Home

Michael Jackson Nonsense

urluckyday

Here's Bill O'Reilly's points...while I don't usually follow what he says and I take what he says in stride...he does bring up some interesting points and he does make for interesting argument...if nothing else he can be considered the devil's advocate on the subject...

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill O'Reilly is such a shameless tabloid-TV whore. :lol:

And that's news to who?:D O'Reilly uses just about every topic he rants about for ratings. I used to like the guy, but that was years ago before I realized that he was full of it 90% of the time.

Bill O'Reilly: today's worst person in the world!

Well look on the bright side: with this whole disaster behind us now, he can't do anything more to get in the news. Anything beyond this point will be of events that have been done in the past and it will get tiring before long.

I have a question: Why do you need his bullet-point comments reiterated in text on the side of the screen? And who gives a damn about Bill O'Reilly? He's a journalist and a very successful one; to do that, playing both sides of something can be an enormous help if it isn't actually necessary.

I don't know; I'm quite convinced by the idea that he really didn't - like I said, there was something quite childish about the man, and I can well believe that he didn't touch them, even if his behaviour regardless crossed boundaries of acceptability. I also think that some people might well have tried it on...

I think that this is entirely possible. It's too bad that no one knows for certain, aside from the deceased and the alleged victim(s). His vindication would have been great if he were truly innocent .

settling out of court is suspicious, though.

Definitely, and that along with his fleeing the country are the reasons why I'm incapable of giving him the benefit of the doubt. I just can't look past it, though I can't honestly say that I believe that he was guilty either. It's a good thing that this mess isn't any more than a passing interest or it would really bother me.

Blame it on the media's obsession w/celebrity. Who knows....maybe in a few years we'll hear about Elvis and Michael hanging out w/Marilyn somewhere. American pop culture is weird. American media culture even loonier.

Which Marylin we talkin' about here, buddy. :dev9:

<snip> - but the whole world (including world leaders) doesn't need to come to a standstill because an already dying man is dead.

I expect this kind of coverage from Tabloid newspapers, who operate on sensationalism (after all, he was hardly normal), but not from News Networks that should really have better things to discuss.

Well, I'd personally chalk it all up to a problem with prioritizing in America's general mentality (speaking as an example, to an extent). It's like a freefall. since things require power, and we all know what that translates out to in economic terms, I think it should be no surprise whatsoever anymore that the news coverage accross the board is becoming more and more of a sugar coating factory and producing more and more of a joke.

Thank the maker for that ever present invention known as the remote control.
Slacker. :dev8: C'mon, you oughtta be getting all excited, at least enough to get up and change it yourself. :lol:

Hate to see what you all would have done in the 70s when there were like only 6 station per market (if you were lucky).
You mean the ones with turn dials? I actually have a few of those that have not become spare parts...yet. Grew up with those until my parents got a nice mitsubishi in 1989. Even so, I liked my bicycle too much since all that was ever on was the news anyway.

If you don't want to watch it do like me, change the channel.
Or just get some fresh air and ride your bike.

True, there is the crowd mentality going on, but this was about the media talking about...themselves.
This phenomena is called Narcisus colored idiot lantern... (Or EDIT in a box) :xp:

To put this in a droid perspective:

Mockery: Oh master, a major celebrity meatbag has died! I will now proceed to talk about my insignificant feelings on that matter as if I was your best friend, despite the fact that I am a professional news reporter and you will not give a ****. But given that you are a meatbag you will watch me anyway and my ratings will skyrocket. I will also omit the fact that a Presidential meatbag in Honduras was removed by a military coup, since that is obviously worth your time to know about.

PLAGARIZER! :swear: JK...actually I'm kind of glad someone elsedoing it besides me... (just don't do *exactly* like I do it and I'll be cool)

To put it bluntly, Michael Jackson's death is not what this about. This is about the media and the crowd having an emotion fest. Just like Madoff's trial, or anything significant that the media does report. A coup in Honduras, what's there to get worked up about? Only a democracy activist would care enough to get emotional about it, so they only report about it because they have to. They report Michael Jackson's death, Madoff's trial, that French flight that crashed, or a murder case, because you get emotional about it. Emotion generates devotion, devotion generates ratings, ratings generates money, money generates jobs, jobs generate stability, stability generates some degree of normality, and normality is what everyone wants.

Well, what was normality BEFORE TV was around, hmm?

My impression about the US media is that everything has to be a show, which is why it's not surprising that they'd devote a lot of their airtime to things like this. It's not about objectivity and reporting the actual news, it's about reporting anything scandalous.

Entertained until you go insane, as a saying was once.

It is rather insulting to fact finding people to be undercut in this way. Like all their work falls on blind and deaf crowds. What passes for research nowadays (like I'm any big expert on that one), is snippets and maere advertising for brainstorming ideas instead of the actual thing. This is part of why I think America is rumored to have one of the lowest counts of annually producing engineers and scientists of all the world's nations. It isn't hard to figure out when one could actually potentially make more money and be more successful mocking research rather than doing it for real.

For example, I remember when Kosovo declared independence and there was a huge peaceful protest here in Belgrade (don't remember the exact number, but it was several hundred thousand people). Unfortunately, there were also some fourty-fifty idiots who thought it would be smart to get drunk and attack the US embassy. Guess which event got covered by CNN.

Well there's your problems right there. Yeah, I know. THAT is how the media conditions people. to think and act. Almost a form of control.

I had too much a conscience for that. Sure $20/hr was a great sounding proposition, but by the time I graduated High School...I was rather done with all the cut-throat "gotta make ratings" mindset I'd seen in the professional realm as an amateur. Also, you can only do so many times of "cut to <insert gimmick distraction here>" in order to keep the crowd interested. Sure it worked, but to be honest, unless you're *totally* into showbiz, it's demeaning beyond belief. You'd probably be better off using your own breath, and blow cleaning motherboards for computers.

Yeah, but if they do that, they'll lose money - in the end that's what it's all about.

Sadly, when has it ever been about anything else? It is showbiz even if it supposed to be serious. Here is a flavor of it:

All those pasted smiles. Lights. Makeup. Props. Cameras. Blue-screen. Douche bag staff with some vice or another. Prima-donna security with a hair trigger temper. Guest executives with checkered pants snort-laughing at you b/c they make more $$$ in one hour than you do all week. Groupie girls who don't do anything but act like a cross between office courier and glorified wench. Idiots all around you that you have to work with. ...Pretty soon that's the least of your worries.

I wonder how many of those people actually love their jobs, vs how many come home in the evening and just flop down on their chair to let out a big sigh as though they have removed a mask. ...If not have a mini-breakdown lasting for a couple hours at least.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay... so NOW they are discussing how Jackson's mother is trying to get custody of his estate. The mangy *********'s family are now taking the headlines. His physician is now being accused of a crime that Jackson ultimately did to himself. I just hope that this guy isn't charged with killing Jackson, or this is going to take headlines for months to come.

He's dead! He's had his moment in the spotlight and now I don't want him forced on us anymore... not like we ever did when he was alive. (For those who liked him, I said 'forced,' not invited.)

Jackson's will stated his mother should get custody of the kids. How he has the rest of his estate taken care of is going to be according to his will.

His doctor gave him medications that clearly should never have been given to him outside of a monitored hospital setting, and it appears this may well have contributed to his death. Michael Jackson is not a doctor. He was receiving medication that he could receive only through his doctor's authorization and advice, and had to depend on that medical advice being reliable. It was up to his doctor to take responsibility for prescribing responsibly and according to law and state regulations. If his doctor violated any of those laws, regulations, or appropriate guidelines, and it appears the doctor did, then yes, Jackson's doctor should be brought up on charges related to his death--malpractice at the very least, involuntary homicide if he didn't treat appropriately, and homicide if it's proved at all that this was intentional.

It's the nature of the industry, and Jackson's death is news for many. Many people loved him and want to hear anything they can about his death. He meant a lot to a lot of people. If you don't like hearing about Jackson's death, then all you have to do is not watch the news, or turn it off when news about him is on. If you read news on the web or in the paper, just don't read those sections. It's not that big of a deal to ignore news that's not of interest to you.

Actually it is to me. I intensely dislike seeing pop culture at the forefront of more serious topics in the news and simply am annoyed by the bold-faced titles that I cannot simply avoid. I haven't read a SINGLE article in regards to Jackson, which goes to show how much I know just by glancing at the headlines of front-page news sites.

This is an entertainer's death and nothing more. I DON'T believe that legal issues with the Jackson family's petty disputes belong outside the 'entertainment' column. Jackson's death may have been deserving of one or two front pages, but his family are by no means as newsworthy as the deceased pop star. Keep them off the front page of newspapers and websites and I won't have any complaints.

I just hope that this guy isn't charged with killing Jackson, or this is going to take headlines for months to come.
Well I wouldn’t want you inconvenienced by this. I guess the prosecutor should just forget it. To heck with holding people responsible for their actions if it comes with any type of inconveniences to the rest of us. Does this only entail celebrities or does this apply to everyone? Because those Natalee Holloway and Laci Peterson type cases got annoying after a few weeks too.

Bet'cha ya 10 to 1 that this ends up in a civil lawsuit sooner or later. And it will probably be MJ's father who trys to sue the doctor (suspect) by himself.

Then again, it could be the whole Jackson family that sues, but I wouldn't be surprised if the father filed first.

Jackson's mother has been named permanent Guardian of his children - so that should put to bed that story at least, and (rightly) move the focus onto whether his Doctor is repsonsible for his death.

I've never been a Jackson fan, but if someone is responsible for his death (apart from himself, through his long abuse of medication), then I hope they recieve justice.

Actually it is to me. I intensely dislike seeing pop culture at the forefront of more serious topics in the news and simply am annoyed by the bold-faced titles that I cannot simply avoid. I haven't read a SINGLE article in regards to Jackson, which goes to show how much I know just by glancing at the headlines of front-page news sites.

This is an entertainer's death and nothing more. I DON'T believe that legal issues with the Jackson family's petty disputes belong outside the 'entertainment' column. Jackson's death may have been deserving of one or two front pages, but his family are by no means as newsworthy as the deceased pop star. Keep them off the front page of newspapers and websites and I won't have any complaints.

Entertainment is a business, and so is reporting the news. The media's job is to make money for their shareholders. Forget the lofty crap about 'informing the people about newsworthy events'. It's a beautiful sentiment that got thrown out the window 15 years ago or more. People obviously are interested in the story. The media is doing what makes them money, regardless of how some feel about it. They're making a ton of money selling magazines and ad time on special productions about his life. There is a market for this news, and the media is making their shareholders happy.

The more I hear about the things this doctor has done, the more I suspect (alleged of course) gross negligence at the very least, misfeasance (treating him at home with medication that required hospital monitoring), nonfeasance (not calling 911 immediately once they ascertained he had no pulse or breathing), and possible malfeasance (if the doctor or someone else 'accidentally' gave him too much medication). Darth333 will likely chime in on this if I've gotten the terms wrong.... :D

Whatever the case, I cannot say this prosecution was entirely unforeseen. When it initially happened I was hearing comedians talking about how this is going to turn into a prosecution drama.

Beyond the BS: I hope if the doc is guilty that he gets what he deserves.

IT's nauseating the coverage, yes. For better or worse, though, I'm sure we all have lives to get back to. [serious Business]

The media's job is to make money for their shareholders. Forget the lofty crap about 'informing the people about newsworthy events'. It's a beautiful sentiment that got thrown out the window 15 years ago or more. People obviously are interested in the story.

So then I should be cursing the people who's lives are so empty that they cling to a dead freak's family squabbles and crucifying the one they say murdered him.

If he actually did, then I would want to see him stand trial for what he's done... PRIVATELY! Jackson earned his own reputation; this guy doesn't deserve any spotlight. The best thing would be for people to make the guy realize that he will die lonely and forgotten in prison if he did murder Jackson. Don't make him a celebrity for shoving pills down a guy's throat.

• 1 month later...

He was (is) the king of pop. He deserves every headline out there. Personally, I dislike the fact that people seem to appreciate him more after his death. Which only echoes a sad truth, as said by John Lennon:

Everybody loves you when you're six feet under.

Agreed, whole heartedly.

• 1 month later...

Archived