with CD-music).

Ugh. I can't stand iTunes. I hope they don't go that route. I was kind of hoping the soundtrack would be available as a free download. Or at least on CD for the cost of shipping if you buy the game online or something. Buying an MP3 feels like I'm being ripped off. I don't want to trade my money for some lossy MP3 encoded soundtrack (at least not one I didn't encode myself at my own bitrate preference). I want perfect clarity and perfect quality for whatever I buy. Buying MP3s is like a step backwards from buying a physical CD. I can't really even stand the MP3 format itself. I prefer Vorbis OGG.

I also don't trust AAC files either.

Its a great remake but leaves alot to be desired in the animation. Just saying......

If you're referring to the stutter quality, then the official LucasArts line is that they are being authentic to the original, but I wondered if there was a technical reason based on the SE being over the top of the original.

Sometimes the low frame rate of the animations retains the charm of the original -- for instance the shifty map-seller jerking about erratically.

Archived