Home

KotOR Revised

Ulmont

Would KotOR be better as an updated version of the origional, or as an FPS Styled RPG  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would KotOR be better as an updated version of the origional, or as an FPS Styled RPG

• Origional
    • FPS Styled
    • No Prefrence

Well, I've been thinking (never a good sign). And...

Would KotOR be more fun if it was presented in an updated origional-styled version, or a new FPS style RPG like Fallout 3?

Personally, I would love to see a new KotOR where you could actually AIM at your enemies, instead of just being stationary and shooting while watching *miss* *16* *miss* *etc* flash across your screen....

As the terrible first prequal said... Vote Now.

meh, i don't think that a direct sequel to the first two games really needs *that* much of a combat system overhaul. besides, the whole point was for the game to be an RPG in the more traditional sense. given that the first game was developed by Bioware, who had just developed another RPG known as Neverwinter Nights, it made sense both from a timeline and economic perspective for them to develop the game around their existing engine.

since Obsidian did the same thing with TSL, i don't see any reason why it needs a serious overhaul like that.

would it work for a new IP within the KotOR timeframe?? sure, why not. i just don't think it would work for a direct sequel. ;)

Point. I was talking about if they hypothetically (I know they would never do this, but hypothetically) just made a duplicate of KotOR but with updated graphics, models, and a combat system that would let you control you char during combat and I dunno... aim?

ew fps. a la mass effect you mean? nah. no-one plays kotor for the combat in any case.

Well, actually I played it for both the story and the fancy Jedi combat. I agree though, definitely "Eww FPS KoTOR".

Point. I was talking about if they hypothetically (I know they would never do this, but hypothetically) just made a duplicate of KotOR but with updated graphics, models, and a combat system that would let you control you char during combat and I dunno... aim?

I don't think enough time has passed for anyone to be considering a remake of the original KoTOR. If one day some kind of miracle happens and someone does make a KoTOR 3, or a KoTOR remake, I wouldn't mind a real-time combat system, like in VTM: Bloodlines. I wouldn't mind a sequel to VTM: Bloodlines either, for that matter. :D

I believe I'd hafta stick to the original, the Kotor series is all about role-playing for the most part.

That's why the game rocks man. ;) We all have Star Wars (Kotor) role-playing fantasies.

Yeah, yeah....I know what some of you are thinking, that's not what I meant dangit. :eyeraise:*grumble* *grumble*

The original semi-turn-based combat, known as real time with pause (RTwP), would rock if was like the Baldur's Gate series. RTwP kicked ass in those games.

Of course, they used the uber Infinity engine, and not the sucky Odyssey engine, which itself was based on the even more sucky (from a gameplay perspective) Aurora engine.

My suggestion? Jade Empire's engine. Been playing it recently, and it is awesome. Perfect balance between a KOTOR engine and a Fallout Engine. You have the feats and whatnot, but you also have more control over them. Plus, it'd be cool to see Makashi and Shii-Cho and Juyo and what not all have influence on what moves you have as a player.

I think it COULD be a Good Idea, but they'd have to go with different styles than usual:

The Guns would use the Fallout 3 System and so would swords, but for the Lightsabers, I think a more JK3 would work much better.

You know, if I had any Modification Skills on Fallout 3, I'd model, texture, make weapons, AND create all the NPC's to make a Fallout 3 Endar Spire mod just to make a video of what KotOR would be like if it were more like Fallout 3.

Updated as is might be my guess. So far as what I want...meh, maybe just more moves, variants, models, and some more free movement. Jumps and more tacitcal combat.

To be honest, I'm already seeing modders ask about remaking KOTOR as a mod for JK2 and JK3...at filefront not too long ago someone was asking what scene and character would you most want to replicate from KOTOR? All I remember is that a majority overwhelmingly voted for the duel with Malak aboard the star forge.

With OJP having made the 7 lightsaber forms as well as a ton of other stuff, I'd say a JK-esque series being made to that end is a likelihood if only by fans.

^ Jedi Knight style game play would work best if they went fps/tps with the series. To be honest, I look at JK3 combat as a pretty close approximation of what KOTOR's game play would have been like if it had been more action oriented. Same types of weapons, similar types of opponents... but a lot more fun, and at the very least, more engaging.

Updated as is might be my guess. So far as what I want...meh, maybe just more moves, variants, models, and some more free movement. Jumps and more tacitcal combat.

To be honest, I'm already seeing modders ask about remaking KOTOR as a mod for JK2 and JK3...at filefront not too long ago someone was asking what scene and character would you most want to replicate from KOTOR? All I remember is that a majority overwhelmingly voted for the duel with Malak aboard the star forge.

With OJP having made the 7 lightsaber forms as well as a ton of other stuff, I'd say a JK-esque series being made to that end is a likelihood if only by fans.

I was playing MovieBattles 2 the other day, and I noticed some KOTOR and TSL style maps on there. There's the Duel on the Starforge, as you mentioned. There is also a (non-canon) map that would be an interesting addition for KOTOR, where you join either Bandon and a group of Dark Jedi or Vandar, the other masters, and a band of Jedi as you both try to get off of Dantooine before Malak blows it to Kingdom Come. You can also take control as a Darkside Exile or Vrook, as you two duke it out in Khoonda, and you can be the Exile/Visas as you fight Nihilus. I think there might be more, but I can't remember them. ATM, thats as close to KOTOR and TSL as we are going to get.

I recently saw someone post a great revan model on filefront's forums, so hopefully that'll be released soon and we'll have another piece of KOTOR in JA :o

I was playing MovieBattles 2 the other day, and I noticed some KOTOR and TSL style maps on there. There's the Duel on the Starforge, as you mentioned. There is also a (non-canon) map that would be an interesting addition for KOTOR, where you join either Bandon and a group of Dark Jedi or Vandar, the other masters, and a band of Jedi as you both try to get off of Dantooine before Malak blows it to Kingdom Come. You can also take control as a Darkside Exile or Vrook, as you two duke it out in Khoonda, and you can be the Exile/Visas as you fight Nihilus. I think there might be more, but I can't remember them. ATM, thats as close to KOTOR and TSL as we are going to get.

I recently saw someone post a great revan model on filefront's forums, so hopefully that'll be released soon and we'll have another piece of KOTOR in JA :o

I'm just going to go ahead and post most of the KOTOR related mods/content I've seen for JK2/JK3... in case anyone's curious.

FFA Manaan, WIP Manaan

FFA Taris, RPG Taris, Duel Taris

Duel Dantooine Ruins, FFA Dantooine, FFA Dantooine Enclave, 2, 3, WIP Dantooine

Duel Ravager, Duel Leviathan, Duel Starforge

FFA Korriban, RPG Korriban

Mos Kreetle (w/ explorable Ebon Hawk)

KOTOR Skin Pack

KOTOR Lightsaber Stances

KOTOR Sabers

Darth Malak

This is some of the better stuff I've found over time. There's also, as TriggerGod mentioned, a decent amount of KOTOR stuff packaged with the Movie Battles 2 mod.

Just an observation: There's a lot of other KOTOR stuff (player models etc) that I've seen out there. You'll have to find that yourself...

^ If you find it, and it's available, I'll add it to my list.

There were a lot of good KOTOR mods back on PCGM, some of which are still out there now, none of which we can discuss here on LF.

And in general, anything that was on PCGM or other sites that have since gone down is not on that list. I know I have some pretty good maps and models/skins and stuff in my base folder that I wasn't able to find working links for anymore. Anyone can shoot me a pm regarding that, but I would never upload others' work publicly without their permission.

Archived