Home

Michael Jackson Nonsense

urluckyday

Well, by now, it's still all over the news and everywhere else, but I find myself wondering where all this "support" is coming from. I fully understand his amazing impact on the music industry forever, but I also find myself agreeing (to a point) with Peter King's statement on Jackson...

I mean, everyone knows about his outlandish plastic surgery, the treatment of his children (especially dangling a baby over a balcony), the treatment of children other than his own, etc. Since I was never around during his most popular days, I've only ever known him as a creep, and while some people may think that I can't possibly know his impact on music as a whole...I do. However, doesn't anyone think that this media coverage, recognition, public support, goes a little too far for a guy that had many abnormalities in the physical and social sense?

I applaud MJ for going on so long with the hateful and cruel rumors that tarnished his name, but I also don't think that he was still a "good" person because of it.

This idea in America and around the world that professional singers, actors, sports stars, etc. are immune to just about every mishap (including the alleged pedophilia and related problems) continues to astound me. It's the same situation with steroids in sports. You cheated, but you are still able to return. Now, if I was to cheat in college, steal or lie in a job or something like that...I'd be kicked out or lose my job in an instant, and I'd be hard-pressed to find another place to go...it's the same thing with MJ's child problems...first of all...I'd go to jail, but that aside...I'd be stuck without a job and yet, he can make millions and receive that much reaction at the time of his death. It's always sad when someone dies...but people should be remembered by their lifetime of achievements and legacies and not just their most memorable or appealing moments.

For example: If a rapist had donated to charities, helped out in the community, etc. before they had violated someone, people don't usually judge their life as being a success just because they had made only one really bad choice but rather, most view their life as wasted and disgusting...

I'm sorry if this doesn't sit well with some of you, but I don't think that Jackson deserves let alone requires this much coverage for his death.

All I can say is...for someone with such a controversial lifestyle, he's getting a lot of love and coverage from people and the media...

If I was going to die tomorrow, I guess the media would need to free up the entire year with daily coverage to cover my death because I've never broken any laws or lived in a way that has drawn so much controversy...

Anyway...that's just my two cents...I don't mean to offend but rather make conversation...

Here's the Peter King video...I don't think his bluntness is the way to go, but I do think he makes a good point in that there's something amiss in all of this.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's bang out of order in so far as Michael Jackson was never found guilty by a court of law of any counts of child molesting; what that man is saying is libel; I hate this whole trial by media, and trail without knowing the facts.

That said I do concur with his general point and that I don't get what all the hysteria regarding his death is about.

And I am quite sick of the media making a big deal out of this guy's death. For god's sake; Robert Mcnamara had passed away after Jackson and the media was already over him before they were even done saying that Jackson was history. They limited the death of one of the most significant secretaries of stats in the last century to a single headline while they continued devoting pages upon pages to this fruitcake. Like he hadn't generated and squandered enough revenue in life, why should his corpse be expected to be worth any more?

And I am quite sick of the media making a big deal out of this guy's death. For god's sake; Robert Mcnamara had passed away after Jackson and the media was already over him before they were even done saying that Jackson was history. They limited the death of one of the most significant secretaries of stats in the last century to a single headline while they continued devoting pages upon pages to this fruitcake. Like he hadn't generated and squandered enough revenue in life, why should his corpse be expected to be worth any more?

What do you expect? From what I've seen so far, the media doesn't really care about anything that doesn't involve celeberties anymore. Celeberties and what they do are the highpoint of the news all the time from what I've seen so far.

But the fact remains that MJ was the king of Pop and people all over the world loved his music. That...is why I think the press is giving him far more attention.

I've never been Jackson's biggest fan (read: I liked Thriller, and that's it).

I was fine with the coverage of his death for the first day or so - but when Sky News has uninterrupted 24 hour coverage of his death for two whole days (albeit with about 20 minutes to talk about proper news), it began to become an annoyance, especially as I like to have the news on for most of the day.

Okay, so the man was a musical genius, deprived of a childhood, and he may or may not have engaged in appropriate acts with minors - but the whole world (including world leaders) doesn't need to come to a standstill because an already dying man is dead.

I expect this kind of coverage from Tabloid newspapers, who operate on sensationalism (after all, he was hardly normal), but not from News Networks that should really have better things to discuss.

Don't let your personal bias for him get in the way of rational thought.

He was (is) the king of pop. He deserves every headline out there. Personally, I dislike the fact that people seem to appreciate him more after his death. Which only echoes a sad truth, as said by John Lennon:

Everybody loves you when you're six feet under.

What do you expect? From what I've seen so far, the media doesn't really care about anything that doesn't involve celeberties anymore. Celeberties and what they do are the highpoint of the news all the time from what I've seen so far.

No, the media wouldn't have made any hype out of Jackson if the American public simply didn't care. All I can say is that I'm not part of that crowd. Clearly there were enough who still liked that freak that he topped the news while Mcnamara faded into the mists of history.

And I'm not letting my personal feelings get in the way. I am making my contempt for Jackson very apparent in this, but it does not influence my opinion, as my contempt came from my opinion of him. Jackson was an entertainer who I might have respected, had he continued being the charismatic and amazing guy I heard him to be in the late 80's and early 90's. All I've ever seen him to be is a media junkie who acted like a child misbehaving in order to get attention. I didn't like him shoving his face in front of everyone's camera, but now every media network is shoving it beyond his grave.

He was (is) the king of pop. He deserves every headline out there. Personally, I dislike the fact that people seem to appreciate him more after his death. Which only echoes a sad truth, as said by John Lennon:

Every headline out there? So when President Obama goes to a summit in Russia to begin to mend our ties w/ the country and people hardly know about it because MJ has died...does that seem right to you? He was famous and well-known for good and bad reasons...yes he was/is the king of pop, but that doesn't warrant more important and relevant headline news to be pushed aside...oh and not to mention the death of McNamara...someone who helped to keep this country safe during the Cuban Missile Crisis...but music is more important than that. :(

One of my favorite Lennon quotes, and I agree with you about the appreciation after death. I remember on my facebook status feed (Hip teen), everyone had "OMG Michael Jackson is dead this is so sad lolz" as their statuses. And most of these kids were talking smack about him a short while before. Mourning out of guilt is such an annoying trend.

I didn't like him shoving his face in front of everyone's camera,

huh?

michael-jackson-pic-xposure-294345795.jpg

He was an entertainer so sure he hungered for the spotlight, but he also fought hard to get out of the fishbowl his life became during his downtime.

The night he died I watched and listened to the media coverage including the tributes on radio station, but since then I steered away from it and have not seen any of it. Thank the maker for that ever present invention known as the remote control. Hate to see what you all would have done in the 70s when there were like only 6 station per market (if you were lucky).

If you don't want to watch it do like me, change the channel.

Some of you, OK a LOT of you, weren't around yet when this guy was huge, and he was HUGE.

Beatles huge, to put it into perspective.

QFT

i know we can get endless coverage of a child molester but we cant get coverage of more inportant things like... lets the think... the war thats going on

What war?

You do have a point though; I consider the events of any one person to be too small to mention continuously on national news for more than one day. I wouldn't be bothered seeing mention of Jackson 'fans' selling tickets to his funeral concert in the Entertainment column, but when a large fraction of the news is related to one event, it had better be a significant event... 9/11 was a significant event. Why should the loss of one celebrity be taken as significantly as 2400 who were murdered?

What war?

You do have a point though; I consider the events of any one person to be too small to mention continuously on national news for more than one day. I wouldn't be bothered seeing mention of Jackson 'fans' selling tickets to his funeral concert in the Entertainment column, but when a large fraction of the news is related to one event, it had better be a significant event... 9/11 was a significant event. Why should the loss of one celebrity be taken as significantly as 2400 who were murdered?

The war in Iraq that the US is fighting my father was there and i dont know why so little people even know there is a war it discusts me

The night he died I watched and listened to the media coverage including the tributes on radio station, but since then I steered away from it and have not seen any of it. Thank the maker for that ever present invention known as the remote control.

That and the DVD/VCR if you don't have cable. ;)

Beatles huge would be a good way to describe the far reaching influence that Michael Jackson had/has over popular music. Without the things he did with his music and his videos the face of the music industry today would be very different. He influenced artists across numerous genres and even non musicians by their own admission, and had millions of fans across the globe.

To those who would say that he shoved his face in front of everyone's camera to gain attention...I would think that perhaps you should turn that around and examine the fact that maybe...just maybe the media, and the paparazzi were the ones doing the shoving. They do it consistently on a daily basis.

The American "national news media" ceased being journalistic a long time ago and really are no better than tabloids these days. So, as has been said, if you disagree with the amount of coverage change the channel..also perhaps you should look at the source of the coverage rather than the object of the coverage with your complaints and questions.

If indeed he did some of the things he was accused of(and exonerated of for that matter) why was he continued to be allowed near children..including his own? Why did so many people continue to support him if he was truly a monster?

I am not defending any of the questionable things he did...but I submit that perhaps the real Michael Jackson is not that some in the public continue to paint a picture of.

That said I do concur with his general point and that I don't get what all the hysteria regarding his death is about.

He was loved by many like Princess Diana was loved, to give you some UK perspective. He was someone who grew up in the media and lived a life many would dream about--being a rock star. He was a troubled person, which drew entirely too much attention from many who were only interested in sordid details, but it also drew sympathy by many who could relate to the fact that underneath the publicity veneer, he was an imperfect human like everyone else. Losing someone who had the impact on the music community to the same degree as the Beatles or Elvis is hard. Losing someone at his relatively young age is even harder. Those of us who grew up with him have lost a part of our youth.

@Darth_Yuthura--I agree with you that the coverage is entirely unbalanced--I didn't even hear that McNamara had died yesterday, and he had a huge impact on not only our involvement in the Vietnam war, but a number of other international activities.

The American "national news media" ceased being journalistic a long time ago and really are no better than tabloids these days.
I’d say that the problem with the media and paparazzi in particular is not merely an American phenomenon. Let’s not forget in 1997 a non-American death was all over the media and that funeral was also televised world wide.

princess-diana-14913.jpg

I’d say that the problem with the media and paparazzi in particular is not merely an American phenomenon. Let’s not forget in 1997 a non-American death was all over the media and that funeral was also televised world wide.

princess-diana-14913.jpg

While I suspect you might have been able to make a good point about overzealous paparazzi with that, comparing the world' obsession with Princess Di to the media's obsession with Michael Jackson is like comparing a paper cut to a hole in the head.

Archived